June 03, 2020, 09:40:56 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does a com license allow the use of 31or more topless traps in the Lil Choptank  (Read 287 times)
Harford Crabber

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2020, 09:09:12 AM »

I was under the impression that a commercial license gave the user a complimentary rec license (ie. max 30 traps).  If a commercial crabber cannot put regular crabpots in a river would they be allowed to use more than 30 topless (rec style) traps in a river.

I love to fish, but I live to crab
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 09:11:16 AM »

I was under the impression that a commercial license gave the user a complimentary rec license (ie. max 30 traps).  If a commercial crabber cannot put regular crabpots in a river would they be allowed to use more than 30 topless (rec style) traps in a river.

As long as it is within commercial hours, a commercial crabber may use more then 30 traps.  I am not exactly sure but I had heard they may use 50.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Harford Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 11:15:27 AM »

Do you know if it's somewhere in the commercial regs that allows a comm to put 50 traps in a river.  (or more than 30 for that matter)

I know some lcc's have a 50 pot license but I always thought that was for pots in the bay, not traps in a river.  I had heard years ago they don't  allow pots in rivers because they wanted to give trotliners room to work and pots being out 24-7 would not leave much room for trotline lays.

rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 12:47:08 PM »

some say there is no limit on snatch traps or what most call crab traps because crab traps are not listed in the regs under comm regs. I myself used to run 50 crab traps with my lcc lic years ago in Thompson creek. I was stopped several times by dnr and checked for safety gear and crabs but my traps were never an issue with any officer that stopped me
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 01:00:02 PM »

Crab POTS and crab TRAPS are two different things. The crab POT restriction line for the whole Bay is defined in COMAR. If somebody is setting crab traps and leaving them for 24 hrs they're wasting their time and probably violating the law because of the time restrictions on everything except hand lines.

mbrage97

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 01:35:01 PM »

An acquaintance has a 50 pot LCC, unlimited trotline, etc......  He knows the rules & regularly runs up to 50 topless traps When crabbing in creeks. 
Harford Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 01:48:26 PM »

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 03:02:11 PM by Harford Crabber » Logged

Harford Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 03:16:22 PM »

some say there is no limit on snatch traps or what most call crab traps because crab traps are not listed in the regs under comm regs. I myself used to run 50 crab traps with my lcc lic years ago in Thompson creek. I was stopped several times by dnr and checked for safety gear and crabs but my traps were never an issue with any officer that stopped me

I been wasting time reading regs on this rainy day.   I see what you are saying.   Since all rec gear listed in B. 1-7  can be used by comms for commercial crab harvesting that would include topless traps.  Since it doesn't specifically say how many collapsible traps can be used by a comm that could be interpreted that a comm could use any number they like.

Comar 08.02.03.01

.01 Crabbing Gear.
A. Lawful Gear.
(1) A person may catch crabs in the tidal waters of Maryland only with the gear authorized in this chapter.
(2) Diving Apparatus. A person may not possess or catch crabs in the tidal waters of Maryland using diving apparatus by itself, or in conjunction with any of the other methods authorized in this chapter.
(3) Gear designated to catch crabs and defined in this chapter, except for a seine, is not considered a net under the definition listed in COMAR 08.02.05.02.

B. Recreational Gear—Definitions.
(1) The gear defined in this section may be used to catch crabs for recreational purposes.
(2) "Collapsible crab trap" means a manually operated, portable device:
(a) Having a flat bottom not more than 20 inches by 15 inches, and not more than four articulated sides; and
(b) Designed so that failure to apply manually exerted tension on the closing mechanism allows the crabs to escape.
(3) "Crab net ring" means a manually operated, portable device that:
(a) Consists of:
(i) Two rings, each of a different diameter, connected by netting, where the larger of the two rings shall be less than or equal to 30 inches in diameter; or
(ii) One ring that shall be less than or equal to 30 inches in diameter, connected to netting;
(b) When baited and lowered to the bottom, lies flat on the bottom; and
(c) When pulled to the surface, forms a deep pocket out of the netting.
(4) "Crab pot" means a cube-shaped or rectangular shaped device with openings toward the inside for the entrance of crabs.
(5) "Dip net" means a mesh bag of netting or wire which is suspended from a circular, oval, or a rectangular frame attached to a handle.
(6) "Handline" means a fishing line managed primarily by hand.
(7) "Trotline" means a length of rope or line, buoyed at both ends with one or more anchors, which is baited without hooks or snares at intervals for the purpose of catching crabs.
(Cool "Seine" means an encircling type of net which is not more than 50 feet long and 5 feet wide.

C. Commercial Gear.
(1) In addition to the gear listed in §B(2)—(7) of this regulation, the gear defined in this section may also be used for commercial crab harvesting.
(2) "Bank trap" means an enclosure constructed of wire mesh not more than 4 feet long and not more than 4 feet wide, with a single row of hedging not more than 75 feet long.
(3) "Barrel" means a container with a minimum capacity of 32 gallons and which holds not more than 2-1/2 U.S. standard bushels of crabs.
(4) "Channel pound" means an enclosure constructed of wire mesh not more than 8 feet long and not more than 4 feet wide, with two rows of hedging, each not longer than 100 feet long.
(5) "Crab scrape" means a scoop or other device which is dragged along the bottom for the purpose of catching crabs.
(6) "Hand scrape" means a single scoop or other device which is:
(a) Dragged along the bottom for the purpose of catching crabs; and
(b) Retrieved by hand without the aid of any mechanical device during any stage of the retrieval.

Harford Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 03:20:38 PM »

The hi-lited line below still makes it questionable as to whether or not more than 30 traps can be used by anybody,   But who cares as long as it doesn't become a problem.

.06 Collapsible Crab Traps and Crab Net Rings.
A. An individual may not set or fish a crab net ring or collapsible crab trap within 100 feet of another individual’s set trotline, collapsible crab trap, or net ring.

B. In the coastal bays of the Atlantic Ocean and their tidal tributaries:
(1) An individual may not catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes with any combination of more than ten collapsible traps and net rings; or
(2) If two or more individuals are catching or attempting to catch crabs for recreational purposes on a boat, not more than any combination of 25 collapsible traps and net rings may be set per boat.

C. In the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries:
(1) An individual may not catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes with collapsible traps or net rings unless the individual is:
(a) Licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes; or
(b) On a boat licensed as a recreational crabbing boat;
(2) If an individual is licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes, not more than 30 collapsible traps or net rings or not more than 30 of a combination of collapsible traps and net rings may be set; and
(3) Not more than 30 collapsible traps or net rings or not more than 30 of a combination of collapsible traps and net rings may be set per boat:
(a) Regardless of the number of individuals licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes on a boat; or
(b) If the boat is licensed as a recreational crabbing boat.
D. A collapsible crab trap or crab net ring which is not attached to a pier, wharf, or boat shall be marked with a buoy bearing the owner’s:
(1) DNRid number, if recreationally crabbing in the Chesapeake Bay or its tidal tributaries;
(2) Name and address, if recreationally crabbing in the Atlantic Ocean, its coastal bays, or their tidal tributaries; or
(3) Commercial license number.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 03:38:42 PM by Harford Crabber » Logged

Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 08:11:27 PM »

I don't think it makes it questionable at all.

(3) Not more than 30 collapsible traps or net rings or not more than 30 of a combination of collapsible traps and net rings may be set per boat:
(a) Regardless of the number of individuals licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes on a boat; or
(b) If the boat is licensed as a recreational crabbing boat.

(3) applies to recreational only

My understanding is that a commercial license holder can use unlimited snatch pots, but how many are practical?

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee

partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 09:21:16 PM »

me thinks mr breeze knows what he's talking about, i was thinking this was the way it was but never seen it in writing. and how many is practical? i have only run 30 and thats enough if the crabs are there, 50 would be a lot of lost bait
im2fast4you33
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 10:33:43 PM »

you cant check 50 fast enough. 

honestly there is nothing in comm. regs about pull traps.  so realy its up to the interpretation of the officer and the judge.

i cant see it being worth it to be honest
Harford Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 01:59:32 PM »

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 02:16:40 PM by Harford Crabber » Logged

crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »

Comms can use "unlimited" traps and line (rec gear).    Only limits are # of pots authorized by license in the main stem.  Last season when I was experiencing a lot of drop off's, I threw 60 topless in addition to lots of line on a particular day.  Pain in the neck, I agree with Breeze, but within legal gear, knock yourself out.  it did pay off for me.        

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home