November 29, 2020, 02:14:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Potomac River Crabbing  (Read 640 times)
xFishdogx

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2020, 09:33:06 AM »

Just wondering how many guys crab the lower potomac or even the Northern Neck.  How was the crabbing last season?  I am planning on getting 20 crabs traps and giving it a try.  I don't really want to mess with a trotline yet.  Hopefully we can all go back to normal lives soon!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:57:03 AM »

Just wondering how many guys crab the lower potomac or even the Northern Neck.  How was the crabbing last season?  I am planning on getting 20 crabs traps and giving it a try.  I don't really want to mess with a trotline yet.  Hopefully we can all go back to normal lives soon!

There are several on here that crab those areas.  Once things get going, they usually start posting.

Welcome aboard

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 10:50:29 AM »

all crabbers are liars, you have to go and find out yourself, just dont tell anyone the truth or they will come from all over the world and steal everything,,, the world wide web is bum rush heaven
xFishdogx

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 10:51:43 AM »

Is there a particular time you consider a start date?  I was thinking Mid to end May.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 10:52:59 AM »

Is there a particular time you consider a start date?  I was thinking Mid to end May.

the further south the sooner.  Mid to end of May is a great time to try with the location you are talking about

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

xFishdogx

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 10:57:10 AM »

the further south the sooner.  Mid to end of May is a great time to try with the location you are talking about

Thanks.  That's really the type of info I am looking for.  Just general info the area and what to look for.  I don't need spots since finding your own is the fun part to me atleast.  

Glad to see this is an active site as well.
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 11:08:48 AM »

D is one of the straight shooters here, so anything real specific should be private message, good luck and welcome
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 11:12:29 AM »

Thanks.  That's really the type of info I am looking for.  Just general info the area and what to look for.  I don't need spots since finding your own is the fun part to me atleast.  

Glad to see this is an active site as well.

Look for a nice cove.  This time of year look for steep drop off and set on the shallow edge of the drop off.  It will take time to find the right depth and this time of year the depth will change fast compared to later in the summer when the water temp becomes more consistent.  Crabs begin to get active once the water temp gets in the 55* range.  Keep in mind, water temp fluctuated by the depth.  Surface temp is not the same as the temp at the bottom.

Good luck and full baskets

xFishdogx

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 09:10:26 AM »

Would staying away from crab pots ideal?  Where I am crabbing it would be difficult to do that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home