May 16, 2021, 10:58:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamed crab meat sticking  (Read 1503 times)
Mrfritz44

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2020, 03:46:06 PM »

Anyone have tips to keep the meat from sticking to the inside of the shell after steaming whole crabs?

My current routine is to use one of those old 70's black colored steamers,  bring water, apple cider vinegar, and beer to a boil,  and steam between 1 and 2 dozen crabs sprinkled with Old Bay or JO1 for 18-20 minutes.

Some claws open clean, but most stick like glue.

What am I doing wrong?

Fred
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 07:21:37 PM »

It all sounds about right.  I don't think anyone is going to say, that you cooked them too long.
bassman349

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 02:18:30 PM »

Not sure if there is such a thing as cooking them too hot. I know that the kick butt burner that I use gets cut back once I have good steam poofing from under the lid,  I reduce the heat just to maintain that steady supply of steam for 20 min.  If I left it run wide open the whole time, I would be afraid of setting my crabs on fire.  laugh
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 09:18:13 PM »

Ya the only thing I could think was maybe the heat is to high? Get steam rolling pretty good then cut back the heat. Might have to steam a little bit longer in the lower heat.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Mrfritz44

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 07:40:20 PM »

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I cooked another batch tonight, 19 minutes, but i turned the heat down to medium after the water boiled. Best batch in a while.

Thanks again!

Fred

binky

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 05:06:24 PM »

some time crabs are full no water in the claws the meat will stick
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 10:59:48 AM »

Not sure if there is such a thing as cooking them too hot. I know that the kick butt burner that I use gets cut back once I have good steam poofing from under the lid,  I reduce the heat just to maintain that steady supply of steam for 20 min.  If I left it run wide open the whole time, I would be afraid of setting my crabs on fire.  laugh

Couple years ago we were having a crabfeast and had a bunch of people over.  Cooked first pot and then refilled pot about 1/2 full with crabs and some sweetcorn in husks on top of crabs in second steaming.  Went and ate crabs from first pot with friends on deck at other end of house and forgot to reduce heat on second pot.  When I smelled it bout 15 minutes later it had run out of liquid and was a horrible mess.  Smoke was billowing out of pot and corn was just at the edge of lighting with flames.  After the party I spent over 2 hours with steel wool and wire wheel on drill trying to get burn stain out of my stainless pot.  To this day there is still a permanent stain inside pot above where burner sits.  I steam just inside garage with doors open. It took several days to get that burn smell out of my garage.   I consider myself lucky that I didn't set garage on fire that day.   
YEP, definitely wanna turn the heat down once they get steaming.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 06:05:45 PM »

Mr Fritz

I am going to give you some of the very best advice that I can , but first let me tell you that I am relaying this information from another member.  I am an old blown out crabber , Fisherman, and hunter. that is still learning. I followed this members advice and to my amazement he has the answers to your sticking problem. I along with hundreds of crabbers have been steaming crabs all wrong , well not really.  Try this the very next time that you catch some crabs. Ice them down just before you are going to steam them, this will numb them and you can handle them with ease. make sure your steam pot is boiling, now stack your crabs up-side-down in your steamer sprinkle them with you seasoning put the lid on top and steam them no more than 18 to 20 minutes. When you take those crabs out of the steamer keep them up-side-down. when you remove the top shell you will find a much cleaner crab to deal with, the crab meat will come out of the crab moist and very tasteful. This guy made a believer out of me for sure . If you are going to put some of those crabs in the frig , keep them up - side - down , try it you might like it. I was blown away of the difference in the taste of these up-side-down crabs , THANK YOU ED it worked for me !

BGFISHHOOK1
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 12:27:25 AM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 02:23:17 PM »

Thanks for sharing that Bob and that you agree. I won't steam my crabs top shell up anymore. Upside = cleaner meat, more tender meat, less to no sticking of meat to the shell and in my opinion, more flavor.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 12:23:17 AM »

Thanks for sharing that Bob and that you agree. I won't steam my crabs top shell up anymore. Upside = cleaner meat, more tender meat, less to no sticking of meat to the shell and in my opinion, more flavor.
    I owe it all to you my friend . You made a believer out of me for sure , thanks ED

BGFISHHOOK1   AKA  Bobby G

Get it on !

tom on the rocks

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 10:42:06 AM »

the last 2 pots of crabs of the year we steamed up side down per "discovery" your suggestion. and everyone that ate agreed, that it is the way to go.it takes no more effort to do them this way and the results are as said before are more tasty never dry! seasoning goes into the crab and not off of the top of the shell to the bottom of the cooker. I am saying that they basically steam in their own juicy flavoring, just my opinion. give it a try. so thanks discovery for sharing with us! idea2   
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 01:44:37 PM »

does steaming upside down make them wet inside? do they come out like boiled crabs which for my taste are too wet.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 05:15:21 PM »

STEVE :

To answer your question my answer would be " no " they do not come out like boiled crabs wet inside. I have only done 3 bushels so far  but I find that for some reason the steam kills the crab differently up - side - down from the conventional way that I have been steaming them Shell - side - up for over 50 years. Numbing them in ice will slow the process of cooking the Crab Meat. I did find that a 18 to 20 minute steaming is all that is needed , but only put them critters in your steamer when it is boiling your liquid mixture and turn your steamer back after 10 to 12 minutes of hard steam. I know it seems strange but I found the U S D method to be the best way to steam crabs, you can thank DISCOVER  " ED " for that he was the one that tried it and as far as I am concerned mine will be U S D from now on.

Bobby G   AKA    BGFISHHOOK1

P.S. Try a few first STEVE to see if you like it this way. Maybe it isn't for everyone.

Get it on !
SaltyMountainMan

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2021, 06:04:50 PM »

I just want to say Thank You. I have never intentionally steamed crabs upside down, but the theory sounds right. Not a theory to you guys and gals that steam this way. Must be fact to you. I will definitely be trying this, this coming season.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 11:34:41 AM »

Bob, the next bu I steam will be half USD and half the SSU and I will see how this works and my family and friends can judge also. thx.

bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2021, 04:49:32 PM »

Bob, the next bu I steam will be half USD and half the SSU and I will see how this works and my family and friends can judge also. thx.
  When we steamed the first crabs USD we were amazed of the difference in the taste and overall texture of the Crab Meat. When you do them Steve please let us know how they turned out. The only thing that was different is the crabs were iced down so they were easy to stack them USD in the steamer. This idea is ED'S  " DISCOVER " he tried it last fall and we tried it right after hearing about it . It worked for us . Just remember to turn the flame down after 10 to 12 minutes they will still be getting steam, just not as much .

Bobby G   BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2021, 03:14:08 PM »

the last 2 pots of crabs of the year we steamed up side down per "discovery" your suggestion. and everyone that ate agreed, that it is the way to go.it takes no more effort to do them this way and the results are as said before are more tasty never dry! seasoning goes into the crab and not off of the top of the shell to the bottom of the cooker. I am saying that they basically steam in their own juicy flavoring, just my opinion. give it a try. so thanks discovery for sharing with us! idea2   

Glad you tried them this way and you are welcome. I have done four batches of crabs this way and all were consistent in what you describe. Hope more crabbers give this a try and let me know their thoughts.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2021, 03:19:12 PM »

does steaming upside down make them wet inside? do they come out like boiled crabs which for my taste are too wet.

I have to say they are not wet like boiled crabs. The meat comes out very tender but still firm and much cleaner as all of the mustard falls away from the meat as it cooks leaving cleaner meat and just as much, or more flavor. Plus, the juice that sits in the shell after cooking is amazing. Another plus is the meat pulls away from the shells better, especially in the legs and claws, even after days in the fridge.

Give it a try, I am sure you will like them. One more tip, in your liquid in the bottom of the pot, add some JO or Oldbay to that liquid as it will add more flavor when they steam.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2021, 03:20:20 PM »

Can't wait to hear how you and your family like them this way.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2021, 05:45:03 PM »

STEVE
   I am hoping that we can get together at my house and steam a bushel of your crabs I'll supply everything even the hooch and Bourbon just bring the crabs and we will have some fun for sure. Let me know if this suits you .

Bobby G & his BRIDE Arlene

Get it on !

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home