April 15, 2021, 08:27:56 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alleged Navasink bull shark sighting  (Read 631 times)
samiam

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2020, 03:29:23 PM »

Unconfirmed Bull Shark Sightings In Navesink River: Cops
https://patch.com/new-jersey/holmdel-hazlet/unconfirmed-bull-shark-sightings-navesink-river-cops

I board surfed Jersey for many, many years and obviously spent a tremendous number of hours semi-immersed in the ocean. I never spent much time worrying about a shark attack. But when that thought did cross my mind, it wasn't a Great White, Mako, or Tiger I pictured, it was a Bull Shark. A White might nibble you to taste what exactly you are made of, and then it would probably spit it out and go rinse out its mouth. A Bull might be more likely to think you were pretty tasty, and return to indulge in some serious dining pleasure. They are also very fresh water tolerant, and will navigate far up rivers on occasion (there is a documented pod of Bull Sharks living above the dam in fresh water Lake Nicaragua). For those who are not aware, the rogue shark that was responsible for the notorious NJ attacks of 1916 that inspired the book and movie "Jaws" is now thought to have probably been a Bull.
U / W HUNTER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 10:46:28 PM »

RUMSON, NJ Rumson police are warning locals to think twice before taking a dip in the Navesink River this summer: a string of unconfirmed bull shark sightings have been confirmed near Rumson, according to local authorities

What does that mean
samiam

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 10:38:11 AM »

RUMSON, NJ Rumson police are warning locals to think twice before taking a dip in the Navesink River this summer: a string of unconfirmed bull shark sightings have been confirmed near Rumson, according to local authorities

What does that mean
It means that people who flunked HS reading comprehension are now writing media articles... There were a number of other outlets carrying the story, including AP, I posted the patch link because it was local. I didn't look to see if that phrasing idiocy was repeated in the other articles. My suspicion is that someone called the cop shop and asked if there were reports of shark sightings, and the cop replied that there were, but that no expert had confirmed that what was sighted was a bull shark. Which all got mangled into the phrase you questioned.
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 12:16:42 PM »

The amazing thing is they were able to identify what species of shark it was too.  But were not sure if it was a shark.  WTF LOL!  Too much TV! 

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »

Nice information but the Navesink river in Rumson it not fresh water.  Living in the land of imagination ( and likely much party gonja too) the only thing missing from the story is what music he wanted played at his post-shark bite funeral.  LOL

Unconfirmed Bull Shark Sightings In Navesink River: Cops
https://patch.com/new-jersey/holmdel-hazlet/unconfirmed-bull-shark-sightings-navesink-river-cops

I board surfed Jersey for many, many years and obviously spent a tremendous number of hours semi-immersed in the ocean. I never spent much time worrying about a shark attack. But when that thought did cross my mind, it wasn't a Great White, Mako, or Tiger I pictured, it was a Bull Shark. A White might nibble you to taste what exactly you are made of, and then it would probably spit it out and go rinse out its mouth. A Bull might be more likely to think you were pretty tasty, and return to indulge in some serious dining pleasure. They are also very fresh water tolerant, and will navigate far up rivers on occasion (there is a documented pod of Bull Sharks living above the dam in fresh water Lake Nicaragua). For those who are not aware, the rogue shark that was responsible for the notorious NJ attacks of 1916 that inspired the book and movie "Jaws" is now thought to have probably been a Bull.

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com

samiam

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 06:36:35 PM »

Nice information but the Navesink river in Rumson it not fresh water.  Living in the land of imagination ( and likely much party gonja too) the only thing missing from the story is what music he wanted played at his post-shark bite funeral.  LOL

So where is the official salt/fresh demarcation on the Navesink? I don't know the river, but a little web searching and map browsing suggested that it gets most of its fresh water from the Swimming River, which seems to join up somewhere around Red Bank. I know that on the Tuckahoe River, the demarcation (the old railroad bridge in Marshallville) is quite a bit further West of what I would consider to be the end of salinity (arcane knowledge gained when I was thinking of doing some turtle trapping). Seems to me that there is usually a flurry of "shark sightings" immediately following Discovery Channel's Shark Week, which pretty well describes the timing for this one...
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 11:20:14 AM »

The salinity is reduced west of the Route 35 bridge.  I'd imagine fresh by GSP.

I've actually taken that ride.  High tide is suggested. Smiley

So where is the official salt/fresh demarcation on the Navesink? I don't know the river, but a little web searching and map browsing suggested that it gets most of its fresh water from the Swimming River, which seems to join up somewhere around Red Bank. I know that on the Tuckahoe River, the demarcation (the old railroad bridge in Marshallville) is quite a bit further West of what I would consider to be the end of salinity (arcane knowledge gained when I was thinking of doing some turtle trapping). Seems to me that there is usually a flurry of "shark sightings" immediately following Discovery Channel's Shark Week, which pretty well describes the timing for this one...

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 01:43:47 PM »

They are also very fresh water tolerant, and will navigate far up rivers on occasion (there is a documented pod of Bull Sharks living above the dam in fresh water Lake Nicaragua).

Bull sharks stuck in a freshwater lake in Australia near Brisbane.  There was a flood...flood receded.  Sharks stayed.  The course feeds them to keep them alive as apparently they are an attraction now...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home