October 21, 2020, 02:28:11 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: aquariums for blue crabs???  (Read 14374 times)
rainz

« on: February 06, 2004, 03:10:00 AM »

is it possible and/or helpful to put blue crabs in home aquariums???
mariner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 07:06:20 AM »

It is possible. Crabs are raised in similar surroundings by many different groups trying to raise and re-populate the species. Give them some room to move around. Provide an environment similar to where they might live naturally. This might include making the water brine (salty) for a female and less salty for a male. Make sure you circulate the water and keep it clean. If you have fish, be prepared to see them disappear. If done right crabs will live in an aquarium for a while.
madcrab

Say hello to my littl' friend!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 11:32:06 AM »

My uncle kept a large male in an aquarium once and it did quite well, up until it became a mondo sized softie and needless to say, it was goodbye mr. crab. Grin Grin

"...as a free man, I take pride in saying, I am a doughnut."
CrAbBeRpEzZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 04:17:35 PM »

The funny thing is is that I was just telling my dad about how, I think it is Madcrab, is building the shedding tank and he said instead of that I wonder if u could keep them in aquariums. Grin Grin Smiley
madcrab

Say hello to my littl' friend!!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 08:11:08 PM »

I need a larger space though, and an aquarium the size I need isn't economical. Wink

"...as a free man, I take pride in saying, I am a doughnut."

eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 09:39:24 PM »

i visited a maritime museum in chincoteague a few years back that had a big blue crab in an aquarium.
lil miss crab

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 02:35:39 PM »

i think it's a good idea...if we can do it correct, maybe we could release the crabs and help the population out?
i would like to try it but im not sure of the tanks, sizes, etc. that i would need...anybody have any ideas?
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 05:41:09 PM »

Well, lil miss crab, let's see.  First off, a 10-gallon should be large enough for a couple crabs, maybe three.  Gravel on the bottom of the aquarium, plus some rock/slate for the crabs to hide under.  Some artificial or real aquarium grass for looks.  Now, you won't need an aquarium heater, so you'll save some $$$ there.  You will need a good filter system hanging on the back/side to keep the water clean.  You'll also need at least one power head to oxygenate the water.  A flourescent aquarium light would also be nice. Cover the open parts of the top of the aquarium with perforated plastic sheeting to keep the crabs from climbing out of the tank. That should do it.  Oh, one more important thing; if you plan on catching the crabs to put into the aquarium, make sure that they are of legal size. Now, what to feed them; small pieces of chicken thigh --1/2" square.  Don't feed them too often or the aquarium water will be fouled by uneaten chicken and crab poop.  I wouldn't worry about trying to put males together with females as they probably won't mate in that environment.  If fed properly and the water conditions are right they will probably shed their shells; that would be interesting to watch. Good luck and keep us posted on your success! Grin

Crabpop

Almost forgot!  The water that you put into the aquarium must be chlorine free or the crabs will die.  Places that sell aquariums usually carry de-chlorination drops that can be added to the water to remove the chlorine.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 05:44:49 PM by Crabpop » Logged

Severn, Md USA
#1 JIMMY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 08:21:19 PM »

Crabpop, Thanks for the info. What type of water would you use? Tap,Bay water, etc? Any info would be appreciated
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2004, 12:04:19 AM »

You're quite welcome. Now, I wouldn't use bay water because there's enough stuff suspended in the water that it would probably clog the aquarium filter.  I would use regular tap water, BUT you will have to declorinate the water before putting the crabs in, otherwise the chloride in tap water will kill the crabs (or fish).  Pet stores that sell aquarium fish sell the stuff to declorinate aquariums.  Comes in a small bottle. Just follow the directions on the bottle as to how many drops per gallon to put in the aquarium.   Wait about 15 minutes and the crabs can go in.  It's fhat simple.

Crabpop

One more thing.  If you go to a pet store to get  the drops to remove the chlorine from the water, pick up a small bag of "sea salt."  Add maybe 3-4 tablespoons of the sea salt to the tank.  You don't want really salty water, so don't over do it.  DO NOT use table (iodized)
salt from your kitchen as it will kill the crabs (or fish).
Have fun!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 12:11:17 AM by Crabpop » Logged

Severn, Md USA

lil miss crab

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2004, 10:11:51 AM »

why chicken instead of live bait?...if live bait, what kinds?
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2004, 10:37:21 AM »

If you put live bait in there you want to put things like grass shrimp & minnows and if you only use a ten gallon aqauaim one crab might be all you want in there just remember the more live critters you put in there that s that much more oxy needed and that much more waste in water Huh
lil miss crab

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2004, 02:41:02 PM »

i was actually thinking in larger aquariums, to try a breeding program...i dont know if a breeding/releasing
program will work...any suggestions?...then maybe i could feed them what they need, be it live or not...if this would work, i need to know what to do w/the babies, etc., etc., etc...need lots of info on this one  Roll Eyes
lil miss crab

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2004, 02:51:12 PM »

thanks for the info crabpop  Grin
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2004, 03:44:20 PM »

Lil miss crab, I would think that the cost of an aquarium large enough to use for a breeding program would be prohibitive.  It would have to be huge.  Also, I'm not at all certain that blue crabs will breed in captivity.  As has been pointed out, females require more salinity than males.  And, if the crab eggs do hatch, what would you feed them? The initial stage of a crab is extremely small.  I don't think you'll have any problem putting a crab or two in an aquarium, feed them, watch them molt, grow, and so on.  I would venture to say that breeding would be near impossible.  Sorry...

Crabpop  

Severn, Md USA

lil miss crab

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2004, 04:11:19 PM »

good questions about feeding the babies, but could they be released as the are in their natural habitat?
as far as the size of the tank, i would have to use many because of the difference in the males and females...i would love to know if they will breed in captivity, if anybody knows...as the saying goes, "nothing beats a try but a failure"...thanks again crabpop  Wink
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2004, 09:16:56 AM »

U might find reading "interesting news" topic in the "crab news" section of the forum.  

My kids keep blue crabs in their tanks alot, years ago. Along with everything else that crept in the creek.  The most interesting thing was that they shedded like clock work even thought the tanks were in the basment with light timers.  Crab shed, look outside, full moon.  They say a crab will live about 3 years, everyone we kept passed on within months of their 3rd birthday..

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
lil miss crab

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2004, 01:03:42 PM »

why thanks for the info jack, great to hear they live that long in tanks Smiley  did they need anything special treatments or supplies?...were they male and female?
any info is greatly appreciated! Smiley  also, thanks for the info to read about  Wink
mariner

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2004, 01:36:14 PM »

Hey 'LMC': Contact the National Aquarium in the Inner Harbor. They can give you all the necessary info you need. They have had jimmys in aquariums for years. Don't know just who to speak with but they can refer you to the right crabby person.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2004, 04:34:50 PM »

We kept them in 20 - 30  gal tanks.  All you need is a good filter (back then we had air driven filters no power filters) and a good tight lid.  Crabs are great escape artists.  They will eat anything but you must remove uneaten food right away. Give them something to hid under and fine beach sand to dig in.  At first we kept them in creek water that we hauled with buckets.  But ever one we had did great in just plain well water after a while.  Never had enough room to keep two together, they always would fight until one died or was eaten as it sloughed.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home