December 07, 2021, 01:27:04 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tag, release, recapture crab study  (Read 2431 times)
thecameraguy
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2021, 03:28:17 PM »

Recent study indicates that recs are catching far more crabs than originally thought. The first link is to the article in Chesapeake Bay Magazine, the second link is to the actually study.

https://chesapeakebaymagazine.com/study-md-recreational-crab-harvest-underestimated/

https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/full/10.1139/cjfas-2020-0112

"The most noticeable differences were observed between sites in tributaries along the Western Shore of the bay, Eastern Bay, and the Miles and Wye rivers, where recreational fishing was greatest, and areas of the mainstem bay, where recreational harvest was negligible."

I'm not sure you need an expensive scientific study to realize these areas are favorites of recs..... they should have just checked here!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 03:38:19 PM by thecameraguy » Logged

It only cost twice as much to go 1st class.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 04:24:18 PM »

Thanks for posting.

I'm curious to see what, if anything, happens with this information.  

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 11:24:31 AM »

agreed Ray but I doubt fisheries manages will do anything, it goes against what they have always preached to comm crabbbers. I also don't think dnr will start a rec law to require reporting since they have such a hard time with what comm send them already. the only way to handle it would be to go to a 1 bu per boat limit for recs.as SOME other states do.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 01:15:56 PM »

agreed Ray but I doubt fisheries manages will do anything, it goes against what they have always preached to comm crabbbers. I also don't think dnr will start a rec law to require reporting since they have such a hard time with what comm send them already. the only way to handle it would be to go to a 1 bu per boat limit for recs.as SOME other states do.

HEY!! Stop that now. That's blasphemy. LOL.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 01:54:06 PM »

except for wallco. is that ok ?

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 06:23:57 PM »

except for wallco. is that ok ?

LOL. Perfect.   Smiley Smiley
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 06:59:29 PM »

Since this topic was started I've been wondering how I would get reduce the recreational impact...I can't say that I've been able to come up with a solid solution.  1 bushel a day?  That will bring it down but I don't think by much.  I just wonder how many people are actually able to get two baskets.  Just from witnessing myself, I doubt the majority of recs are going home with two bushels the majority of the time.  So that 1 bushel limit might stop guys from taking an extra 2-3 dozen crabs. 

But I can't say I've come up with anything better.  Maybe allow them only one day of the weekend instead of both and that day must be declared when you get your license.  Or limit gear to trotline or traps, not both.  I don't think there's an easy answer, it will be a combination of things.  But I would bet the DNR will turn a blind eye to this study and it'll just be a waste of taxpayer money.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 07:27:48 PM »

Since this topic was started I've been wondering how I would get reduce the recreational impact...I can't say that I've been able to come up with a solid solution.  1 bushel a day?  That will bring it down but I don't think by much.  I just wonder how many people are actually able to get two baskets.  Just from witnessing myself, I doubt the majority of recs are going home with two bushels the majority of the time.  So that 1 bushel limit might stop guys from taking an extra 2-3 dozen crabs. 

But I can't say I've come up with anything better.  Maybe allow them only one day of the weekend instead of both and that day must be declared when you get your license.  Or limit gear to trotline or traps, not both.  I don't think there's an easy answer, it will be a combination of things.  But I would bet the DNR will turn a blind eye to this study and it'll just be a waste of taxpayer money.

Or we could just eliminate COMMERCIAL crabbing altogether, and keep it strictly a recreational activity, as originally intended by our creator.   Grin Grin
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 06:17:28 AM »

yes rick but us comm crabbers are the ones that supply crabs to those who don't crab and don't want to crab with a resoures from the bay. Ray you are right I know and see a good bit of recs who crab 2 to 4 days per week and why? I will retire soon from my job and could crab during the week so we could give the weekends to the recs for 1 day or the other. what a mess that would be and probabley the reason dnr won't take the study serious.
crab_clam

You can't catch 'em from home!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 10:53:13 AM »

I caught two of these back in 2015. I reported it and got a $5 bill and a report that the crabs had been released one month earlier about five miles up river.

JP

Dann86

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 10:15:39 AM »

I had one that traveled 110 miles
Crabbin Fever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 08:16:16 AM »

I just love how comms always ask how to reduce the recs catch. Instead of impacting just the recreational guy, how about shutting the whole darn fishery down for a year? Just because someone pays more money to crab, that should not restrict the liberties of a rec crabber who only takes a bushel.

One in the basket is better than two in the water!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home