July 03, 2020, 06:16:52 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing in Maryland 2020/April 17, 2020  (Read 1314 times)
Howard

Be Safe Out There

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2020, 02:11:48 PM »

Reading some things about rules for crabbing and fishing for 2020 with regard to Corona Virus.  I am wondering IF you are from out of state like me in Delaware, and legally have boat ramp permits and 2020 fishing and crabbing licenses, AND crabbing and fishing from a boat by myself, will we be permitted to travel to Maryland and fish/crab while also using all other protected PPE( masks and gloves ) if we would come in close contact with and residents(?)
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 04:09:20 PM »

after 14 day quarantine
Redbone

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 06:45:56 PM »

I doubt that non residents can crab md waters  who knows   The decree from King Hogan wasn’t clear.
Howard

Be Safe Out There

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 06:59:17 PM »

I talked to DNR official today. Right now there is no recreational crabbing allowed in Maryland. For now, only commercial crabbing is authorized. Have to wait until things improve and the Governor reinstates recreational boating/crabbing and fishing.
Howard
Big Rad
Lifetime Member

Chase Happiness because life is short

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 08:33:04 PM »

I talked to DNR official today. Right now there is no recreational crabbing allowed in Maryland. For now, only commercial crabbing is authorized. Have to wait until things improve and the Governor reinstates recreational boating/crabbing and fishing.
Howard

I received different information.  Crabbing and fishing are allowed by recreational sportsmen.

I hear the sound of one hand clapping....you don't??

KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 09:19:01 AM »

I would use caution when asking for answers from DNR.  I would not use the word recreational, because recreational boating is not allowed.  I would ask if you can catch crabs for food for the family, that is allowed. 
Wallco99

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 09:30:34 AM »

You're right KC. The way things get phrased is crucial nowadays.
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 10:13:17 AM »

Seems as if I've seen half of Deleware's population out on the roads and at the public boat ramps/bridges while out fishing over the last two weeks on the eastern shore. . I've been checked numerous times by Talbot, Caroline, Dorchester and Somerset County sheriffs and DNR. I haven't had any problems with any of them. DNR was checking people's crab catches in Somerset and didn't ask any questions about the guys in the boat from Deleware. Just wanted to make sure there were no  shorts and females. 
dwsweck

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 06:09:22 AM »

I sent a email to dnr of md. asking for clarification,on fishing for food,and crabbing for food,the april 17th updated info. says,Limited fishing and crabbing is allowed if your seeking food for your family.But I asked how can i do that when the very same guide lines expressly say stay at home or face a 5000 dollar fine or a year in jail.I asked if its essential to travel to crab or fish to get food for my family,or do i need to have no other source of food to do this.I was told at this time all they are allow to say is read the frequently asked questions section.
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 06:48:20 AM »

I sent a email to dnr of md. asking for clarification,on fishing for food,and crabbing for food,the april 17th updated info. says,Limited fishing and crabbing is allowed if your seeking food for your family.But I asked how can i do that when the very same guide lines expressly say stay at home or face a 5000 dollar fine or a year in jail.I asked if its essential to travel to crab or fish to get food for my family,or do i need to have no other source of food to do this.I was told at this time all they are allow to say is read the frequently asked questions section.

You're supposed to state you're rights, "I need to catch fish/crab to feed my family".  I hope you don't think they'll come check your food supply in your house?!  They won't!   

arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 07:23:13 AM »

Every sheriff and DNR officer that I've encountered WHILE OUT FISHING AND CRABBING has asked only but a few questions. The first question most of them ask is whether I am fishing for recreation or fishing for food. I usually have my cooler next to me or near me. I tell them," I'm trying to put something in there to take home." Most of them basically say that that's all they need to hear and go away. A couple of the DNR guys did want to inspect my catch. And that was cool also.
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 11:44:43 AM »

Every sheriff and DNR officer that I've encountered WHILE OUT FISHING AND CRABBING has asked only but a few questions. The first question most of them ask is whether I am fishing for recreation or fishing for food. I usually have my cooler next to me or near me. I tell them," I'm trying to put something in there to take home." Most of them basically say that that's all they need to hear and go away. A couple of the DNR guys did want to inspect my catch. And that was cool also.

When you and I were out that Monday morning the deputy asked if we were fishing for sport or for food.  I told him we were checking to see if the fish were there, if they were we would launch our Kayaks with our coolers.  He said that's what he wanted to hear and wished us luck.

When we were coming in to the ramp that evening, there was an officer there, as soon as he saw us lift the coolers out of our kayaks, he left without even getting out of his car or saying a word to us.  Once he saw the coolers, he knew we were keeping what we caught.

There's no place like roam!
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 12:08:55 PM »

how did he know it wasn't  just lunch and soda's or beer?
Wallco99

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 12:32:19 PM »

how did he know it wasn't  just lunch and soda's or beer?

I'm sure it didn't matter to him what was in the cooler. This is probably a rule that he absolutely does not want to have to enforce anyway, and the cooler gave him his "out". DNR, and all law enforcement for that matter, just want to get back to punishing actual crimes, and don't want to have to haul away a father and son for snagging a few fish, or having a catch in the park. They know this makes them look bad, and further reduces their credibility with a certain portion of the population. The sad thing is, this is ABSOLUTELY not their fault at all. They are being forced to uphold these extreme policies regardless of how they feel about it. Now, certain "leaders" (I use that term loosely) want citizens to start ratting out their friends and neighbors every chance they get. They're even setting up hotlines for it. This is, of course, when they're not flying drones over towns to keep the people in line.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:43:32 PM by Wallco99 » Logged
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 02:32:47 PM »

The other evening while fishing from shore DNR drove by and slowed down and just kept on going. It may have been one of the same officers that have checked me before or like Rick was saying I think they're more worried about catching people that are actually doing more serious stuff.

squidspeak

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »

I'm sure it didn't matter to him what was in the cooler. This is probably a rule that he absolutely does not want to have to enforce anyway, and the cooler gave him his "out". DNR, and all law enforcement for that matter, just want to get back to punishing actual crimes, and don't want to have to haul away a father and son for snagging a few fish, or having a catch in the park. They know this makes them look bad, and further reduces their credibility with a certain portion of the population. The sad thing is, this is ABSOLUTELY not their fault at all. They are being forced to uphold these extreme policies regardless of how they feel about it. Now, certain "leaders" (I use that term loosely) want citizens to start ratting out their friends and neighbors every chance they get. They're even setting up hotlines for it. This is, of course, when they're not flying drones over towns to keep the people in line.
There was rumor of some guy in West Chester handing out spackle sandwiches " lite weight" because of calories and he may have been filmed by a deep state drone. Jesus thank you for Alex Jones.
Wallco99

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 08:34:21 PM »

LOL. I saw that guy last week.   laugh laugh However, my above statements are 100% accurate.
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 08:46:18 PM »

how did he know it wasn't  just lunch and soda's or beer?
I have also considered that he may have been checking to see if we got in before dark or had proper lighting if we were coming in after dusk. 

There's no place like roam!
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 05:05:39 AM »

There was rumor of some guy in West Chester handing out spackle sandwiches " lite weight" because of calories and he may have been filmed by a deep state drone. Jesus thank you for Alex Jones.

Too funny.  No comment, except, I think he's busy removing his smoke detectors in his home today.   laugh laugh laugh
Howard

Be Safe Out There

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 10:42:02 PM »

Just article in Delaware News Journal and from what I gathered both MD and DE police as well as DNR officials are not really going to intervene/stop/ or give you citation unless you are truly violating the law and
appear to have other bad intentions. Hopefully by the time I want to go which is late May, the restrictions will be relaxed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home