March 03, 2021, 03:52:16 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NOVEMBER 7 - CRISFIELD AREA  (Read 1294 times)
charlietuna

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2020, 12:25:36 PM »

Less about the crabbing report and more about the phenomenon.  I'll get the crabbing report over first - Crabbed at the outgoing to beginning of incoming.  6 - 8 ft with traps, water at 56 degrees when I started.  Sad news is that I ended up with only 25 crabs from barely 5 1/4" to a little over 6".  The problem wasn't availability, it was lack of current...almost none for 5 hours.  When current finally did decide to come in, it was slow to none.  Must have been the middle of the lunar cycle.  I'm quite certain I could have had a half bushel or more if there was a little push from the current.

Now the cool part: someone else posted a "fog rainbow".  I had a fog wormhole.  Could look straight up and see blue sky.  Fifty feet away, couldn't see jack squat.  Check out the image, it's not out of focus.

Second cool part: I hear huge splashing noises very near my boat, and then the appearance of a huge pod of porpoise.  I'm 75 miles from the mouth of the Chesapeake.  Really cool.  There are plenty of brown pelicans and cow-nosed rays around, but this is the first time I have seen porpoises / dolphins this far up the bay, especially with the water temps being so cool. 
shtoong
Supporting Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 12:59:56 PM »

Yeah I saw the same kind of fog rainbow on the Wye. I didn't think to try and take a pic. The tide current there was pretty slack as well. Very strange.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 01:13:07 PM by shtoong » Logged
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 01:57:32 PM »

nice

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Derwood

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 02:59:59 PM »

Very cool. I was there at Jane's island dock crabbing. Maybe we saw each other...maybe not through the fog. I was also waiting a long time for the water to start moving and it just never happened so I packed up around noon.
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 04:48:21 PM »

I posted the fog rainbow, apparently they are relatively rare.  Must have been perfect conditions on Saturday.  The fog was crazy for sure.

25 crabs is better than none, enjoy them!

pintail
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 02:31:43 AM »

Many years ago I saw a school of porpoise in the Wye River. They were in and out around wet stone and shaw bay. They weren't there long just a few minutes and they disappeared.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 08:38:35 AM »

Lately, the dolphins have been as far north as the Chester River and maybe even further.

They are in the Pax every year for the last 5 or 6 years.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 01:40:22 PM »

I think this time of year if you can get 2 dozen you are doing ok.  Last year I saw a big pod of dolphins in the Miles , they are neat to see and watch.
Derwood

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 10:03:54 AM »

I frequently see dolphins in the Potomac below the 301 bridge. It's always cool. I frequently see bull sharks there in the summer, too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home