October 01, 2020, 04:51:50 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chester River 09-15-20 TOWER of CRABS & a jury rigged roller  (Read 2029 times)
divedeeep

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2020, 10:23:27 PM »

Drove 50 miles for a perfect day of crabbing on my favorite place to crab, the Chester River....this would be my third trip there in the past 4 weeks.....made it there by 8:15 am....backed down to the water and prepped the boat for launch, pulled the my 9 top-less traps from the boat and asked my buddy to bait them up, pulled my 1200' trot line from the back of the truck and loaded it into the boat when I notice I had forgotten one of the most crucial pieces of equipment a trot-liner can't do without, my roller! I immediately thought our day was done before it even got started.   Then my McGyver skills kicked in and thought, what can I make or use as a temporary roller.  I keep a push pole on my boat that is about 8 feet long and had some large zip ties on the boat as well.  I thought..."this could work".  The push pole could be my stick for the line to traverse, now all I need is two small upright poles to keep the line in place.  Having no tools or a drill with me, all I could think of was big C-clamps....two large ones should do it.  But I didn't have any of those on the boat as they are attached to my roller which is 50 miles away.  So I sent my buddy off to the hardware store in Chestertown to buy the clamps and a piece of PVC to slide over my push pole.  While he was running to the store, I decided to run out into the river to lay the line and traps, this would save us a little time....got the line and traps it all laid out then went back to pick up my friend at the ramp and we worked on piecing together this new make shift roller.  We headed out to give it a go and the first few passes were a clusterfuck with our snoods and necks getting snagged onto the c clamps and on one pass the brass clips hooked onto a zip tie we used to help save the clamps should they fall off the pole into the water.  If we lost these clamps, our day would be done.  After a few adjustments we worked out the kinks and got it to work with few problems....then it was on like Donkey Kong....the monster Chester river mumbos started coming up to meet our nets.  Finished the day with a solid bushel of 46 high quality heavy crabs....19 of which were 7" plus and the biggest of 8 3/4".  Our 9 top less traps did well too.  Bait was necks on 1200' trot line in 6ft. to 8 ft of water on an outgoing tide.  We caught and released a lot of females.   All in all it was a pretty darn good day even with the bad start....I love this [shiz]!  Enjoy the pics!
SSKrabbyPatty
Supporting Member

Beware Mr.Krabs!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 04:55:25 AM »

Way to overcome! That's some real MacGyver stuff there. Excellent post that shows what hard work will get you. 2thumbsup
greenberg21

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 07:04:51 AM »

I say you "improvised, adapted, and overcame"!!!
Bucks101

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 09:31:24 AM »

Looks like it worked. I think the crabs finally made it to the lower chester😳.
Chopt

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 10:15:39 AM »

IMPRESSIVE!! That is thinking on your feet! Congrats on the haul.

Straw Hatter

A crab in the net is worth two in the water !

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 10:17:45 AM »

Good job on the crabbing and the improvising.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  I once lost my prop stick on the water and hung an oar over the side, it did the job  laugh 

SH
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 10:49:08 AM »

Good looking roller... Good idea and probably will work forever.   (Side note:   I love that you called it by it's CORRECT NAME..."Roller"  an argument me and my buddy have all the time)

I crab alone some but also crab with a buddy one day a week.   Was reading about you asking your buddy to bait up traps before you went out.   Several years ago we started baiting the traps while deploying them.  Throw the float in the water then bait trap while other guy drives boat.  Saves time and any trap line tangles.  This hint probably not good enough to be called a McGyver but still a time saver.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
JSear

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »

Nice catch. Way to over come and conquer.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 11:58:07 AM »

great catch

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Billycrab

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 01:50:32 PM »

Way to go.....never say die when you are on the banks of the Chester....great catch and that one is a monster!...thanks for the report

Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 06:12:55 PM »

Nice crabs!
Darien

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 09:11:25 PM »

very nice crab, that may be the rustiest shell I've ever seen
mark fix

mark eric fix 891fix

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 06:38:56 AM »

Those are some nice crabs!
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 04:14:59 PM »

Way to go Matt. Glad you got a bunch for all of your hard work.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 04:32:31 PM »

Went with a friend one day with a PVC guide.  I told him it would break.  "Aw no, I've been 5 or 6 times with it."  Well, he hooked the line the first time and set it on the pipe and it broke.  Had NOTHING on his 14' jon boat that would work.  We wound up with this...I've never had a line go over so smooth in all my life.  Crabs must have been thick too, we got 2 bushels, and plenty of stares.  It actually worked pretty well, until the sun hit it and it started to get crushed by the strap. 

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other

Srg158

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2020, 10:04:13 PM »

Awesome post!
divedeeep

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 10:12:32 PM »

Went with a friend one day with a PVC guide.  I told him it would break.  "Aw no, I've been 5 or 6 times with it."  Well, he hooked the line the first time and set it on the pipe and it broke.  Had NOTHING on his 14' jon boat that would work.  We wound up with this...I've never had a line go over so smooth in all my life.  Crabs must have been thick too, we got 2 bushels, and plenty of stares.  It actually worked pretty well, until the sun hit it and it started to get crushed by the strap. 

A trash can...would've never thought of that but can definitely see how that would work...that handle would be the key!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home