November 28, 2021, 09:02:48 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you keep your carbs cold/alive for the next day?  (Read 4164 times)
JustEric

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2021, 04:22:30 PM »

When I go crabbing I put my crabs in a big cooler and put ice on top of them.  The cooler has a raised bottom so the crabs are not sitting in water.  I usually cook the crabs within 6 hours of putting them in the cooler with ice. 

My question is how to I keep crabs alive if I want to cook them the next day?  What if I want to take them on a 7 hour trip to my family in another state? 

I know professionals keep their crabs in refrigeration trucks and or on site refrigerators.  Are their any good refrigeration options for keeping crabs alive at home?  My outside fridge is to small to hold bushel baskets. 

Thanks Crabbers!
Eric
lucecreek crabber

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 09:21:38 AM »

Big cooler, water filled plastic bottle frozen on the bottom and cover with old towels.  Add crabs and cover with wet towels. I have had good 36 hour success with this.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 11:41:26 AM »

I keep my walkin cooler between 50 and 55 degrees and can keep the 3 days or so keeping wet burlap over the baskets. for deer season I switch to 35 to 40 to age venison with hide on.
JustEric

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 01:19:40 PM »

Big cooler, water filled plastic bottle frozen on the bottom and cover with old towels.  Add crabs and cover with wet towels. I have had good 36 hour success with this.

Do you leave the top of the cooler a open a little bit?  Someone told me that you shouldn't keep them in coolers for long and to put them in bushel baskets instead. I am glad to hear that keeping them in the cooler will work. 

Thanks!
JustEric

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 01:20:43 PM »

I keep my walkin cooler between 50 and 55 degrees and can keep the 3 days or so keeping wet burlap over the baskets. for deer season I switch to 35 to 40 to age venison with hide on.

A walk in cooler would be a great solution.  Any suggestions on where to get one at an affordable price?

Thanks!

shtoong
Supporting Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 01:41:14 PM »

Right now I use an old milk refrigerator and plug it in to an inkbird temperature controller. I keep the temp set at 55 degrees. I can put two bushels in it and hold them for 24 hours with very little loss. I'm pretty sure they would go a little longer. I just haven't had the need to do so. I used to use an old glass door beverage refrigerator which could be set at 50-55 degrees. This worked great and would hold 2 bushels and beverages no problem. I you have the room for one of these and can find a good price this is the way to go.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 05:33:44 PM »

A walk in cooler would be a great solution.  Any suggestions on where to get one at an affordable price?

Thanks!

You could do what the infamous Jake Phelps did!

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 10:41:46 PM »

Iíve thrown crabs on ice overnight and they all died. I cleaned then cooked them the next day with no problems. Ate every one of them myself.

Crab on!
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 03:32:25 PM »

Iíve thrown crabs on ice overnight and they all died. I cleaned then cooked them the next day with no problems. Ate every one of them myself.

I had a different outcome, half of them developed a mushy taste after being iced down overnight. Had the same outcome after cleaning them, removing shell and innards, and storing them in refrigerator overnight.
When I keep crabs overnight, i keep them in a cooler with frozen sealed plastic jug of water with cooler lid opened slightly and drain plug open and use wet towels over the top of them.
Crabs can live a long time out of the water if not crowded. Had one that escaped from basket in garage that tried to ambush me a week later from his hiding place behind car wheel.

Say brother....can you spare a crab...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home