March 03, 2021, 01:16:46 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New crab business questions  (Read 1313 times)
mcgrunt0509
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2020, 10:34:47 PM »

Good evening ladies and gentleman

Ive been brainstorming a lot latley on what it will take to start a small crab sales business. I know theres a lot of logistics to figure out but the most obvious is how much should I expect to pay per bushel of sm, med, and large when buying from a commercial boat? To me this is the number one concern when determining if its worth getting into. I have a possible connection to buy from the Carolinas but I still don't know what they would cost..

Also, what liceanses and or permits will i need to be able to buy and sell live and steamed crabs in Maryland? I havent decided if I would sell on the side of the road or find a location to sell from.

I have many more questions but I'll save those for later. Any and all input is welcome.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 10:55:11 AM »

You could start by calling your local DNR Service Center and asking them. They could start you in the right direction. You're going to need a license to buy and sell live crabs, when you start talking about steaming you're also going to be involving the Health Dept.
mcgrunt0509
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:41:42 AM »

I've heard DNR had something to do with it I just want sure how. The health department makes sense also. Im sure theres a permit ill need to get from the state or county also. My biggest issue is going to be how much I'll need to pay per bushel. Thanks for the help
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 12:07:39 PM »

price is constantly changing as supply and demand dictate, the 4 big holidays, fathers day, memorial day, 4th of july, and labor day are when you make money, the rest of the time its hit or miss with weekends being somewhat profitable. you will have to eat a lot of the crabs getting started and with anything to do with business, its location
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 08:45:52 PM »

The market will let you know if your prices are to high or too low.  And I can tell you right now, they're too high Grin

The best way to end up with a million dollars from crabs is to start with 2 million.

Just kidding.  You'll do fine.  Buy by the bushel, sell by the dozen.

Git 'r dun!

mcgrunt0509
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 09:07:15 PM »

So is there an approximate low and high end price range? I get that they fluxuate throughout the season but what's an estimated low and high end I might expect to pay? If thats a question that shouldnt be discussed in public i understand. Im not too familiar with how things go yet.

I should have added a little more detail in my original comment. I only plan to sell on saturday's and Sunday's. I was planning to start at around 20-25 bushel a weeken to hopefully prevent wasting many crabs. Is that too much to star with? I estimate I'll probably lose around 10% befor they make it to the customer anyway.

The location hasn't been fully worked out yet but I have a few idea I'm trying to work with..

All great advice so far. Thanks alot
Blueshadow13

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 07:29:15 PM »

So is there an approximate low and high end price range? I get that they fluxuate throughout the season but what's an estimated low and high end I might expect to pay? If thats a question that shouldnt be discussed in public i understand. Im not too familiar with how things go yet.

I should have added a little more detail in my original comment. I only plan to sell on saturday's and Sunday's. I was planning to start at around 20-25 bushel a weeken to hopefully prevent wasting many crabs. Is that too much to star with? I estimate I'll probably lose around 10% befor they make it to the customer anyway.

The location hasn't been fully worked out yet but I have a few idea I'm trying to work with..

Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 05:53:45 AM »

Weekend warrior buyers have the most difficulty as opposed to 7 day crab houses.  The demand is always higher on weekends and full time crabbers want to sell 6 days a week. Many part timers sell their own crabs to the public unless they catch more than they can sell.. Prices vary depending on location of the bay the crabs came from. Quality and death rate is what dictates range in prices. The saltier the water they come from in the summer, the faster they will die out of water. This can be a problem when crabs are held a day or two by buyers .Upper bay  crabs are usually more expensive but worth the price by being able to sell more live crabs and generally a better graded crab .Lower bay and sea side crabs generally run lighter, smaller , and die faster especially during summer with high humidity.
mcgrunt0509
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 06:09:23 AM »

Thats the type of info im looking for. I never really thought of it that way. Like I said, theres a lot of logistics i still need to work put but this type of info that can make or break a business.

I assumed an average of 10% loss between buying and selling, am i in the ballpark with those numbers if I were to get crabs from a saltier body of water?

Thanks a lot for your input.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 08:11:31 AM »

Thats the type of info im looking for. I never really thought of it that way. Like I said, theres a lot of logistics i still need to work put but this type of info that can make or break a business.

I assumed an average of 10% loss between buying and selling, am i in the ballpark with those numbers if I were to get crabs from a saltier body of water?

Thanks a lot for your input.
You can expect up to a 10% loss from upper bay crabs during hot humid weather over a weekend but as high as 30% or more from lower bay crabs .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home