April 06, 2020, 02:03:30 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maryland, Virginia weigh cutting striped bass catches in 2020 as species decline  (Read 710 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: January 29, 2020, 08:45:35 AM »

"fisheries scientists say itís recreational rather than commercial fishing thatís bringing striped bass down. Studies indicate that anglers catch many more striped bass, also known as rockfish, than commercial fishermen.

Anglers kill still more when they release fish theyíve hooked fish that are too small to legally keep or are caught out of season. In 2017, more died after being released than were kept, "

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/2020/01/28/maryland-virginia-weigh-cutting-striped-bass-catches-2020-species-declines/4554393002/?fbclid=IwAR3QRLG9H4dVoM1Ebkx6GxjYUqUq4T3BKfHxSkyjdBfILNzn5Tkm67NUWdM

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 10:41:37 AM »

"fisheries scientists say itís recreational rather than commercial fishing thatís bringing striped bass down. Studies indicate that anglers catch many more striped bass, also known as rockfish, than commercial fishermen.

Anglers kill still more when they release fish theyíve hooked fish that are too small to legally keep or are caught out of season. In 2017, more died after being released than were kept, "

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/2020/01/28/maryland-virginia-weigh-cutting-striped-bass-catches-2020-species-declines/4554393002/?fbclid=IwAR3QRLG9H4dVoM1Ebkx6GxjYUqUq4T3BKfHxSkyjdBfILNzn5Tkm67NUWdM
Jack,   That link provides a great read and thanks for posting.   The following link was buried within your link and provides an indirect reason as to why the striped bass are under nourished, starving and now eating crabs.   Most of us can understand how under nourished fish can be over stressed with catch and release.     Omega Protein exceeded their catch limit by %30 last year.   
         https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/virginia/2019/12/20/fish-oil-firm-may-barred-fishing-chesapeake-bay/2712449001/

Another sore subject is the poor water quality of the Chesapeake Bay.    People seem to ignore how the invention and use of the hydraulic clam dredge causes excessive disturbance of the Bay Bottom.

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
Redbone

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 04:33:16 PM »

Jack,   That link provides a great read and thanks for posting.   The following link was buried within your link and provides an indirect reason as to why the striped bass are under nourished, starving and now eating crabs.   Most of us can understand how under nourished fish can be over stressed with catch and release.     Omega Protein exceeded their catch limit by %30 last year.   
         https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/virginia/2019/12/20/fish-oil-firm-may-barred-fishing-chesapeake-bay/2712449001/

Another sore subject is the poor water quality of the Chesapeake Bay.    People seem to ignore how the invention and use of the hydraulic clam dredge causes excessive disturbance of the Bay Bottom.
I think the million gallons of raw sewage that is dumped into our waters each year is way more concerning than a couple dozen clambers
Redbone

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 06:16:02 PM »

Clammers
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 07:14:48 PM »

No doubt.  I sat on Love Point one day, watching the fleet up off Rock Hall.  Had to have been 200 boats at any one point in time.  STEADY stream of floaters coming down all day.  They were everywhere.

Git 'r dun!

johnnyjet

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 12:19:03 AM »

About time they did something. Make it 1 slot fish @ 24" to 28" & another 1 fish @ 28" to 30".... They would shoot us up here in Jersey for Keeping a Short at 19"...
samiam

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 09:59:33 AM »

How much confidence do you have in the count and sampling methods? I know that was touched upon in the article, but there wasn't a lot of real information about it. Here in Jersey there has been a lot of controversy over the years about the methods and accuracy of the count used to determine fluke limits. If the estimates aren't close, the "remedies" are worse than worthless...
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 12:03:38 PM »

to me it seems that the overharvest has been coastal. we all see the years when the migrating females mostly, stay inside the 3 mile are killed at 2 per day and it's only the bigger fish over 28. and most much bigger. these fish are hit hard by charters when the come down the coast. I remember looking at the website of the Va Beach marina and there were big fish on the docks every day in the winter. if ou want to help the breeding stock cut the coastal fishery to 1 fish a day over 28 since it's year round or give them 2 per day under 28.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 12:25:13 PM »

to me it seems that the overharvest has been coastal. we all see the years when the migrating females mostly, stay inside the 3 mile are killed at 2 per day and it's only the bigger fish over 28. and most much bigger. these fish are hit hard by charters when the come down the coast. I remember looking at the website of the Va Beach marina and there were big fish on the docks every day in the winter. if ou want to help the breeding stock cut the coastal fishery to 1 fish a day over 28 since it's year round or give them 2 per day under 28.

Not to mention, you are assuming the captains still within the 3 miles.  I can tell you that they don't and it's a cat and mouse game down there with the captains and the law.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »

yea I seem to remember D that a few capt were arrested and boats confiscated for the federal violations out of Va beach.

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 01:49:41 PM »

yea I seem to remember D that a few capt were arrested and boats confiscated for the federal violations out of Va beach.

correct and they were the few that got caught.   

Many of the captains were pushing the limit and spent all day looking though the binoculars when we used to go down a few years ago.  Fish go in a trash can and if the see the law coming, they dump the can before they get boarded.  We stopped going because it was poaching and wasn't worth going.  The captain that we were using refused to jump the line but it was common knowledge at the dock of what was happening and who was willing to go across the line. 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 04:19:51 PM »

Not to mention, you are assuming the captains still within the 3 miles.  I can tell you that they don't and it's a cat and mouse game down there with the captains and the law.

Pictures of 45" fish with the light tower in the background..

13 miles out  Roll Eyes

The feds with the helicopters brought it back in check, from what I know. 

Git 'r dun!
reds
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 10:02:57 AM »

Go back a few years more and some big cheeses from CCA in a private boat were caught doing the same thing....
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 11:07:44 AM »

It seems to me, from reading several of these responses, and the article itself, that the "dead" fish are contributing to a large part of this, so called, "shortage". I think we are all in agreement about where most of these dead fish are coming from: undersized fish that are released and end up dying, legal sized fish that are caught and kept, then thrown back dead if a bigger fish is brought on board, and from poachers, who dump their fish back when about to get caught. Oh, and don't forget, algae bloom. There is nothing you can do about the poachers. These a-holes will be out there no matter what the law states. But two of the other causes are BOTH brought on by imposed size and bag limit restrictions on striper. The so-called "species saving" regulations are actually contributing to a bigger shortage. Eliminating the ridiculous size limits, and letting people keep a few more fish, will aid in less fish being thrown back to their death, and will cause people to not have to feel the need to hunt for the two biggest fish that they are allowed to keep, since they can only keep 2. If people are allowed to keep more fish, they may actually get off the water sooner, feeling like they at least got something for their troubles, not just two. Less overall fish would get handled this way, meaning less dead fish would be floating in the water for the seagulls to eat. I stand by my normal claim, that most imposed government regulations, said to be in our best interest, rarely are.  How many 18 3/4" fish floated by you last year? I know a lot floated by us.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 08:53:22 AM »

Go back a few years more and some big cheeses from CCA in a private boat were caught doing the same thing....

Not surprised Reds   Sad Sad Sad

Aren't they the ones that are "supposedly" pushing for conservation?  Hypocrites

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 08:54:18 AM »

Pictures of 45" fish with the light tower in the background..

13 miles out  Roll Eyes

The feds with the helicopters brought it back in check, from what I know. 

That's good if they are keeping it straight.  It definitely was getting out of hand for a while.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home