March 03, 2021, 12:39:12 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: snoods  (Read 917 times)
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2020, 07:29:54 AM »

I am making new snoods for 2 new lines. I've always heard that standard snoods are 8 in long when finished so how long to you cut the bungie to make them 8 in. I ask because I been told that when runnin a auto dipper I should make my snoods a little shorter. so any suggestions. also pics would be good for different types of snoods. thx.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 10:46:22 AM »

I am making new snoods for 2 new lines. I've always heard that standard snoods are 8 in long when finished so how long to you cut the bungie to make them 8 in. I ask because I been told that when runnin a auto dipper I should make my snoods a little shorter. so any suggestions. also pics would be good for different types of snoods. thx.

I cut mine 14" long and I make 3 knots so the snubber doesn't come off plus a "tail" to make unbaiting easier.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »

D is your finish length 8 in Approx?
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 03:54:10 PM »

D is your finish length 8 in Approx?

yes they are.

I would try one and see how they look with you tying them but it should be real close

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 04:13:49 PM »

I've tested snoods up to 16'' length.  No problems.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other

Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 06:51:39 PM »

Like CrabbyD said, 14" of 3/16 bungee, with an overhand knot tied at both ends, through a 3/8" long piece of 5/16" fuel hose, tied to the main line with a figure 8 knot will give you a 8" drop.

Plus or minus.  It ain't rocket surgery.  Grin

Git 'r dun!
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 07:09:48 AM »

thx guys, the 14 in will give me a starting point but I don't tie on I hog ring mine to the line. ray if I used a 16 in snood the crabs would go around or under my 30 x 30 dipper. I would like my finished length to be 6 to 7 inches.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 05:06:52 PM »

You probably lose about 1.5" per tied knot, so take it from there. 4 tied knots (1 knot on line and 3 around the rubber snubber) = 6" lost. So a 14" bungee will give you around 8" finished. If you want 6" snoods, then start with 12" bungee. Or, cut them 14", tie the 3 knots around the rubber snubber first, then tie the last knot to the line, leaving the finished length amount you want, and snip off the rest, after tying the line knot.
SlickCam

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 10:25:05 PM »

If you're hog ringing onto your line you won't need 14". 12" should do it
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 07:19:02 AM »

so, 12 in is the way to go. I used 3 knots, 1 on 1 end and 2 on the other end. the 2 knot end is for the snood end and the other knot I hog ring to my #8 line. just finished 33 snoods last nite only 200 to go. also my stainless chain came yesterday and it's nice, no more rusty mess with chain. I will use the lead lines and #2 snaps from my old lines since they were new last season. also gonna use # 2 brass snaps on my anchor lines for pullin lines and to aid in adding more anchor line in deep water. I will give away old lines if someone wants them, minus parts mentioned, I line is 1300 ft the other is 1500 ft, they will need work but are usable, 1 is #7 the other #8 and they are hard braid potting line or sinking line.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home