April 15, 2021, 08:37:04 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crab meat  (Read 533 times)
ranger521
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2020, 07:23:31 PM »

i bought a lbs of crabmeat at grocery store and it was called lump but it looked a bit ground up. i made crab cakes and it wasnt that good in fact we are thinking of trashing the last two.  it definitly was not the ones we make after catching them and picking them down.  the meat was almpst fishy too.  it said maryland crabmeat on the tub.  anybody have a favorite type of crabmeat they buy whos the best out there.
ranger521
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 07:37:42 PM »

looked at the container and it says baltimore crab company jessup maryland.  but now I look on the website and it says we only use red swimming crab from china.  so what gives here.  and on the package it does say blue swimming crab product of usa.  but i gotta tell you that meat was pretty bad looking. 
Razorback_713

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 07:48:24 PM »

looked at the container and it says baltimore crab company jessup maryland.  but now I look on the website and it says we only use red swimming crab from china.  so what gives here.  and on the package it does say blue swimming crab product of usa.  but i gotta tell you that meat was pretty bad looking. 

Probably packaged in US.....Chinese seafood is nasty.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 09:26:33 PM »

Yuk!
rj

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 12:16:26 AM »

you got misled by a label that stated "Baltimore crab company," which led you & many others into believing that the can contained a real local product. If the label said "Chinese Crabmeat" instead of Baltimore Crab Company in large, eye catching print, would you have purchased it?    I am going to say probably not!  next time be sure & read the fine print before you buy.  especially pasteurized products, most of them are imported  lips2

bassman349

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 06:03:57 AM »

That type of deception is so bad these days that we can't even trust the label on the package anymore. Something like that should warrant an investigation by the State Attorney General's office.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »

I recall they locked up a few in VA for running a packing house that pulled that scam awhile back. 
ranger521
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 08:36:32 PM »

The package says product of usa dont say anything about china anywhere,
rj

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 09:04:21 PM »

if it is sold in Maryland. the country of origin has to be on the container somewhere, I have never seen a pasteurized container without the country of origin on the container. yes  it is a product of Maryland but it is only packed here , it is not chesapeake bay blue crab, it is not caught here , most is from overseas, mostly aisan countries

from the Maryland state regulations,
 J. A container of crab meat containing crab meat picked from a crab, packed, repacked, or processed outside of the United States:

(1) Is marked with the words "This product contains crab meat from (name of country of origin)"; and

(2) The marking required in žJ(1) of this regulation is prominently displayed in letters not smaller than 12-point type on the principal display panel;

K. A container of crab meat containing crab meat picked from a crab other than a "blue crab" (C. sapidus) is marked with the common name and scientific name of the crab picked into the container;

http://mdrules.elaws.us/comar/10.15.02.14
rj

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 09:12:20 PM »

I recall they locked up a few in VA for running a packing house that pulled that scam awhile back.  

https://www.shorenewsnetwork.com/2020/09/08/on-the-east-coast-blue-crab-is-big-business-feds-cracking-down-on-imitations

North Carolina also,,Crabmeat is a valuable commodity.

http://compassnews360.com/crab-meat-valued-at-more-than-4-million-falsely-labeled/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home