March 03, 2021, 12:25:51 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern shore mid bay river 11/07/2020  (Read 731 times)
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2020, 08:45:19 AM »

Time: 8:00-1:00
Depth: 16
Water Temp 55-57
1200' baited with necks

This was my last trip out for the year and what a trip it was.  We got out a bit late as the fog really thick and I wanted some light to have any chance to see...something.  We headed out to the spot we were last week, but since there was no wind I could lay right down the deepest part of the river at 16í.  It started a bit slow with only 7 on the first run, but it picked up after that, the crabs are moving slow.  At the end we had a 10 crab per run average.

I had to use the GPS to find my line on each run, the fog persisted until about 10 AM.  Right as the fog was clearing I saw something Iíve never seen and didnít even know it was a thing, a fog rainbow.  This was one of those times I was really glad my phone has a camera.  It was an incredible sight to behold.  Once the fog cleared it was a perfect day, barely any wind, clear skies and just warm enough to be comfortable in short sleeves.  This was the nicest weather Iíve had all year, the bay gave my season a beautiful goodbye.

Now...a note on a$$hole boaters.  Since it was so nice there was a ton of boat traffic, and most of it I could deal with, I donít own the river.  That said I had one incident that was downright dangerous and is the first time I ever flipped someone off and was screaming like a mad man.  We are running the line, my son is netting Iím driving.  A larger boat is coming at us, parallel course, opposite direction.  So Iím watching him coming at my bow, thinking heís going to veer, closer and closer.  Suddenly I realize weíve got a problem, I get the net from my son and flip the line off so I can maneuver.  Now he didnít run me down, but Iíd say he was 30í from me when he passed, at speed, plowing a MASSIVE wake.  I spun the boat so I took it in the bow which was almost going under.  Iím reasonable sure if I had taken his wake broadside, at that range, we would have swamped.  I was dumbfounded.  Whether I was crabbing or not, what that person did was irresponsible.  I just donít understand people.

In the end we caught 135 crabs and had a great day on the water.  This was the last trip for my current boat, it is now for sale.  She will be missed as it is my first boat, but Iím happy for the upgrade.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 09:13:31 AM »

Awesome end to your season for sure.  Great picture of the fog bow.  The sun and fog caused a period where you could see one direction for miles and very very little in the opposite direction.  I'm not sure why so many cabin cruiser owners prefer trim angles that promote high fuel consumption and wake.  But they sure do.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 01:41:54 PM by Stabilizer » Logged
U812OHNO
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 12:51:23 PM »

That's two days in a row then for that fog rainbow.  Saw one on Friday too.  Pretty darn cool.
Mrsofty

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 03:13:40 PM »

Nice report. I think there are too many boaters using auto pilot out there.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 03:39:58 PM »

nice catch and pictures

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: