February 26, 2021, 04:52:10 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rec crabbing  (Read 2014 times)
lank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2020, 03:45:50 PM »

Are we allowed to crab recreationally in the Chessie?

"A crabber's friendship is like peeing your pants...everyone can see it; but only you can feel it's true warmth."
RandJonthebay

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 04:05:44 PM »

Yes but not on Wednesdays unless you're a water front land owner. Then you can work your two pots from your dock or shoreline.
RandJonthebay

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 04:16:32 PM »

Forgot to mention that you will need a license whether you live in Md. or any other state unless you are only using hand lines. If only using hand lines, you may Crab 7 days a week with a limit of two dozen male hard crabs.
miracleson82

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »

Per person?
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 04:54:26 PM »

You can crab with handlines only if you do not have a license with a limit of 2 dozen per person. But if you have a license you can keep up to a bushel per person. You can crab 24/7 with handlines during the crabbing season.

You have been allowed to crab this whole time.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 09:15:57 PM »

For only $10 annually, I'd get the license!    thumbsup

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 06:26:03 PM »

If I was only going to hand line I doubt I'd waste the money on a license.  Rarely will ya get over 2 dozen using only handlines,  and if ya have one of your kids with ya it's next to impossible to get 4 dozen.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 08:42:17 PM »

$10 is not a waste to most people!

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 07:25:31 AM »

If I was only going to hand line I doubt I'd waste the money on a license.  Rarely will ya get over 2 dozen using only handlines,  and if ya have one of your kids with ya it's next to impossible to get 4 dozen.

That really depends on where and when you crab. I have pulled many bushel out with just handlines before. I am talking within the last few years. The best I have done was a bushel in 2 hours with 11 handlines. That was an amazing day. Big crab on every line and before you could pull the next line up there was already another one on the line you just tossed in. But that was around 15 years ago.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 11:23:33 AM »

Yep, sometimes handlines work.. and when they're on it's definately the most fun way of crabbing.. Great sport.

But that's why I used the word "Rarely".   Rarely will ya get more than a couple dozen per person.

As far as $10 not being a waste of money... You're exactly right. As a Maryland resident we appreciate all out of state people spending their money here, whether ya need to or not!   Thanks!!

I love to fish, but I live to crab.

whale

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 11:03:28 PM »

iím looking to rec crab with my son Friday (6/12/20) at flag ponds nature park off the pier with hand lines and chicken necks/legs late morning. is it a waste of time or can we catch some? we are going to explore a bunch of parks and stuff this summer and hoping to catch some
crabs here and there.

thanks!
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 05:42:06 AM »

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't catch any there. You can always go down to Solomons Fishing Pier also. Close enough to try both if one or the other isn't working. Good luck and just have some fun.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 07:17:44 AM »

Won't know if you don't go.  Give it a try, its better then sitting on a couch.   Wink Wink

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
whale

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 04:53:40 PM »

Won't know if you don't go.  Give it a try, its better then sitting on a couch.   Wink Wink

well we ended up going today but got a late start and arrived at solomonís around 1:15pm (not a good time - low tide) and struck out for about 90 mins when we got stormed out early. we then headed north to try out kingís landing (probably too far north) until the park closed... almost caught one but it got away.

we are going to try again tomorrow probably south of the bridge on the eastern bay side around afternoon high tide  2thumbsup my son enjoyed seeing some folks catching some rockfish and catfish and perch!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 04:57:51 PM »

well we ended up going today but got a late start and arrived at solomonís around 1:15pm (not a good time - low tide) and struck out for about 90 mins when we got stormed out early. we then headed north to try out kingís landing (probably too far north) until the park closed... almost caught one but it got away.

we are going to try again tomorrow probably south of the bridge on the eastern bay side around afternoon high tide  2thumbsup my son enjoyed seeing some folks catching some rockfish and catfish and perch!

Kings landing is a little far up this early.  It's hard to catch much at the piers.  Next time you are at Solomon's you may want to consider renting a skiff from Bunky's.  That will give you more freedom to move about.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

whale

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 05:29:33 PM »

Kings landing is a little far up this early.  It's hard to catch much at the piers.  Next time you are at Solomon's you may want to consider renting a skiff from Bunky's.  That will give you more freedom to move about.

if i go alone sometime without my 7 year old son iíd like to try that. we are going to stick to piers and easy access for now. think we will give choptank off the bill burton pier, then hit up a swimming spot after crabbing to make it all even more fun for my son!
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 05:33:46 PM »

At least you tried. If you go to Bill Burton, bring some traps and make sure they have about 40 ft of line attached to them. That water is about 4 ft to 18 ft in depth depending on where you are on the pier. It is about 15 ft down to the water from the pier. Plus allow some extra line to tie off with and the current sometimes makes the traps drift out a little further. The handlines won't work unless you have an extremely long net to get to the water with.
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 05:35:42 PM »

I crab Bill Burton a few times a year when I'm not in my kayak and the water is too cold where I normally go.
whale

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 05:41:39 PM »

At least you tried. If you go to Bill Burton, bring some traps and make sure they have about 40 ft of line attached to them. That water is about 4 ft to 18 ft in depth depending on where you are on the pier. It is about 15 ft down to the water from the pier. Plus allow some extra line to tie off with and the current sometimes makes the traps drift out a little further. The handlines won't work unless you have an extremely long net to get to the water with.

oh wow thanks for the heads up!! i didnít realize it was that high up! we definitely donít have the equipment to handle that... maybe we will just try matapeake or romancoke then!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home