June 03, 2020, 09:01:21 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snood length and spacing from chain  (Read 161 times)
daveski3

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2020, 12:16:28 PM »

I crab regularly in the Wye using 20-25 topless traps but I'm finally upgrading to a trotline. We ran one years ago when i was a kid/teen so this isn't completely new to me. I am making two 600' trotlines using #5 loktite and 1/8 snood. Based on my searching on this forum, I will space the snoods about 4-5', probably 5. I've seen some say to give 10 feet between the chain and the first snood. What is recommended for the space between the chain and the first/last snood?

Also, I will be making 1/8" snoods with four knots. I've seen some say to use 10" and some say 12". If I'm using four knots, is 12" recommended? I was afraid if I did 10" they may end up being a little too short.

Thanks in advance
Dave
SlickCam

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 09:57:08 PM »

First things first, unless you already have #5 line already on hand, I'd recommend stepping up to atleast #6, better yet #7-#8. It will give you less tangles especially with snoods. Snood spacing is gonna depend primarily on your bait choice. 5-6ft works well for both chicken and clam because you can bait every snood with chicken/eel/bull lip but skip every other with clam since you don't need as much bait. Snood length with 4 knots will again depend on bait. If your mostly using chicken I'd say long snoods, if your mostly running clam I'd make snoods shorter to allow for bags hanging down. I think 12" is the minimum length before tying knots. Gonna depend on how you attach them to your main line too. I clove hitch mine so I cut them a little longer to allow for tying them on.

Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 10:39:57 PM »

go 15' to 20' from chain to first bait.  That way you'll be ready with your net when the first bait comes up.

Git 'r dun!
Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 11:59:48 PM »

go 15' to 20' from chain to first bait.  That way you'll be ready with your net when the first bait comes up.

Same on the far end. That will give you a little time to lift it off before your chain is up and over your propstick. I tie a little ribbon by my last neck, so I know it is the last neck.
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 04:45:01 PM »

Same on the far end. That will give you a little time to lift it off before your chain is up and over your propstick. I tie a little ribbon by my last neck, so I know it is the last neck.

This is interesting to me.  I put my first bait 6' same as all the other spacing.  I guess it depends on how one runs the line?!  I pick my line onto the roller with the net, so it's always in hand.  Also with 50' of down line I've got plenty of line before the bait comes up, or before I've got to flip it off at the far end.  I just let the chain go over the roller before I flip it off.  I found with my set up that works best with the front guides on the roller the chain isn't pulling down on the line and it's easier to flip off.  I use the net to flip off, just reverse it and use the handle end.

Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 08:14:29 PM »

This is interesting to me.  I put my first bait 6' same as all the other spacing.  I guess it depends on how one runs the line?!  I pick my line onto the roller with the net, so it's always in hand.  Also with 50' of down line I've got plenty of line before the bait comes up, or before I've got to flip it off at the far end.  I just let the chain go over the roller before I flip it off.  I found with my set up that works best with the front guides on the roller the chain isn't pulling down on the line and it's easier to flip off.  I use the net to flip off, just reverse it and use the handle end.

I just don't like my chain going over my roller. Unnecessary wear and tear on my propstick. But that is just me, to each his own. Also, I had a loose screw or something on my rubber flap once, and it grabbed the chain on one of the passes. I thought is was going to rip my stick off of the boat. Fortunately the screw gave way first.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home