March 06, 2021, 07:20:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing from a public pier  (Read 765 times)
novicecrabber

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2020, 02:56:27 PM »

If an adult group is using traps at a public pier to catch crab, does everyone in the group need a crabbing licence or just the person who is going to keep the crabs?
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 03:17:19 PM »

Whoever intends to be pulling up those traps must get a license.
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 03:18:13 PM »

5 dollars for the license is way better than a 100$ fine.
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 03:20:34 PM »

Just looked it up. 25 to 200$ for a first offense and up to 30 days imprisonment. Pretty steep.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 05:28:28 PM »

Just looked it up. 25 to 200$ for a first offense and up to 30 days imprisonment. Pretty steep.

You may have missed this:
You do not need a license if you are using the following gear:
◦Handlines
◦Dip nets

If you are crabbing without a license using license-exempt gear, you are still limited to the unlicensed crabber limits of no more than 24 male hard crabs and no more than 12 soft crabs or male peeler crabs.

You also do not need a license if you are:
◦Assisting another individual who has a recreational crabbing license
◦Crabbing from a boat that is displaying a recreational crabbing boat decal

arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 05:35:16 PM »

But it was specifically implied that all involved were going to be pulling traps from a public pier. I don't think a DNR officer would care whether or not they are just " assisting" the person who actually intends to keep the crabs.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 06:05:54 PM »

Well, actually I think the Officer would have to go by the Law. As long as the unlicensed people weren't keeping crabs caught in the traps they're not doing anything illegal. Not my call, just pointing out the regs.
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 06:51:20 PM »

My experience being out on Bill Burton Pier says otherwise. I've been checked numerous times, while  having friends with me, Each of those times the officer checked us all for licences if he or she noticed any of us pulling up gear. It may be different while on a licensed boat or on a boat with someone with a license, but out on a pier if you're seen pulling gear, you're essentially  crabbing and need a license.
shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 07:07:12 PM »

Seems like Semantics over a $5 license. Why risk the fine. 

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 07:38:23 PM »

But it was specifically implied that all involved were going to be pulling traps from a public pier. I don't think a DNR officer would care whether or not they are just " assisting" the person who actually intends to keep the crabs.

Katie and I crabbed from several piers last year, and saw DNR officers each time. Never was she asked for a license. Now, that may have been because I greeted the officers with a smile with my license in hand, and immediately invited them to look at what we had caught so far. Each time we had extended chats with the officers, and they were present when we pulled traps.

Maybe I just look like the most unintimidating person on the face of the earth and therefore am not expected to be performing nefarious deeds!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin

I can only stress on so many things in one day - looks like you're not making the list. Tomorrow isn't looking so hot, either.

arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 07:56:36 PM »

Maybe so. I encourage everyone going out with me to get their license.  Not worth the trouble over 5 or 10 dollars.
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 08:01:17 PM »

Maybe so. I encourage everyone going out with me to get their license.  Not worth the trouble over 5 or 10 dollars.

I agree. If there were more than just the two of us the reaction may have been different. Maybe being old gave me some brownie points  Angel Angel

I can only stress on so many things in one day - looks like you're not making the list. Tomorrow isn't looking so hot, either.
Glush
Lifetime Member

^My first keeper crab pic^

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 12:30:57 AM »

If someone own 365 Bay & Coastal Fishing License, Crabbing License add-on cost $2. Just info)
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 05:29:23 AM »

Maybe I just look like the most unintimidating person on the face of the earth and therefore am not expected to be performing nefarious deeds!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin

Those are the type you have to look out for!  Wink

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 11:02:12 AM »

Those are the type you have to look out for!  Wink

Probably. The most brazen scams are pulled by folks who waltz in acting like they belong there. Exude enough positive confidence and you could probably walk off with most anything!

arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 11:07:16 AM »

Probably. The most brazen scams are pulled by folks who waltz in acting like they belong there. Exude enough positive confidence and you could probably walk off with most anything!
Agreed 100%
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 08:14:57 AM by Steve » Logged
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 09:52:48 AM »

When I have been checked by the DNR I give them my license. All my gear have my license number on them. I have never had trouble with other people using my gear as long as we did not have over my limit of crabs or gear. So I have never had an issue.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 02:27:22 PM »

Someone else pulling your traps (gear) better be assisting you, which means they don't need a license.  They can also assist you in eating the crabs (maximum of 1 bushel y'all catch)  provided you're willing to share.   Provided y'all don't exceed catching one bushel of keepers the DNR officer will be fine with only one of ya having a license.

If they are are not assisting you they are breaking the law pulling someone else's gear and they deserve a fine.   (and to be wooped within 1" of their life)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 02:37:38 PM by Harford Crabber » Logged

I love to fish, but I live to crab.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home