February 25, 2021, 11:07:28 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got a crossbow  (Read 698 times)
Gary S

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »

After much thought I bought a PSE crossbow today. I'm 68 and will turn 69 during deer season, I've killed deer with compounds, recurves, and even longbows but a few years ago I got to where my shoulder just couldn't take it and quit bow hunting but somedays in the fall I just want a good excuse to sit in the woods. I will mostly use the crossbow in DE and almost don't care if I get one but then I do like deer sausage.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 06:46:26 PM »

Fall will be here before you know it.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 08:10:20 PM »

Good luck with the new toy! I hope you get one this year.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
bassman349

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 09:31:47 AM »

After much thought I bought a PSE crossbow today. I'm 68 and will turn 69 during deer season, I've killed deer with compounds, recurves, and even longbows but a few years ago I got to where my shoulder just couldn't take it and quit bow hunting but somedays in the fall I just want a good excuse to sit in the woods. I will mostly use the crossbow in DE and almost don't care if I get one but then I do like deer sausage.

I got one a couple of years ago for the same reasons, could not pull my compound bow very well. I shoot the crossbow a lot, from a bench rest, before the season starts and always make sure of good tight groups before I hunt.  Got 2 pretty nice bucks with it so far. I wouldn't go back to a compound bow for any reason.
Gary S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »

I started bow hunting with a recurve in the 60s and I remember when compounds were first introduced the traditional hunters thought the compounds should not be allowed, later mechanical releases came out and finger shooters thought that should not be allowed. It's funny now to see someone with a compound and mechanical release criticizing the crossbow shooters. If I could still handle it I'd love to get out there with my long bow and no sights but it just isn't going to happen so I'll take the crossbow and enjoy some time in the fall woods hoping a nice doe gets close enough, the wife says we are almost out of deer burger. 

rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 10:11:05 AM »

modern tech. has allot to do with crossbows becoming more accepted. back in the day a crossbow sounded like I screen door slamming when it was shot and deer would jump the shot and the would be a miss or worse a wounded deer that couldn't be recovered.
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 10:21:36 AM »

Looks like you'll be ready incase of a zombie apocalypse!  
   laugh

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 05:02:55 PM »

I hunted with a crossbow before it was legal. I was allowed for medical reasons. I hunted with one for a few years then picked up a bow. I like the challenge. I'm sure I will go back to a crossbow or next new thing when I get to old to pull a bow back.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 11:05:20 PM »

Bought my first crossbow about 6 years ago. Sighted in my scope from 20 to 50 yards. Used the same bolts. Replaced the 100 grn field points with fixed blade broad heads on them. Got my first deer( 6 pointer at 15 yds)  with it a couple hours later and a couple of hundred of yards from where it was sighted in. The deer went less than 50 yards before he expired. This year I'm getting back to where I started almost 40 years ago with a recurve. My dad has a 45 lb Indian Archery Stalker that he bought in 68. He was quite impressive with it. I once saw him shoot a standing goose through the neck at about 40 yards with it. I started out with an 18 pound 1953 Fred Bear recurve and eventually graduated to dad's bow. I never shot anything more than a couple of rabbits with it shooting instinctive. I have a late 80's Hoyt takedown recurve also. I've recently started practicing with both again. The Stalker bow shoots a little more smoothly. I do plan to at least get out a few times this year with it and see what happens.
U812OHNO
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 01:58:20 PM »

Had my shoulder replaced and had to get a note from the Doc to be able to hunt legally with one.  Silent and lethal !!!  Rarely does the arrow get stuck in a deer, it usually blows right on through.  Wash them up, maybe replace a blade or two on the head, and keep on going....that's if you find it Smiley  You'll love it, trust me. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home