April 11, 2021, 12:52:59 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Shore Mid-Bay River 9/5/2020  (Read 493 times)
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2020, 09:09:10 PM »

I got to the ramp behind a boat that got to the best lay on the river IMHO.  So I ended up making a search for an alternate.  (The alternate I had Thursday had abruptly quit about 9:30am so I didn't want to start there.)  Pesky and I found an interesting spot near the marina and gave it a try.  It was not bad.  It was varying depths from dipper scraping bottom to 13'.  Mostly 3-4'  It was okay, best catch was in the shallower portions.  Had good large to medium ratio 1:2 .  Scooped up a large rotten catfish carcass. Worse, I picked up a big branch twice and ripped my new net, it needed sewing up with some cord.  I quit that spot about 10.

While picking my gear up, my motor blew a fuse (this has been randomly happening the last 5-6 times out, and I taped up a couple loose wires, but apparently that's not it.)  The glass fuse broke in the inline holder, so I could not fish it out and replace it.  I was in 18" of water, could not raise the motor or get off the shoreline for the wind (which had picked up a bit now) and skeg in dirt. My line along the shore line - the winder would not pull me away, and tossing an anchor and pulling wasn't working.  I ended up scrapping out the glass of the fuse and jamming a wire in there.  I got it going and just left the motor running the rest of the day.  

Moved gear to another spot across the river.  First run looked good, so put out the second line.  Ran them until a little past noon.  I pulled up and met a guy at a pier to drop off a few dozen large, then headed in.  Called another guy, told him he was covered for his crabs.  Got fuel for tomorrow and home about 2:45.  Cooked a bushel of crabs, and took a short rest.  Baited up one line for tomorrow.  Just too tired and do not have the energy to get both baited or even working both tomorrow.

Somehow all 4-5 other crabbers I spoke with provided nice breaks from the circuit of running the line, and no drama.

2400' necks, 79 degree water 1.8-13'.  Choppy water as the day progressed.  Air was very cold (dry) to start the day, needed a jacket and probably should have worn long pants early.
crabbymike17

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 09:16:01 PM »

Way to go Guy!!!  Great report.  Love the catfish carcass.  Almost sounds like a coil pack replacement from the spark to me.  Could be way off.  I never shut off my engine all day long for fear of it not restarting.  LOL.   laugh
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 10:54:15 AM »

nice report and catch thanks for the pictures

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »

Sounds like another fun day. I had a long day myself but it worked out at the end. Good luck today.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home