March 31, 2020, 03:54:31 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virus markets?  (Read 570 times)
gcs

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »

Up here, we're twiddling our thumbs waiting to see if we can sell anything... Buyers don't want Eels, conchs are backed up since fall and nothing is sailing to China, crabs are a question mark, my buyer managed to sell 4 bushels this past saturday, Fluke dropped to 75 cents last week, might be lower now, the market in NY is awash with seafood that no one can sell cause all the restaurants are closed...retail is struggling but selling some stuff cause there's no meat and most other groceries in the stores.....

So....How is it in your worlds? Cool
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 03:42:02 PM »

SSDD      Cool

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 04:43:43 PM »

Hey!!! Fuel is at least cheap.   Now I can afford to ride 2 hours in the boat to the hot spot - so I can catch that 1 bushel in 15 minutes that I will have market for.  Wink

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 09:38:31 PM »

What's happening with the lobster prices up there? Any reduction with the China situation and all of the local restaurants shut down?
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 07:18:52 AM »

I sell crabs direct to consumer, friends family co-workers and niehbors so I don' t see a problem unless they lock down the state and say no travel, my prices are low already so even with a flooded market I shouldn't be too bad off.

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 07:32:23 AM »

I sell crabs direct to consumer, friends family co-workers and niehbors so I don' t see a problem unless they lock down the state and say no travel, my prices are low already so even with a flooded market I shouldn't be too bad off.

Hopefully they are still getting paid right now and have a job after this scare is all over

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 07:59:39 AM »

the easter cure will save us all
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 04:16:29 PM »

What's happening with the lobster prices up there? Any reduction with the China situation and all of the local restaurants shut down?

There was an article recently that the wholesaler normally sells 1000 boxes (33 pounds per box) of lobster a week to China to less than 120 a week.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/virus-makes-lobsters-cheap-sellers-120000170.html

With all the US restaurants doing take-out only since the above article was printed, I don't think too many of them are selling their lobsters.

In other words it is NOT good at all.

Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 06:56:42 PM »

There was an article recently that the wholesaler normally sells 1000 boxes (33 pounds per box) of lobster a week to China to less than 120 a week.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/virus-makes-lobsters-cheap-sellers-120000170.html

With all the US restaurants doing take-out only since the above article was printed, I don't think too many of them are selling their lobsters.

In other words it is NOT good at all.

Well, I was looking to buy a few to eat, so it might actually be a good time for that.

Dann86

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 08:27:08 PM »

$3.75 to boat was last I heard...I know a lot of boats are just tied up,but on another note with restaurants closed two retail fish stores I
know have been pretty busy.

https://www.nationalfisherman.com/northeast/east-coast-fishing-crippled-by-coronavirus-crisis-restaurant-shutdowns/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:37:53 PM by Dann86 » Logged

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 09:02:35 PM »

Seafood here in Louisiana is also taking a beating.  Crawfish prices are falling weekly.  Picking plants can't handle the volume.  Wholesale dales to restaurants are down but due to the lower prices sales to individuals are up.  Crabbing is slow due to the high river levels so no one is crabbing. 

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 07:32:54 AM »

If my retail customers are going to die, their last supper will be seafood.  All is good on the private retail side. 
Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 11:02:53 AM »

I was told yesterday that the workers from Mexico are still scheduled to arrive in Maryland next week.  The will at least be able to pick crabs, the next question is the demand for crab meat going to be.

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 06:39:59 PM »

I was told yesterday that the workers from Mexico are still scheduled to arrive in Maryland next week.  The will at least be able to pick crabs, the next question is the demand for crab meat going to be.

Probably high. No one wants the cheaper Asian meat right now, at least, I hope they don't. Three million American workers added to unemployment this week, and they have the balls to import Mexican workers? You know what my take on this [curd] was before all this, now it really pisses me off.
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 07:05:20 PM »

Probably high. No one wants the cheaper Asian meat right now, at least, I hope they don't. Three million American workers added to unemployment this week, and they have the balls to import Mexican workers? You know what my take on this [curd] was before all this, now it really pisses me off.

I get your point and your frustration Rick.  It's kinda been this way for many years.  Cheap labor and imports since the industrial revolution have built the railroads, bridges, highways, buildings, farmed, and picked crab along with so many other tasks.  Knock, knock, "housekeeping" (foreign accent).  I'm not sure this will ever change in our lifetime.  I'm pretty sure this is temporary unemployment and everything will be back to normal when it clears.  In the meantime, PA cases are spiking and about 5 days behind NJ cases and NJ is in a disaster, only 2nd to NY.  I expect to see PA cases surpass 6,000 in about 3-4 days. 

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 08:43:01 PM »

I get your point and your frustration Rick.  It's kinda been this way for many years.  Cheap labor and imports since the industrial revolution have built the railroads, bridges, highways, buildings, farmed, and picked crab along with so many other tasks.  Knock, knock, "housekeeping" (foreign accent).  I'm not sure this will ever change in our lifetime.  I'm pretty sure this is temporary unemployment and everything will be back to normal when it clears.  In the meantime, PA cases are spiking and about 5 days behind NJ cases and NJ is in a disaster, only 2nd to NY.  I expect to see PA cases surpass 6,000 in about 3-4 days. 

That shouldn't be a problem, since 650,000 new unemployment claims have been filed in PA in the past 11 days. The 6,000 you speak of was probably in the first 10 minutes.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 09:56:55 PM »

If my retail customers are going to die, their last supper will be seafood.  All is good on the private retail side. 

Lots of people are out of a job.  Lots of people got their hours cut. I donít think a lot of people are going to be buying expensive crabs.  Not to mention sitting with a bunch of people eating them.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 08:21:04 AM »

A lot of folks have money.  They're just chilling out right now enjoying the vacation and eating seafood. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home