July 04, 2020, 10:55:44 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snoods......does it matter?  (Read 593 times)
jamie642

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2020, 04:28:51 PM »

I always wondered when baiting my line with chicken necks if it mattered whether the neck was close to the trotline or far away from it or does it matter?  see the picture. just wondering if it makes a difference.
PDH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 05:00:36 PM »

Jamie that's a good question.  I use snoods on all my lines but I'm not 100% convinced that snooded lines catch any better than lines without snoods.  If the above is true, I'm not sure that snood length would play much of a factor.  The guys that actually know what they are talking about will chime in soon so I'm eager to hear what they say.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 07:19:13 AM »

From what I've heard over the years snoods have been used since crabbers used sailboats to trotline, before motors. Sailing down a line crabbers would have to tack to and fro to got somewhat straight. Snoods would help keep the crabs on and not shake them off as bad. Then came the internal combustion engine and snoods went away for some time then someone decided they were needed again to boost catch rates. I have used snooded lines for over 15 years and like the way they work and the ease in baiting and unbaiting since I crab every sat and sun day through the season and use clams. For the average crabber who crabs to eat and only needs a couple doz to a bu or so it probably doesn't matter but tryin to make a buck and baiting 3 to 4 thousand feet of line with anything especially clams it does make a difference. JMHO.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 01:03:25 PM »

Snoods make a positive difference IMO.  Anywhere in the middle of those lengths is perfect again, iMO.
jamie642

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 06:18:20 PM »

Thank you. Good info.

wyeman87

gotta get them mumbos

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 07:28:41 AM »

Easier to bait #1 and the shock cord stops the transfer of vibration on the line that would normally shake a crab off the line waves etc hands down snoods are the way to go as far as length closer to the line the snood is the more they feel in my opinion!!

NOTHING is better then being out on the water at the crack of dawn laying that trotline out then scoopin mumbos back to back!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home