July 07, 2020, 11:26:53 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How far from the gunnel is your prop stick?  (Read 656 times)
thecameraguy
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2020, 09:43:00 PM »

Trying to figure out a more permanent set up. I'm thinking about 20" and there should still be enough room for the net between the line and the boat. Any suggestions?
Wallco99

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 06:53:08 PM »

Trying to figure out a more permanent set up. I'm thinking about 20" and there should still be enough room for the net between the line and the boat. Any suggestions?

I go just far enough for my can buoy to pass between the propstick and boat. 20" sounds about right.
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 07:47:05 PM »

depends on what side of the line you dip
Wallco99

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 07:53:03 PM »

depends on what side of the line you dip

Actually, where I have it set either side is dippable. Seems to work out pretty good. I'll have to measure it, 20" was a guess.
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 05:35:59 AM »

I'd go a little further, like 22"-24".  This will help with the chance of the line going into the propeller if you get crossed up in a drift, plus you'll have greater visibility and space for the net.  But consider what was suggested on under vs. over dippers.  If you're an over the line dipper, it's a further reach, under is a no-brainer and you can lay the dip net on the gunnel giving your arm a break.       

Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 07:08:25 PM »

You want to be comfortable, catching the line and dipping well reachable from the helm, that is the bigger concern, IMO.  My forward cabin boat has mine near 8 feet from the transom.  
Wallco99

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 07:57:47 PM »

You want to be comfortable, catching the line and dipping well reachable from the helm, that is the bigger concern, IMO.  My forward cabin boat has mine near 8 feet from the transom.  

I think he means how for away from the boat, itself. At least that's how I read it.
thecameraguy
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 10:18:39 AM »

I think he means how for away from the boat, itself. At least that's how I read it.
I'm running a Whaler Montauk 150. the prop stick is located about 2' forward of the transom. I'm probably going to go with a setup that places the "U" part of the prop stick around 20"22" from the side.
Thanks guys!
thecameraguy
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 09:08:07 PM »

I guess me in quarantine is good for something after all. Thanks to those who supplied some input. I went with 24" from the gunnel.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 02:34:20 PM »

Yes, I misread that completely!

crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 07:25:41 PM »

I guess me in quarantine is good for something after all. Thanks to those who supplied some input. I went with 24" from the gunnel.

I like what you did.  I like the pins for quick removal as well.  I think you're solid at 24".  Can you dip from the helm if you ever needed to steer and dip yourself?  Not saying you need to, but on occasion, if you don't have crew, it may not be that difficult to do.  I noticed you went into an existing rod holder. 
thecameraguy
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 10:30:56 PM »

I like what you did.  I like the pins for quick removal as well.  I think you're solid at 24".  Can you dip from the helm if you ever needed to steer and dip yourself?  Not saying you need to, but on occasion, if you don't have crew, it may not be that difficult to do.  I noticed you went into an existing rod holder. 
Good catch by you! I installed the rod holders after a beta test with rod holders attached to the rails. The rail situation just wasn't solid enough for my liking. Regarding a solo trip: I took that into consideration and I made a 2nd mount for the rod holder that raises up the prop stick by about 4". This moves the exit angle of the trot line forward and will allow me to dip from the helm on solo trips.

The gadget that functions as a holder for the dip net is a Robo-Cup. Well worth the $20 investment for crabbing/surf fishing.Available on Amazon. I have 3 of them. They function well in a golf cart too.
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 05:23:01 AM »

Nice looking setup you have there!  Thanks for pointing out the Robo-cup.  Is that swim noodle buoyant enough to float the net if it goes overboard?  And I really like that merc motor! 
thecameraguy
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 08:40:31 AM »

Nice looking setup you have there!  Thanks for pointing out the Robo-cup.  Is that swim noodle buoyant enough to float the net if it goes overboard?  And I really like that merc motor! 
The swim noodle provides enough buoyancy to allow time for me to holler at whoever dropped it and keeps the handle visible.
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 04:01:05 PM »

From the design of the stick, the line will spend most of the time running along the crook of the outer elbow. How far would that make line from gunwale?

Say brother....can you spare a crab...

thecameraguy
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 08:44:51 PM »

Roughly 33". Using the same stick last season the line pretty much used all of the roller from elbow to elbow.
U812OHNO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 02:01:52 PM »

The companies that make them up and sell them...they do 16" from the side of the boat out to the center of the prop stick.  Whatever you put it at, you'll get used to it and it'll work just fine.  Just make sure you have enough room to dip that crab no matter where he comes up on the line. 
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 02:16:32 PM »

Roughly 33". Using the same stick last season the line pretty much used all of the roller from elbow to elbow.
I would recommend tying a tag line on the bottom port side of your guide. If you get your line snagged on something, that pvc will snap.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home