April 13, 2021, 12:03:21 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trotline supplies  (Read 834 times)
SlickCam

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2020, 08:23:50 AM »

Finally got a winder after a couple decades of hand pulling, but I've discovered I have 2000ft of lesser grade #8 line that won't run reliably through the winder... so I'll be selling those lines and looking to building 2000ft of #8 solid braid with 3/16th snoods (the good ones with the black and white with green tracer). Who's got quality stuff at a fair price. I'm on the upper eastern shore but would be willing to have good stuff shipped.

partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 08:44:52 AM »

keller? also they sell #9, that might work better for your set up. i have bought stuff from them but lately i have found better prices on ebay, amazon, and a few other small sites on the internet. like that elec hot knife from germany for a lot less
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 01:05:01 PM »

Finally got a winder after a couple decades of hand pulling, but I've discovered I have 2000ft of lesser grade #8 line that won't run reliably through the winder... so I'll be selling those lines and looking to building 2000ft of #8 solid braid with 3/16th snoods (the good ones with the black and white with green tracer). Who's got quality stuff at a fair price. I'm on the upper eastern shore but would be willing to have good stuff shipped.

Sometimes a winder takes a little bit of figuring out to get it to run certain types of line.  I had a piece of some really stiff line in my trotline and when I hit that spot I had to speed up to make the line pull harder and get a better bite in the winder.  Might want to fool with it a little bit unless your knife is shredding the line.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 07:14:27 AM »

Ray is right it might be as easy as shiming the sheeves closer or father apart. the only line I couldn't pull was # 4 - 1/8 in couldn't pull line with all the shims out.
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 09:59:04 AM »

is it elec or hyd,, did you try it on the water or dry docked. mine is layed up vert and can pull anything without shimming, but there are other reasons also, one being hyd allows speed control which ray pointed out. i made my knive and set it up at the farthest possible distance for better grip which require a really steep lead in angle thats extra rigid to get the line out, so my plates are together and i can run any size line, although i only use 8, im working on a set up to pull 4 on the rings and traps. the trick is being able to get the line into the winder without scaring the crabs. but with pots and trotlines ive helped others who run bigger lines. once the season starts and you are using it on regular basis it will become clear what to do. thanks to these guys on here i got what worked for me and im more than happy, when someone said if their winder didnt work, they didnt, i was thinking it was bull, well, im all in now

SlickCam

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 08:02:25 PM »

Its electric, I'm picking it up Thursday from getting rebuilt and I'll experiment some more, I got some cheap "solid" braid that is more hollow than solid so its soft, but I'm gonna try it a few different ways to see what's what. Thanks for the help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home