June 19, 2021, 05:05:48 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cooking Crabs  (Read 3196 times)
xFishdogx

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2020, 08:41:25 AM »

So this weekend I cooked some crabs I cooked and as I was eating I felt like I was getting a taste of the menhaden.  Is thing anyone does before steaming?  Like do you set them in a cooler with water to let them filter out the smell?  I usually just wash them off really good.   Just curious on other methods
PDH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 05:53:02 PM »

Try putting some apple cider vinegar in the water in your steam pot. 
jp57

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 01:29:23 PM »

Or beer
xFishdogx

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 01:34:46 PM »

Just to clarify,  both you guys are steaming correct?  I was thinking about boiling them kinda like crawfish the next go around.
PDH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 03:37:10 PM »

I steam all my crabs in beer, vinegar, and a little water.  J.O. #2 on the crabs. 

jp57

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 09:11:40 AM »

I always steam them.
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 01:50:02 PM »

Just to clarify,  both you guys are steaming correct?  I was thinking about boiling them kinda like crawfish the next go around.

If you ever decide to boil some PM me and me and I'll talk you through my Louisiana process. 

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
xFishdogx

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 11:34:47 AM »

If you ever decide to boil some PM me and me and I'll talk you through my Louisiana process. 

Ronnie

That's something I want to try.  PM Sent
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 04:52:50 PM »

If you have 20 minutes to kill, check this out:

The dude puts maybe $30 worth of spices and liquids into a caldron to boil these crabs.  And you got to think they taste exactly like all that stuff.  Then the cool-down is another major production.

His cook times seem suspect to me as well.

Spoiler alert he cops out on picking a winner, but you must have guessed that as I did, as soon as it started.
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 06:20:15 PM »

Nice video but a lot was left out.

For starters I would NEVER  cook a crab that I'd haven't washed.  Those crabs were at the very most rinsed off.  You know they came straight off the boat, to the dock, shipped, delivered and he thrown right in the pot.  That means for the last 24-36 hours they have peed on themselves, bait residue and still have bay water residue on them. For those who watched me boil crabs at the WYE know what I'm talking about.

2nd those crabs have to be ICE COLD for at least 20 minutes before you throw them into boiling water.  If not the result will be shed claws and legs.

3rd boil time depends on the quality of the crabs.  If the crabs are light 5 minutes max with no soak time.  Anything over that will result in mushy crab meat.  I cook fat crabs around 8-10 minutes on a rolling boil and only let them soak for 2 minutes max.  I kinda do my soaking in reverse. I put the crabs in the pot of seasoning before I lite the burner.  This way they breath in the seasoning before they die, no shed claws.

4th seasoning.  It all depends on the consumer.  Liquid or powder boil, cayenne its all pepper.  I'm finding the less I use the sweeter the meat.  Onions garlic celery If that' s what you like go for it.  Corn potatoes sausage its all good.

However you cook them depends on how you like them.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll

shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 10:04:44 PM »

For starters I would NEVER  cook a crab that I'd haven't washed.  Those crabs were at the very most rinsed off.  You know they came straight off the boat, to the dock, shipped, delivered and he thrown right in the pot.  That means for the last 24-36 hours they have peed on themselves, bait residue and still have bay water residue on them. For those who watched me boil crabs at the WYE know what I'm talking about.

2nd those crabs have to be ICE COLD for at least 20 minutes before you throw them into boiling water.  If not the result will be shed claws and legs.

3rd boil time depends on the quality of the crabs.  If the crabs are light 5 minutes max with no soak time.  Anything over that will result in mushy crab meat.  I cook fat crabs around 8-10 minutes on a rolling boil and only let them soak for 2 minutes max.  I kinda do my soaking in reverse. I put the crabs in the pot of seasoning before I lite the burner.  This way they breath in the seasoning before they die, no shed claws.

4th seasoning.  It all depends on the consumer.  Liquid or powder boil, cayenne its all pepper.  I'm finding the less I use the sweeter the meat.  Onions garlic celery If that' s what you like go for it.  Corn potatoes sausage its all good.

Ronnie
My favorite part of this is the less is more on seasoning. The flavor of the crab is overwhelmed with too much hot. One last thing I’d add is don’t forget the mushrooms. My favorite part of the boils.

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 07:23:03 AM »

I go a little light on the premixed crab boil therefore I add more salt. I also boil my crabs the 8-10 minutes but soak them for 5 minutes.
Done Workin

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 05:51:34 PM »

I always steam using equal parts flattened beer, apple cider vineger and water. MUST be apple cider, not white vinegar. It gives them an undeniable sweeter flavor.

Took this recipe with me to West Lake, La Many moons ago and made it for a few locals and they all agreed much better than their normal boiled version.

Chris
Woodson

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 11:29:49 PM »

I ice my crabs to stun them and to retain the claws(mostly).  In their docile state I arrange them in my steamer and coat with diluted yellow mustard(1:1 ratio water or beer to yellow mustard).  Then I coat with JO #2.  Drop my “basket” in and wait for a “rolling” steam for a 25 minute timer regardless the amount of crabs.  Throw corn in with 10 min remaining.

For a bushel, my pot, I use a gallon of apple cider vinegar, one gallon of water and 1 beer(highly likely that is useless)
Woodson

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 11:39:01 PM »

Sorry my pics came out sideways....

Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 09:04:04 AM »

Those crabs are crazy well coated in this mix before cooking apparently.  They almost looked already cooked in that second picture, but for the blue claws.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 06:17:11 PM »

Ronnie

I'm sorry to say he made a believer out of me. "  I boasted on
   the forum , Seafood is supposed to be steamed not boiled. "
   Well at the 2017 Wye River Party Ronnie brought me some
   of his BOILED CRABS to eat and I must say they were really
   good -  sweet , firm and tender crab meat. I still like my
   steamed crabs , would I eat a CAJUN BOILED CRAB ?? You
   bet I would , youns cook em, boil em, or steam em I'll eat em .

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2020, 01:10:05 PM »

loved the  video

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print