September 17, 2021, 05:41:49 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrong Crab Pot?  (Read 1134 times)
flagg6805

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2020, 09:14:53 AM »

Hi All!

My mother, bless her heart, in an effort to get me something nice for Father's Day bought me this crab trap. From doing some research it appears that this type of pot is for dungeness crab on the West Coast. Question is, can it still be used for blue crab fishing or will I need to send it back? Can it be modified for blue crab? Any help, comments, suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBWB93R/?tag=bca1-20
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 04:58:53 PM »

The main thing is that it was the thought that counts, but I'd would send it back and reinvest that $65 on Blue Crab traps ( and you'll get more than one, besides). Could be topless, Rings, or the four door with top, etc.

Ron

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 05:13:58 AM »

Hi All!

My mother, bless her heart, in an effort to get me something nice for Father's Day bought me this crab trap. From doing some research it appears that this type of pot is for dungeness crab on the West Coast. Question is, can it still be used for blue crab fishing or will I need to send it back? Can it be modified for blue crab? Any help, comments, suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBWB93R/?tag=bca1-20

One of the unfortunate learning experiences of many a new blue crabbers (and well meaning relatives) is the mistaken investment in a crab pot designed for the much larger west coast crabs. Blue crabs are much smaller and will have no difficulty in simply stepping out of these big trap grill sizes. You CAN, if you want, modify it with wire cloth that's a tighter mesh but it just seems a lot of work. Like the other respondent stated, it would be easier just to go for the right sized equipment.

Having said that, across the years, I seriously have seen more than several obviously new crabbing enthusiasts bring west coast type pots to piers around long island and be sadly disappointed when everyone is pulling up crabs except them. IMHO, sellers bear a large part of the responsibility because of their deceitful marketing, purposely lacking this detail in their advertising and allowing their product to be thus sold regardless of the needs of the customer.
double E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 07:22:03 AM »

Not exactly up on the rec rules for traps, but wouldn't the 24x24 footprint of this trap make it illegal? I might be wrong, maybe someone could confirm. 
bassman349

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 08:50:11 AM »

Not exactly up on the rec rules for traps, but wouldn't the 24x24 footprint of this trap make it illegal? I might be wrong, maybe someone could confirm. 

I reckon it would be in Maryland, but the original poster indicates a NY location.

ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 08:50:24 PM »

Here are NYS's rules regarding recreational crabbing, including what a crab pot needs to have:

SOURCE: https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/75333.html

And to add to the confusion, NYC's rules seem to be a little bit different, stating the following: "Fishing Traps - Use of traps to catch fish and/or crustaceans is not allowed in areas under NYC Parks jurisdiction."  Sad Sad Sad

SOURCE: https://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/fishing

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home