September 21, 2021, 10:11:53 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crab pot dip  (Read 1667 times)
dredgecrab

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2020, 06:13:09 PM »

Anyone got any good ideas on keeping crab pots clean. Most antifoulants like flxabar and bluewater are no longer available. Bottom paint makes the pot eat up faster. Any ideas would be appeciated.
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 08:31:19 AM »

Anyone got any good ideas on keeping crab pots clean. Most antifoulants like flxabar and bluewater are no longer available. Bottom paint makes the pot eat up faster. Any ideas would be appeciated.

Some of the watermen up north use a heated plain water dipping tank to clean their lobster traps. The larger boats carry the tank with them.
dredgecrab

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 08:59:33 AM »

yeah I heard of that. I am considering doing it. Seems a little dangerous with water sloshing around.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 10:45:30 AM »

yeah I heard of that. I am considering doing it. Seems a little dangerous with water sloshing around.

Keep a pot in the tank at all times. It will act like a baffle.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
dredgecrab

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 12:04:04 PM »

I might do that. how hot does the water need to be? we pressure wash working down a row of pots, I guess swapping a pot out of a tank of water would take less time. I only get 8 hours to run through 425 pots.

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 01:13:43 PM »

I think the guys up there get the water 175-185 degrees.  I think I'd rather dip pots though.

What you should do is make a power washer wand with 3-4 nozzles stacked vertically, aimed off the side of the boat.  Then build a rotating stand for the pot to set on.  Pull the pot, shake it, slide it down the washboard in front of the nozzles, spin it and back over.   Grin

dredgecrab

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 01:38:15 PM »

thought about that a lot. Saw an undercarriage cleaner that worked on that principle. The problem with pressure washing is it washes the galvinization off.  I pressure washed all year long, took my rig up 1 time to dip. I thought I was coming ahead good till I put my rig onshore for the winter. Most of my pots are rusted and will need to be replaced. I never had that problem with net set and poison, of course that option isnt available. Copper paint works good but it eats the pots and zincs up too fast. I want an eco friendly option and dont want to hear a pressure washer run all day. I like dipping in hot water idea. Got a few months to figure the logistics.
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 05:06:53 PM »

surprised someone hasn't come up with a sonic tank like the jewelry cleaners, would be to slow to be on the boat but should do well on shore,,,   
dredgecrab

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 06:12:28 PM »

plenty ways to get the grass off..keeping it off is where the money is
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 08:03:28 AM »

thought about that a lot. Saw an undercarriage cleaner that worked on that principle. The problem with pressure washing is it washes the galvinization off.  I pressure washed all year long, took my rig up 1 time to dip. I thought I was coming ahead good till I put my rig onshore for the winter. Most of my pots are rusted and will need to be replaced. I never had that problem with net set and poison, of course that option isnt available. Copper paint works good but it eats the pots and zincs up too fast. I want an eco friendly option and dont want to hear a pressure washer run all day. I like dipping in hot water idea. Got a few months to figure the logistics.

I think the dip process takes about 15 to 20 seconds to kill everything. There used to be a fair amount of info on the web about the process. I don't know how much now. There were even pictures of the tank.

The heat options were lp gas or diesel. Tank was stainless.

Here is one article...http://www.fishermensvoice.com/archives/1010TrapCooker.html

partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 09:50:29 AM »

thanks reds, that page just got bookmarked, got me thinking,,
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 11:04:14 AM »

thanks reds, that page just got bookmarked, got me thinking,,

Probably should copy the picture. Article is 10 years old. Could go at any time.
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 12:08:58 PM »

thanks again, im really behind on this puter stuff, guess i need to take a class a community college for seniors,,, got any idea if vinyl pots lose the covering in hot baths
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 02:48:23 PM »

thanks again, im really behind on this puter stuff, guess i need to take a class a community college for seniors,,, got any idea if vinyl pots lose the covering in hot baths

I wouldn't think so, lobster pots are vinyl.

Dann86

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 09:12:35 PM »

There are still a couple of places that sell Flexabar pot dip if you do a search. Is using bleach allowed down south? use it here

gcs

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2020, 09:56:34 AM »

If I recall right, some lobster guys were using a super saturated brine dip, I don't believe it was heated.

The high saline acted like bleach in killing the various organisms....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home