March 05, 2021, 05:55:48 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer Size For ATV For Hunting  (Read 495 times)
lefty87

Doc says I've caught the CRAB FEVER

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2020, 08:03:17 AM »

Good morning my fellow hunting folks!

I just got an atv for hunting this year....a new to me quad I traveled to W VA for.  I am going to use it primarily for hauling deer out of the woods and for putting corn out.  With that, for those who use ones already, what size trailer do you use? I was looking at 5x8s and want to be sure that is large enough.

The atv I got is an Arctic Cat 400 TBX (has truck bed box).

Your input is appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 12:01:24 PM by lefty87 » Logged
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 09:15:36 AM »

I would think a 5X8 should work.  I have found the bigger the better esp if you have room to store it.  I would consider a 6X12 if you can afford it and you have room to store it.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 10:33:48 AM »

Weight limits should be a part of the decision. We used to sell Arctic Cat's.  They are not light..

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 11:40:56 AM »

Truck bed and a set of ramps?  I know four wheelers now a days are huge....don't know if it will fit or not. 

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
lefty87

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 01:20:45 PM »

I would think a 5X8 should work.  I have found the bigger the better esp if you have room to store it.  I would consider a 6X12 if you can afford it and you have room to store it.

I was wondering if anyone had used a 5x8 to trailer an atv and have room to add a deer or two on the trailer. I can keep gear in the bed/cab of truck.

lefty87

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 01:23:56 PM »

Weight limits should be a part of the decision. We used to sell Arctic Cat's.  They are not light..
you are not kidding...specs 721 pounds for my tbx version.

you work as an atv dealer?
lefty87

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 01:25:18 PM »

Truck bed and a set of ramps?  I know four wheelers now a days are huge....don't know if it will fit or not. 
I am trying to avoid that...I drove it from West Virginia to Delaware in the bed of my truck.....I got nervous watching my back window even though I had plywood in between.  haha  It rests back to the start of the tailgate when I have it in the bed of my truck.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 01:46:14 PM »

I was wondering if anyone had used a 5x8 to trailer an atv and have room to add a deer or two on the trailer. I can keep gear in the bed/cab of truck.

I had a 5x8 previously and yes it fit my ATV plus a deer.  I also made sure mine had 15" tires on it. 

I bought mine in FLA when my wife and I decided to buy a hot tub down there while on vacation a few years back.   Grin Grin Grin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 01:52:21 PM »

you are not kidding...specs 721 pounds for my tbx version.

you work as an atv dealer?
http://www.jackssmallengines.biz/  We have sold just about everything.  ATV were not profitable enough for the floor space they consume.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
lefty87

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 03:27:52 PM »

http://www.jackssmallengines.biz/  We have sold just about everything.  ATV were not profitable enough for the floor space they consume.
that makes sense...and so would you call yourself an arctic cat expert? i dont think there are any dealers here on the peninsula Cool

lefty87

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 03:28:41 PM »

I had a 5x8 previously and yes it fit my ATV plus a deer.  I also made sure mine had 15" tires on it. 

I bought mine in FLA when my wife and I decided to buy a hot tub down there while on vacation a few years back.   Grin Grin Grin
makes sense on tire size....the wear! that is good then. it makes me not so nervous looking at these 5x8's thinking id only regret it.
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Now the search begins!!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 06:19:25 PM »

Smiley

Now the search begins...
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 06:52:39 PM »

I am trying to avoid that...I drove it from West Virginia to Delaware in the bed of my truck.....I got nervous watching my back window even though I had plywood in between.  haha  It rests back to the start of the tailgate when I have it in the bed of my truck.

Was it strapped? 

Although it sounds like you decided a trailer is how you're going to go, personally for me I have too much stuff to keep up with and a trailer for me is one more thing to store and maintain.

But since we're talking about trailers, a 5x8 is small....basically a sheet of plywood and good for only hauling a four wheeler.  Maybe consider getting something larger that could be used for other things.  Plus, you'll get alot more friends...

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
lefty87

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 12:06:23 PM »

I did have it strapped. but still hitting the bumps on the interstate and roads had my eyes on it like an eagle.  Strapped down with shocks pushed down to keep it from lurching.

Thank you for the input. I agree, I think 5x8 may be small.  I got some real weird idea in my head about an enclosed trailer...where with hunting friends I can pack a little cooking stove, and maybe set up couple bunks with a heater for a nap or just kicking back and bs-ing around.  I went real off the edge with that one.

And with that kind of purchase I would be paying more than what I did for the atv haha
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 12:20:59 PM »

I did have it strapped. but still hitting the bumps on the interstate and roads had my eyes on it like an eagle.  Strapped down with shocks pushed down to keep it from lurching.

Thank you for the input. I agree, I think 5x8 may be small.  I got some real weird idea in my head about an enclosed trailer...where with hunting friends I can pack a little cooking stove, and maybe set up couple bunks with a heater for a nap or just kicking back and bs-ing around.  I went real off the edge with that one.

And with that kind of purchase I would be paying more than what I did for the atv haha

An enclosed trailer offers many more options.  I have a 6x12 enclosed that can put 2 - 250's in it along with other misc. items.  They are nice to get out of the weather when not in the woods along with a space to just bs in when the wind is whipping.  I also have a 26' enclosed that is over kill.  Wink

Gary S

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2020, 07:28:16 PM »

I have a 5'x10' aluminum trailer with 15" tires and the rear tailgate/ramp will lay flat on the floor when your empty or at least the back half is empty, I like it a lot.
lefty87

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 12:18:12 PM »

An enclosed trailer offers many more options.  I have a 6x12 enclosed that can put 2 - 250's in it along with other misc. items.  They are nice to get out of the weather when not in the woods along with a space to just bs in when the wind is whipping.  I also have a 26' enclosed that is over kill.  Wink
CrabbyD that sounds like a portable lodge you have! laugh
lefty87

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 12:20:45 PM »

I have a 5'x10' aluminum trailer with 15" tires and the rear tailgate/ramp will lay flat on the floor when your empty or at least the back half is empty, I like it a lot.

Gary, that is great to hear. I am going to purchase a 5x10 this week.

Ps for any of you atv folks....harbor freight has a sale on cargo carriers...so if you have a hitch you may want to check this out.  Also they are running a 20% of coupon this month too. So the carrier comes out to be $39
https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-capacity-atv-cargo-carrier-69858.html
lefty87

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 08:53:37 AM »

so I ended up getting a 5x10 big tex trailer.  they were priced the best around. I am pumped to do the whole atv thing and hunting.  I did put out 400 pounds of corn last week and shew having the machine made it easy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home