March 06, 2021, 06:51:10 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icy Start - Western Shore Mid-Bay River 10/31/2020  (Read 2075 times)
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2020, 08:14:45 AM »

I thought the power door locks were not working, but after a few ups and downs realized the doors were just ice frozen shut.  And the gunnel was covered in ice where the bait can about slid off the side. Regardless of the cold, as usual, Pesky was very eager to go.  Got to the water about sunrise and the ramp water temp was 53!  Set 1200' of clams in 22-23' of 60 degree water in the river channel.  This portion of the river had many boats and many more lines every where.    After wasting my time trying to get the line tight, wearing my shoulders out lifting line anchor weights.  Got too few crabs (lot of smalls) after a few hours I bailed on that spot.  Word was others weren't setting the river on fire either.  Moved a few miles away and had much better results back down in 14-19' of water.  Stayed at it the full day and got a few baskets.  I was going back Sunday but too worn out to bait my second line for the trip and the late morning weather forecast wasn't great.  But as I write this looking outside the day looks great and I should be out there.  Sad   Then the wind is supposed to blow the next couple days.  Customer plans for crabs Nov 3 have fallen by the wayside.  The ten day forecast looks okay and next weekend is a possibility, but my days are numbered for this season.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 11:08:50 AM by Stabilizer » Logged
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 10:45:01 AM »

Well done, thanks for the report.  I was in an Eastern shore river and did fairly well at 16.  It was a cold morning, the tailgate on my truck was frozen to the tonneau cover.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 02:09:02 PM »

Ah yes now that is what I'm talkin about ! Great report
   and great pictures too. Thanks Guy for an adventure into
   the workings of a serious CRABBER. I always look forward
   to your reports, keep Em coming partner. Oh yeah I'll take
   a dozen of them !  LOL Boy that SOOK is really loaded with eggs !

BGFISHHOOK1
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 02:22:31 PM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
mark fix

mark eric fix 891fix

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 05:06:34 PM »

Thanks for the report i may make it down once more with the boat. Want to try the choptank. Nict to see they are still around.Hope to have a god warm november!
Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 08:39:31 AM »

Quick tip to save your arms when tightening lines.  Clip a 2nd rope up to a small buoy on each weight.  This floats up directly above your weight.   I also add a loop about a foot away from the buoy.  When I need to tighten the line, just go to the little buoy and throw the loop over your back cleat and use the boat to pull tight. 

At the end of the day I also use my winder to pull up my weights.  Of course I do have a boom on my winder and it is hydraulic.   The heaviest thing I pick up any more is a bushel of crabs. Grin

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 11:49:27 AM »

WTG

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 03:32:25 PM »

Quick tip to save your arms when tightening lines.  Clip a 2nd rope up to a small buoy on each weight.  This floats up directly above your weight.   I also add a loop about a foot away from the buoy.  When I need to tighten the line, just go to the little buoy and throw the loop over your back cleat and use the boat to pull tight. 

At the end of the day I also use my winder to pull up my weights.  Of course I do have a boom on my winder and it is hydraulic.   The heaviest thing I pick up any more is a bushel of crabs. Grin
I like that 2nd rope/float idea on the weight. I've also hear (and plan to try) a Danforth on one end (running away from it.)  You know its not usually a problem most of the time/most of the year.  But when its a problem, its a problem!
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 03:33:33 PM »

I like that 2nd rope/float idea on the weight. I've also hear (and plan to try) a Danforth on one end (running away from it.)  You know its not usually a problem most of the time/most of the year.  But when its a problem, its a problem!
I used to use a Danforth anchor on the start end , when I ran a trot line many, many years ago. When you buy one guy it don't have to be a big one because they dig in deep to hold your line taught. The idea of the little buoy at the anchor end is a good idea in that it will aid you when pulling the anchor free when moving or quitting for the day. Look on Craigslist in your area they  are always found there , good luck.

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 10:43:20 AM »

Glad you found them. I hope to get out this week with the nice weather if I can fix my brand new motor.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 11:01:12 AM »

Glad you found them. I hope to get out this week with the nice weather if I can fix my brand new motor.

Indoe

What's wrong with your brand new motor?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 04:23:57 PM »

Indoe

What's wrong with your brand new motor?

I fixed it. I got oil in where my spark plug is. I had it laying in my truck. I went to go crabbing Saturday and had to come home since I did not know why the rope would not pull. Figured it out and works fine now. Hoping they are still in the middle bay or I will have to go further south.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 07:17:04 AM »

I fixed it. I got oil in where my spark plug is. I had it laying in my truck. I went to go crabbing Saturday and had to come home since I did not know why the rope would not pull. Figured it out and works fine now. Hoping they are still in the middle bay or I will have to go further south.

Glad you could get it going again and it was a minor fix.  Sounds like a learning curve.

Good luck on your next trip out

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 05:31:25 PM »

So this morning, I rigged line just as you described, at it worked just fantastically.  The tip is very much appreciated.
Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 08:16:48 AM »

Not a problem.  I'm glad it worked well with you.  Back when I used mushroom anchors in my skiff, it was no big deal.   Once I was in my workboat and had 50lb of chain weighs on each end, this made a huge difference.

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home