May 16, 2021, 03:00:18 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wye on 7/2  (Read 1525 times)
04ness

Im Feelin Crabby!

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2006, 12:46:35 AM »

OK heres the deal: I haven't been crabbing since I was a kid with my dad. we used to crab out of deale in the mid 70S. you could fill the boat with crabs in a few hours (handlining). I dont think there was any limit then..... any ways, I  have been reading this forum for a while and I had the urge to  try crabbing again. I bought 16 topless traps, a bag of chicken necks and headed out on the Wye. 

The deal is I'm in a 11' Jon boat with an electric motor.  I put in at the Bennett point landing about 7am. No one was there. (the benefit of a trailerless boat!) OK by that time there was comms and everyone else with t-lines and traps as far as I could see.

Traveled about about 1/2 mile towards the mouth, on the northwestern shore in front of some private piers. set traps and caught 4 in about 3 hours. Then I decided to move. Problem is it takes forever to get somewhere with electric.  people had traps and t-lines as far as I could see.  Finally got pissed off and pulled into a cove just north of the landing, anchored and started to handline.  Caught 1 and missed 2. need to practice my dipping skills! Moved to next cove and laid traps again. 1st run 0----2-3 run 0   got discouraged and decided to go home. pulled and secured traps. About 10th trap pulled 8" crab, surprised me!  that was it. 5 hours , 6 crabs. Although they were very good size.

OK I need help! IT takes me 1 1/2 hours to get to the Wye. I'M limited by my small boat w/ electric power. I'm putting in at the public landing at Bennet point. I cant go that far or move that fast.

I know some of you crab the Wye on a regular basis. heres what i need:   please help with locations and specifics. I cant compete with you due to my limited mobility. I want to bring my daughters out and teach them how to crab. I know you have " sweetspots" etc..  The Loyd's creek and Shaw bay areas that every one speaks of is out of range for me.

If anyone out there has anything to share about this area, I would more than appreciate it. I want to take the kids out and show them what its all about. 6 crabs just doesn't cut it!

If you don't wanna post, feel free to e-mail me [email protected]

Thankyou to all the crabbuddys on this forum. Ive learned so much over the past month or so.I would love to live closer to the bay, so I could enjoy it more often.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 01:00:52 PM »

GOOD luck, have a great day, have fun.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: