March 03, 2021, 03:46:20 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Measuring - Broken Points  (Read 1072 times)
nhunter344

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »

I come across crab fairly often that have a broken tip. What is the legally correct way to measure these crabs? Do you measure as is, or can you measure where the end of the broken tip would be (within normal reason)?
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 06:33:23 PM »

I come across crab fairly often that have a broken tip. What is the legally correct way to measure these crabs? Do you measure as is, or can you measure where the end of the broken tip would be (within normal reason)?

If you don't want any issues from the DNR if they check you, I personally would measure as is.  I always cull 1/4" above legal just to prevent any issues.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 08:47:40 AM »

Unless the crab is huge and easily you can tell the crab will make it I will keep them. The issue I would have is if the point gets broken in the basket. I have never had that issue where DNR checks and find a short in my basket. But I have come home to pull my crabs out and a point has been broken.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »

I asked an officer this very question last year.  The comment was, if it's obviously legal and I don't have a basket filled with broken points they will not say anything.
WayneW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 03:31:53 PM »

Little superglue could help... just kidding.  It's strange; Maryland is much more strict on some regulations, but I've never been approached by DNR when I am on that side even though I have been crabbing/fishing every weekend.  But on Delaware side at least my ID is checked every other time I go crabbing.  Maybe there are just so many more fishing locations to cover in MD.

crabbymike17

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 05:39:50 AM »

You will even catch crabs with broken points.  If it measures "as is" it measures.  If it doesn't, throw it back.  Don't risk a fine, they're very hefty.  I believe from 1-4 undersized crabs (recreationally) will cost you $200.   
nhunter344

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 10:44:16 AM »

Thanks for the replies!

Im new to this so luckily I played it safe and only kept those measured as is.
crabbymike17

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 05:17:50 AM »

Thanks for the replies!

Im new to this so luckily I played it safe and only kept those measured as is.

Many years ago, I took some newbie crabbers for a fun day recreationally crabbing on a hot July day.  I was running the boat while the others crabbed and I specifically told those young friends, "make sure every crab touches point-to-point on the measuring gauge!!!!"  I trusted them to do as I asked.  Big mistake!!!  We got boarded by DNR with 2 full bushels and these clowns on my boat had 8 undersized crabs in the baskets!!!!?Huh    DNR boarded and measured every crab and said they cut me a break and split the fines into 2 tickets each of 4 undersized crabs.  My clown friends had had no money or licenses.  I had to pay $400 and that went on my rec license.  Never forgot it.  I don't play with crab size since, nor do I trust some to measure and cull, it either measures or it doesn't.   
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 03:47:18 PM »

Many years ago, I took some newbie crabbers for a fun day recreationally crabbing on a hot July day.  I was running the boat while the others crabbed and I specifically told those young friends, "make sure every crab touches point-to-point on the measuring gauge!!!!"  I trusted them to do as I asked.  Big mistake!!!  We got boarded by DNR with 2 full bushels and these clowns on my boat had 8 undersized crabs in the baskets!!!!?Huh    DNR boarded and measured every crab and said they cut me a break and split the fines into 2 tickets each of 4 undersized crabs.  My clown friends had had no money or licenses.  I had to pay $400 and that went on my rec license.  Never forgot it.  I don't play with crab size since, nor do I trust some to measure and cull, it either measures or it doesn't.   
Wow, good lesson/reminder for us all.
crabbymike17

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 08:16:26 PM »

Wow, good lesson/reminder for us all.

Your safe Guy.  Commercial crabbers get something like up to 5 undersized crab allowance per bushel.  I'm still cautious on measuring while crabbing both commercially or recreationally though. 

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 08:32:46 PM »

I thought recs where allowed 5 under sized crabs per bushel before being fined? Im pretty sure a DNR agent told me this. But this was years ago and it might have changed or the agent was not correct. Not all them know the rules themselves as well as it can be read in many different ways.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 06:55:03 AM »

I thought recs where allowed 5 under sized crabs per bushel before being fined? Im pretty sure a DNR agent told me this. But this was years ago and it might have changed or the agent was not correct. Not all them know the rules themselves as well as it can be read in many different ways.

Indoe

Recs are not allowed to have any undersized.  Comms are allowed 5 undersized per bushel.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2020, 09:11:29 AM »

Had DNR officer tell us Recs and Comms all get the same break on undersized.  Guess it's up to the individual officer.

I always measure the lil ones and if they don't touch they go back over.  But at least a couple times a year I get home and go to cook em and wonder,  How did that one make it in the basket??

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
crabbymike17

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 08:08:33 PM »

Last year I had a DNR officer tell me during a rec trip with friends that I could only use 600 ft. on the Chesapeake.  Wrong, that's the limit for the Atlantic Coast and tributaries.  Some of them aren't that familiar with the regs.  Perhaps, they were new.  But I keep laminated copies of essential COMR stuff on my boat just in case there is a discrepancy.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home