October 21, 2020, 02:33:14 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: aquariums for blue crabs???  (Read 14375 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2004, 04:37:12 PM »

oh yea, its real hard to resist eatn a 7 8 inch soft crab Wink

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
lil miss crab

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2004, 06:10:28 PM »

oh my, sorry about them killing each other jack  Embarassed  dont want to go that way.
mariner, is there a site for the national aquarium?...im not down there, but sounds like they are who i need to talk to.
thanks to both of ya for the info!  Wink
mariner

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2004, 05:49:39 PM »

LMC:

National Aquarium

http://www.aqua.org/

You might also try the University of Maryland, they have been raising blue crabs in the hopes of restocking the Bay at some point.

http://www.umbi.umd.edu/nande/news/110403_zohar.html
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 05:55:00 PM by mariner » Logged
lil miss crab

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2004, 10:16:46 PM »

glad to hear someone's been trying to restock  Smiley  nice site's, thanks again mariner!
Cutter

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2004, 06:29:29 AM »

This is a great idea. I thought of keeping a crab in a aquarium but figured I would need something really big like a 50 gal or something. I have a 10 gal, and can buy maybe a 20 gal really cheap and i would like to try and keep a blue crab myself. I think when we go next time im dumping out my goldfish in my tank and bringing home a blue Smiley So it doesnt matter what the water temp is? No heater?

lil miss crab

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2004, 03:26:19 PM »

hey cutter, don't throw your goldfish away!!!...im pretty sure your blue would LOVE THEM lol  Grin  if you look back at the posting by mariner, he has some excellent web sites to learn all ya need to know, including the university where they are interested in restocking them (what im interested in  Wink)...let me know how ya do, and good luck!
mariner

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2004, 05:54:24 PM »

'LMC':

You're welcome!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2004, 07:07:07 PM »

Cutter

They will stay active year round in a 50 degree basement.  And they will most definitly catch and eat gold fish and minnows.  When we first started the kids would lug buckets of water from the creek which is pretty salty being we are in the southern bay.  As time went on they would replace the salty water with more and more of just plain well water.  After a year or so the crabs would have been in mostly fresh water.  I know the salt does not evaporate but we never added any to the tanks.  Didnt do partcial water changes back then like we do now just topped the tanks off.

Just me, you need to duct tape the tank cover down on a big crab or he/she will get out.  Smiley

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
guilfoya

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 12:21:35 AM »

I read crabpop's section on the aquarium. I just got one! Im hoping to get it all to work out. I live right by the bay, in Northfield, NJ near Ocean City, and Atlantic City.. Anyway.. not important. It seems in the first segment you just mentioned, remove the chlorine from tap, to keep it fresh or theyll die. check. But all i want to know is salt salt salt.. do they need it? can i raise them in fresh water? i never get a clear picture about salt. I have a sink, put the water in the tank.. I have sand at the bottom, clean.. i have drops, and clean the water out from chlorine.. Now i can just put the crabs in the fresh water? do i NEED salt? or can i just call it a day with the fresh water? if so, do i just spoon salt in the tank? buy it from the store? what kind? I hope im not overwhelming anyone/myself.. maybe im just overcomplicating it, take water, clean it, add salt, and they should live? easy. I know what to feed them, chicken and fish guts, easy peasy.

Partially im not too too worried, i suppose ill figure it out after i kill about a thousand of them haha, ill just keep catching them in my trap and tourture them! They're so angry! haha

Thanks,
Andy
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 12:28:58 AM »

Cutter

They will stay active year round in a 50 degree basement.  And they will most definitly catch and eat gold fish and minnows.  When we first started the kids would lug buckets of water from the creek which is pretty salty being we are in the southern bay.  As time went on they would replace the salty water with more and more of just plain well water.  After a year or so the crabs would have been in mostly fresh water.  I know the salt does not evaporate but we never added any to the tanks.  Didnt do partcial water changes back then like we do now just topped the tanks off.

Just me, you need to duct tape the tank cover down on a big crab or he/she will get out.  Smiley

Jack do you think allowing them to winter would have possibly extended their life beyond 3? I have read 3 to 3.5 years is the norm - actually in you situtation it would have been more like 4 yrs or more.

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2009, 08:18:53 AM »

Andy,  You need salt in the water.  It needs to be salt from a aquarium store that is used for saltwater fish.  It isn't the salt the crabs need as much as the trace elements and especially calcium.  The best thing to do is take a sample of the Bay water where you caught the crabs to the aquarium store so they can test the salinity.  They should be able to tell you how much salt you need in the tank.  After that, you can refill the tank, evaporation, with dechlorinated water. 

DP, All the crabs I have kept over the last half century have all died at 3 to 3.5 years.  Like clock work.

guilfoya

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »

OK great.. i'll do that. Thank you Smiley

And by the way, yes.
3 to 3.5 or even 2 I thought is exactly what I was expecting.

Living by the shore, I figured everyone has fish, why not crabs? it seemed a little different to me and I latched on the idea.

Thanks Again,
Andy
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2009, 02:00:19 PM »

OK great.. i'll do that. Thank you Smiley

And by the way, yes.
3 to 3.5 or even 2 I thought is exactly what I was expecting.

Living by the shore, I figured everyone has fish, why not crabs? it seemed a little different to me and I latched on the idea.

Thanks Again,
Andy

You can even take them out and play with them. Wink I would probably plant bay grass in the tank to give the crabs shelter. Also If they rarely see eachother they will be less likely to kill eachother. Thats what people do when breading Beta fish, put alot of foilage in so the fish feel like they have there territory. Can be used with crabs.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple
crabbinmd

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 09:17:40 AM »

I currently have 2 crabs in a 26g and a 76g. and have for the past 20+ years. One crab per tank is all that you can do. They will live til they are about 3 consistantly. Thier canibalization is the reason it is so difficult to farm raise them. Large bull minnows are the perfect summer food. Gold fish are the winter time food for mine. You can have perch in the tank as well. Croaker and spot dont last long as the crab will get them in a day or 2.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 10:11:12 AM »

I don't have any problem with any fish until the crabs get to be about 3 inches (have kept them to over 8 ).  This is one of this years young.  I start over every spring now.  He is about 1.5".  There are 5 or 6 in the tank (70 gals).  They will get along fine as long as they have plenty food and places to hide.  Once they get over 2" I get rid of all but one.  At 3+" they will kill everything in the tank in time.  The first thing they get is the Hog Chokers. Crabs are excellent hunters at night. The HH will eat them in short order if the size difference is much. Especially if the crab can't hide when it sloughs.  The perch seem to be smart enough and fast enough to stay safe. Like you said. And the crabs love to hunt minnows and silversides.  They chase them all over the tank.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 10:38:48 AM »

nice pictures. the fish looked scared.  laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 01:12:34 PM »

nice pictures. the fish looked scared.  laugh laugh laugh
Good eye Tat... Yup. Just turned on the lights and the flash from the camera..  Cool

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2009, 02:22:11 PM »

Jack when the crabs molt - do they seek cover if possible to find it - or do they just openly molt? I know the molting tanks offer them little choice but was wondering in a more natural environment?

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 04:05:52 PM »

Jack when the crabs molt - do they seek cover if possible to find it - or do they just openly molt? I know the molting tanks offer them little choice but was wondering in a more natural environment?
They hide.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home