December 02, 2020, 02:11:14 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trotline winder size question - 10" vs 12" disks  (Read 225 times)
polarkraft

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2020, 05:35:44 PM »

Trying to narrow down my search for a trotline winder and wanted to know what the advantages and disadvantages of 10" vs 12" hauler disks? I thought that I heard or read somewhere that one size might be better for clam bags. Any opinions or preferences would be appreciated!

In my case it would be an electric winder (1/2HP) and I run good 3 strand soft lay with 1/4" snoods with a few 3/16" snoods mixed in, 1200' lines, and clams for at least half the season... if it matters.

Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 05:38:36 PM »

I think all things being equal, the 12" is faster, while the 10" is stronger.  Either should retrieve what you described without any issues.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 05:59:54 PM »

10 is plenty

Git 'r dun!
polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 08:39:52 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. With that said I will likely go with a 10" disk to save some weight in the disks, body, knife and hub.

On another note, are there any recommendations on any of the dimensions in the attached picture? There are lots of variations between locally manufactured winders, custom made and home made winders. Some have a long entrance ramp (yellow line) with a flap, some have a flap and no ramp and some have nothing at all. Some have a wide gap (12") between the body wall and disks (blue line), some at 6 inches and others in the 2-4 inch range, also on the exit side of the disk (red line) what is the ideal dimension for that?

rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 07:05:09 AM »

a 10 in disk usually leaves more room for the clam bags to go through without beating up your clams too bad.

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 09:32:47 AM »

The larger the disk the faster it comes in. Might as well go with a 14 or 17 so you can pull the line in on plane.   Grin

As far as the picture you posted, Id make that part a few inches longer then your drops, so they are laying flat before being fed through the winder

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
rj

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 10:09:04 AM »

originally most trotline winders were 12" disks, however when people started using clams & the rays came, people started putting Pipe in bags, they found that there was not enough clearance between the disks & the side of the tray  (the red & the blue in your photo) to allow the bags with pipe to pass through.  in some instances we cut the tray apart & added to it to make it big enough to allow the bags with pipe to pass through it.  others changed to 10" disks, which also allowed enough clearance for the bag with pipe to pass.  take a clam bag  put a short piece about 1" long, of 2" pvc pipe in it & check for clearance between the disks & the side of the winder.   my winders now have 4" of clearance between the edge of the disks & the side of the winder.  this allows plenty of room for the Bag/pipe to pass through.  the distance  from the disks to the end of the winder (the yellow line) is 8". Performance wise, I see little difference between our 10" & 12" winders, they both work well!   once you get one you will not leave home without it!  If my winder is not working I'm not going!!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 10:32:44 AM by rj » Logged
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 12:43:14 PM »

So size DOES matter!      laugh laugh

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 02:06:58 PM »

The larger the disk the faster it comes in. Might as well go with a 14 or 17 so you can pull the line in on plane.   Grin

As far as the picture you posted, Id make that part a few inches longer then your drops, so they are laying flat before being fed through the winder

Thanks Mr. Ray! That makes good sense...
polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 02:10:53 PM »

originally most trotline winders were 12" disks, however when people started using clams & the rays came, people started putting Pipe in bags, they found that there was not enough clearance between the disks & the side of the tray  (the red & the blue in your photo) to allow the bags with pipe to pass through.  in some instances we cut the tray apart & added to it to make it big enough to allow the bags with pipe to pass through it.  others changed to 10" disks, which also allowed enough clearance for the bag with pipe to pass.  take a clam bag  put a short piece about 1" long, of 2" pvc pipe in it & check for clearance between the disks & the side of the winder.   my winders now have 4" of clearance between the edge of the disks & the side of the winder.  this allows plenty of room for the Bag/pipe to pass through.  the distance  from the disks to the end of the winder (the yellow line) is 8". Performance wise, I see little difference between our 10" & 12" winders, they both work well!   once you get one you will not leave home without it!  If my winder is not working I'm not going!!

Thanks RJ for the detailed response, just the kind of info and experience I was looking for! I will be sure to post some pics when I get closer to the assembly process.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home