April 11, 2021, 12:42:50 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern shore mid bay river 09/05/2020  (Read 523 times)
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2020, 09:15:41 AM »

time Legal-10:30
Depth: 2-8
Water Temp 80-81
1200' baited with necks

It was a perfect day to be on the water!  Weather was gorgeous, clear, not too hot, and a nice breeze.  We had to choose our spot carefully because I knew the wind would be an issue as soon as I launched.  I found a nice cove that offered good protection and laid my line.  It was on from the start.  19 solid keepers on the first run, maybe 2 light throwbacks.  After that it slowed, but still averaged 7 per run which Iím good with.

We also tried my sons traps for the first time.  Now Iíve never run traps from a boat before so it was learn as we go.  Iíve got to give my son credit here, that kid was perfect.  I couldnít have asked for a better mate.  I just wish his traps would have caught 1 keeper, I know he was a bit disappointed, but he never showed it.  He did catch a few females and smalls, just no keepers.  Picture is him with his first (not legal) trap crab.

I also had something happen that was a first for me. I netted a doubler and luckily noticed the female was mature.  I knew immediately not to drop her in my bucket as she was probably soft.  I dropped her on the deck and told my some what to do so I could get back on the line.  She was indeed soft, so Iím glad she didnít go into the bucket with the rest.  Iíve never caught a doubler where the female was soft, so this was a new experience for me, and a great one for my son who hadnít encountered a soft crab before.  Iím curious from others is this is a common occurrence or what?  I guess I always thought they stopped feeding and ďhid outĒ until the female firmed up.  It was cool either way.

We ended up with 94 crabs and will be hitting that spot again on Monday to try for a repeat performance.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 09:29:34 AM by KC_Jones » Logged
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 10:47:37 AM »

I've caught soft with Jimmy before but it doesn't happen often.  Ya figure they carry em for about 2 weeks and one day for just a few hours out of those 2 weeks she's soft, so it can't happen too often that ya catch a softie.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 10:49:09 AM »

great catch report and pictures

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »

Nice job on the crabs.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home