October 01, 2020, 03:41:22 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salted bait 8/7/2020  (Read 698 times)
WadeG

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2020, 01:29:24 PM »

Since the water has gotten into the 80's I am getting around two hours on my chicken necks then I am crabbing with neck bones and empty snoods, I was thinking of salting them down for a couple of days prior to use to try to toughen them up. Would this be a waste of time or should I take enough necks to re-bait on the water.  Thanks.

Wade 
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Now the search begins!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 02:50:14 PM »

It will draw blood out and toughen them up ( used the method before), this is another reason to use foul necks if you can get them.  They are darker and more tough (muscular) than chicken IMO.

Now the search begins...
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Now the search begins!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 02:51:54 PM »

https://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?topic=43035.0

An old thread on the subject.

Now the search begins...
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 03:26:00 PM »

I stopped salting neck when I stared using clams. I use clams 2 days and on a rare occasion 3 days. when I pull lines I ice down the top of each barrel. my best weekend was earlier this season when I did 9 1/2 bu of real nice crabs for 2 days crabbin. that sat I did 6 bu and sun I did 3 1/2 bu, clam were trash on sunday.
WadeG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 10:35:37 PM »

rdbeard, Summertop Thanks for the replies, gives me some options.

Wade

Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 04:15:44 PM »

Since the water has gotten into the 80's I am getting around two hours on my chicken necks then I am crabbing with neck bones and empty snoods, I was thinking of salting them down for a couple of days prior to use to try to toughen them up. Would this be a waste of time or should I take enough necks to re-bait on the water.  Thanks.

Wade  

Saw a post here today where someone recommended putting chicken necks in clambag.  Crabs still smell em and try to eat em but the necks last longer because crabs can't get to them as easily.  Don't know how well it works.  But I plan to give it a try just to see...

Doubt I'd do it often cause the clam bags are such a PIA to deal with.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
WadeG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 09:20:13 PM »

Thanks Hartford another option to consider.

Wade
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 04:03:43 PM »

I tried the neck nubs (4-5 per clam bag) the other day and they caught crabs as well as bare necks.  and even though the crabs fed on them there was plenty bait left in all 4 bags that I tried after 4 hours of crabbing.   Down side, they are a little heavier and more resistance when pulling the trap so you  think ya have a crab everytime you pull em.

WadeG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 10:06:39 PM »

I just broke down a 40# box of necks into gallon bags for the freezer, this box seemed to have more nubs and small pieces than previous boxes.  It may be worth getting a dozen or so bags just to use up the small pieces. 

Do you think 1/8" bungee will hold a bag on or should I remove the snood and tie straight to the main line.  Thanks

Wade
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 10:41:18 AM »

I've got one old snood line that i rarely use.  I rarely use clams but did one time early season and put them on the old snood line.  Ended up losing about 40 bags that day.  I know lots of other people use snoods on clam bags with no problems so I attribute my losing bags to dried out bungies and snubbers. 

You could always put the bags directly on the line in between your snoods with slip knots.  Pretty sure that's how Jake Phelps attaches em.

WadeG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 10:27:44 PM »

Harford Crabber, Thanks for the reply, I ordered 50 bags from eBay I think, anyway baited a 300 foot line, 6 foot spacing every other snood with a bag containing 4 or 5 nubs did not have a single crab go to a bag, ended up removing the bags and baiting with necks. Lucky I did not lose any bags. I launch my lines from a spool off the back of the boat and the bags did not work well on the small spool.  The day I tried the bags I set upriver from my usual spot trying to find some males and didn't catch much of anything until I moved back down river but I had already removed the bags.  I plan on giving it another try setting my line coiled in a basket. I will be getting another case of necks next week and I will set aside the nubs for bags.

Wade

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home