April 16, 2021, 04:06:00 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9-19-2020 a night to remember  (Read 935 times)
AX MAN

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2020, 08:31:14 AM »

Greetings from the AX MAN: Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Saturday night my daughter and I decided to give Essex one more try.  We arranged the car with the green beast stop for an evening of night time fun and nonstop excitement.  We set off at the end of the high tide around 7:30 PM and paddled to the mud flats of Thatch Bed Island.  By the time we reached out destination the low tide has not started and we had about 1.5 hours of the outgoing tide to do our crab hunting.  We started scooping crabs as soon as we arrived on the flats and didn't stop till the cooler was overflowing with crabs.  I was standing as usual as was my daughter on the green beast and with out high intensity head lamps on we were able to see to the bottom of about two feet of water.  With such a low draft on the beast we were able to maneuver around in less than four inches of water without bottoming out.  We were getting clusters of crabs in the same areas and we both were working the nets.  In about an hour and a half the largest cooler I have was half way full with some huge rusty and white swamp dogs.   shocked2 shocked2

We were greeted from ashore by a home owner who called us over to talk  gossip.  They told us that they have seen us there on numerous occasions and wanted to know how we were doing that evening and offered us a couple of beers for the evening which I refused because I wanted to remain sharp for the rest of the evening (I'm a cheap date unlike my years in the service).  They were surprised at the quality and quantity of our catch.  We spoke for awhile and then went back to the job at hand. 

There are two docks out on the mud flats, one is a built up small cabin structure, the second is a rectangular 12 foot by 8 foot dock.  As we were scanning the water near the rectangular dock we heard some fapp noises, and to our surprise we saw a cormorant drying their feathers on the dock.  As we got close and shined our light in it's direction it's large feet made a fapp fapp noise (like flip flops) on the dock which we both found  it quite amusing, each time we came in close proximity to the dock the duck made the same slow fapping walk to the other side of the dock.  After about three hours on the flats we had run out of space on the cooler and were hoping not to have any escape over the top and cause our feet and legs any problems so we headed back to the launch.  One crab was able to escape the steamer on the way back to the dock oops oops.  I separated the softies from the hard shells in a separate bag, I wish I had brought more of the heavy duty plastic canvas bags with us that evening as we would have probably filled them also.  We arrived back at the docks just before 10 PM and headed home to clean and process our catch.

When everything was cleaned, cooked and processed we had 102 crabs ranging in size from 5.75 to 8 inch.  We had 2 8 inch crabs and 6 softies included in the total.  We bagged the smaller crabs and flash froze them (6  one gallon bags)  The remainder we cooked, cleaned and bagged (7 more bags for a total of 16 one gallon bags of crabs.  I posted a photo on Facebook  DANIEL KLINE  with the picture of me in my blue shirt just in case you want to see that post and photo.  The following morning I was inundated by requests for crabs.  Several of my neighbors who have not been able to go out and enjoy the crabbing season because of illness and work conflicts were the first ones to get a bag or two of the cooked crabs. Two elderly friends are enjoying some bags of the flash frozen crabs as is my Asian co worker who trades with me for spring rolls, crab Rangoon, and Pad tai.  A special neighbor who is a retired school teacher is always first on my drop off list.  Please don't judge as I am a man who shares the bounty, and processes the crabs in a way that allows me to have crab well into the winter and spring season for myself and others.  Give a man a crab and he will eat for a day, teach them to crab and they won't go hungry, I have taught my son and daughter the finer skills of hand lining and scooping and they both look forward to our time on the water,

Observations:  There is a lot of crab hanky -panky still going on, as we had to separate numerous males from their much smaller captured females.  It gets cold later in the evening so wear appropriate clothing.  It ain't over yet!!!  We are going out one more time this weekend, and maybe one more time before the fat lady sings.  We havent even tried the southern side of the island yet, we may hit that this weekend. curtain
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:25:54 AM by AX MAN » Logged
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 10:14:15 AM »

GREAT report

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Crabholic

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 06:32:19 PM »

Wow thatís like 34 crabs an hour or one crab every 1.7 minutes. You must have landed on the motherload.
Horsin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 07:36:19 PM »

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

One of those trips to remember when you are old and grey yes yes yes
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 08:08:14 PM »

Congrats to the green beast family Wink Wink Shocked Shocked Shocked   TWO  EIGHTS ??  Shocked Shocked

mako20cc

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 09:07:37 AM »

No pics? If I got a 8incher. There would be pics.
AX MAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 11:38:41 AM »

I still have a brick phone that doesn't do too well with anything.  but i will try to get the catch on the site.  I'm going out solo this Friday or Saturday night, the daughter has an evening planned with the future son in law LOL

AX MAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 12:31:10 PM »

Can someone send me the instructions to post a photo??
MichaelD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 05:22:39 AM »

Hey Dan, when you write that book , I want an an autographed copy.  Smiley
AX MAN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 08:29:06 AM »

LOL, Will do Mike. I am going out this Friday evening hopefully

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: