February 27, 2020, 11:12:04 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bass Creek cape cod canal  (Read 388 times)
NorEaster

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2020, 12:14:39 AM »

I dont know if anyone is following the forums this far off season but I figured Id try and hit up some people for info. Im planning a trip later early May to go camping on the canal and found bass creek that runs out into the canal. Does anyone know if the creek holds any crabs? I know May is early but was going to try Waqoit Bay unless the creek holds any promise.
Richter355

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 11:27:49 AM »

Not sureif this helps my friend but have a hous on the cape but from CT. I have known a great deal of people who have crabbed in both locations and have gotten great results!
Richter355

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 11:30:36 AM »

As you might suspect, my fellow Cape Cod crabbers would not be too happy with me if I gave up all the hot spots we've worked for years to find.

But, I'm not going to leave you entirely in the dark, either! So here are a few places you might want to try:

Waquoit Bay - This beautiful location in East Falmouth is a great spot for crabbing, especially if you bring or rent a kayak or canoe. Overall, Waquoit Bay is relatively shallow and the water's usually pretty calm. And there are lots of pretty little estuaries to paddle, where you'll have a good chance of finding some blue crabs hiding out. While you're out on Waquoit Bay, consider heading over to Washburn Island if the wind and weather permit. Washburn Island is a gorgeous nature reserve that's only reachable by boat. A "don't miss", IMHO!

Crab Creek Conservation Area - The area known as "Crab Creek" is at the northern end of the Bass River, on North Dennis Road in Yarmouth.If you're staying in the Mid-Cape area, Crab Creek is an easy spot to get to by car from any of the Cape's three major roads (Rt. 6, Rt. 6A or Rt. 28). There's a fishing/crabbing platform at Crab Creek, along with easy access to the water for those of you who prefer to wade.

Craigville Beach Area - Craigville is one of the most well-known Hyannis area beaches, and it's especially popular with the teen and young adult set for sunning, swimming and socializing. When you're going to Craigville Beach for the day, why not bring your crabbing equipment with you? The Centerville River, a tidal river that runs just to the west of Craigville Beach, has given up many yummy crab feasts over the years!

MA Blue Crab Regulations

Here's a summary of the rules and regs for recreational blue crabbing in Massachusetts:

Minimum size - 5 shell width (spine to spine)
Egg-bearing females cannot be taken
25 crabs per day maximum
No permit required for dip-netting and hand-lining;
Closed season is 1/14/30, inclusive.

Click here for detailed Massachusetts shellfishing laws and regulations.
NorEaster

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 10:00:21 PM »

Thanks for the info. I know Crab Creek conservation area very well. Really just about anywhere there and downriver is great for crab. Hopefully the mild winter will lead to early and productive season. Looking forward to it!
Richter355

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 11:04:02 AM »

I agree ! I am in CT and we have had minimal amounts of snow and well warmer weather so I hope it continues!!!!!!!!!!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home