April 19, 2021, 09:02:15 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11/07/20 Wye - I couldn't quit just yet  (Read 1388 times)
shtoong
Supporting Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2020, 02:42:38 PM »

With the nice weather report I decided to plan a trip to Schnaitman's. My regular crabbing buddy was busy so I talked my brother into going. The fog was thick as molasses. Luckily our phones were working for navigation. We set out with the rental and our 9.5 hp Evinrude at 8 a.m. Doing 5.5 mph we couldn't get to far. We used a map to pick what we thought were 12 to14 feet of water. We had 20 ring traps baited with chicken neck. Water felt pretty cool. I would guess 55 or so. Dropped 20 ran three times with no results. We moved 10 just a small way across from where we were and still nothing. We then took all 20 to a spot I have caught before. It was about a 20 minute ride. Got out all twenty again in around 14 feet. 4 pulls and not a single crab. A boat was in a couple hundred feet from us with 1200 ft and neck. They were pulling up and leaving. I thought maybe they had busheled out it was around 10:30. They passed us saying they only had one crab. Another boat just up river from us had 1200 with neck. They had 20. the fog was just burning off at 11:30 We decided to head back in and throw closer to Schnaitman's as our gas was getting low. Dropped in same depth and some a little deeper. We caught 7 small and two just legal heavy crabs. Not enough to take so they went back for another time. our crabbing ended at 2:30. This will truly be my last trip. It was a great day on the water with my bro.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 05:04:01 PM by shtoong » Logged
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 04:37:56 PM »

thanks for the report and great pictures

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
mark fix

mark eric fix 891fix

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 04:49:35 PM »

Thanks for the report! I had a crabbing trip like that once or twice!
Redbone

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 09:53:10 PM »

Itís over
crawdog

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 12:30:59 AM »

Itís over
[/quote.  It isnít over yet, we have just been running deeper 12-18í is the ticket. 1 1/2 baskets yesterday. Just need to adapt. I want to catch crabs on thanksgiving

jgar529

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 06:18:53 AM »

Itís over
Went to my usual spot with 1200' with necks and made 2 passes and caught 2 crabs.  They were gone there.  Packed up and went to another spot about 25 miles from there and managed to catch 2 bushels of barely legal crabs.  Threw back a lot of smalls but it was so beautiful out.  No wind and 72 degrees that I toughed it out.  I am done for the season.  Caught enough for winter.

Thats what I'm talkin' bout!
Newcrabmandan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 07:20:37 AM »

You ain't kidding when you say that fog was thick as molasses! It was like a scene from a spooky movie! The only time I've ever seen fog that thick was in Garrett County.

Me and my father got to the ramp around 7:30ish and also had to use our phones for navigation. Surface water temp was 53 degrees. Since it was only our second time at the Wye, we decided to go to the area we crabbed the last time we were there. We set a 600' line of necks in about 18-23 feet of water. We could only see about 30 yards in front of us so I didn't have a land marker to keep a straight line. We just started boating this July and using the boats compass to keep straight was a challenge.

From the first run until the fog started to rise, we managed about 2 dozen with around 14 keepers. Once the fog cleared we had another boat come up to us to ask us how we were doing. I'm guessing by the prop stick that they were running a trotline. We told 'em what we caught and he said he only had one crab and gave it to us. Maybe those were the guys you talked to? It was a good one, bigger than all we had caught so far.

Shortly after that, we picked up and moved. We stopped and asked a couple guys how they were doing so far as they pulled up an empty ring net. They said zero. Maybe that was you and your brother? We were sitting in about 15 feet of water while talking.

Anyway, by the time we made the next lay the sun was up and everything was bright and clear. We laid the line 15-22 feet. Surface water temp was 56 degrees at this point. We were catching 3-5 keepers per pass until the spot died off. Most of the crabs on that lay were in 17 feet of water.

We moved again at around 145pm and set in 15-26 feet of water. By this time the surface water temp had climbed to 58 degrees and ended up staying there for the rest of the day. We were catching 7-13 crabs per run with 25' being the sweet spot.

It seems like the warmer the water got, the more crabs we were catching. I told my father we should have slept in and waited for things to warm up! We pulled the line in right at closing time and had about 5 crabs short of a bushel.

We had about 4 crabs at the 7'' mark, maybe 18 over the 6'' mark and a majority of the rest seemed to be 5 1/4 - 5 1/2. We were doing lots of measuring but the crabs were full of meat and bright yellow mustard.

I'm glad we decided to get out one last time and can't wait for next year!
shtoong
Supporting Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 01:19:00 PM »

Newcrabman,
    That was us. We talked to the guys with one crab too. They showed us a pretty big crab. We forged on until the gas was light. Not a single crab until we headed closer in. Glad you got on them. I trotted most of the season on another River but pulled the boat and gear out for the season. The rental with 20  rings wasn't cutting it. I thought for sure with the cold clear water crabs would be dropping off by now. Anyway I'll keep this in mind for next year.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home