March 03, 2021, 03:17:03 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Crab Season Report - Western Shore Mid-Bay River - Year in Review  (Read 2666 times)
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2020, 05:32:12 PM »

This was a good year from what I have gathered from reports on the forum and from other crabbers on the river.  For the enjoyment I get out of it, it was definitely a good year for me.

On 44 trips out on four Western Shore Mid-Bay Rivers from June 12 to November 7 the yield was approximately 169 bushel reported or 3.85 bushel per trip.  It was not easy keeping that average, at least for me.  I generally used 2400' of line or occasionally 1200í.  Started with clams, went to fowl necks, and back to clams.  (I should have switched back to clams a little sooner.)

I left them biting on my last trip and that weekend ended up being among the better ones of great weather, good crabs/crab prices with some left over for family.  On that last trip I got a small nick on a thumb that got infected.  No big deal it usually is gone by the following weekend with Neosporin and a Band-Aid.  This time it persisted and got hot and discolored so Iím on 10 days of the antibiotic, Doxycyclene Hyclate.  It is responding to the meds.  UPDATE 12/7/2020: starting second round of antibiotic and a topical ointment for the thumb.  Will also start a soak and elevate routine a few times a day.  My shoulder that I'd hope would be feeling better from a few weeks rest is still a bother.  Not sure where that is going to go next.  I got telehealth visits for the infection but the shoulder may need an orthopedist, IDK.  I'm not excited about a visiting a healthcare facility but something needs to improve.  UPDATE 1/3/2021: Another ten days of the same antibiotic and now another couple weeks it appears gone for good!  The shoulder had an impingement that needed some stretching and exercise.  Its no longer painful and better posture and continued strengthening should soon make it a thing of the past.  I'm officially calling last season closed and now prepping for the new one.

My main helper was my dog Pesky (Charlie).  She came most days, when conditions permitted then had to cut back to one day a weekend just so it didn't become work for her.  Of the five trips with other help, my daughter came a couple times and that was the best, a long time buddy from Florida and his grandkids came another time or two, and I had a customer (rec crabber) come on a bucket list trip too!

I observed a lot, and learned a lot from other crabbers.  I'd be out there burning my own gas and boating around so it was nice to offset costs with crabs at the same time and I had plenty of crabs for myself and plenty of crab dishes frozen to carry through a long off season.  Iím now emptying and covering the boat; as well as disinfecting the line and will examine every foot cleaning up knots or splicing line.  I will repair or replace damaged, worn, missing snoods and rubber snubbers.  Other boat and gear repairs will commence as well.

Iím looking forward to next season, good luck to those still finishing out this one.  - Guy
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:37:51 AM by Stabilizer » Logged
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 01:09:35 AM »

THANK YOU GUY FOR A GREAT SEASON.  
  Your reports are some of the best on the forum. I always look forward to reading them. Sorry to hear about your thumb , you might want to carry some good antiseptic on board your boat. A few years ago a guy was standing in some water in New Jersey and he had an open sore on his leg, little did he know at the time that he was going to lose some fingers and some toes because he contacted a flesh eating disease  You can't be too careful with a cut or a small nick . I know of another friend who is comm , he had a crab get him and his finger swelled to twice it's size he has since got it under control and it healed up but I'm just saying BE CAREFUL OUT THERE !

BGFISHHOOK1
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:30:01 AM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
Done Workin

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 06:38:55 PM »

Thatís a great year, well done. Always love your reports.

Despite the good reports, I could never get on them this year. Iíve always prided myself on being able to catch quality crabs throughout the year and this is the first year in a very long time I had a bad year. Sometimes you need a smack in the face to bring you back down.

Covid and a half hearted attitude about crab gatherings did nothing to help.

Thereís always next year and hopefully this virus will be gone or seriously under control.

Chris
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 01:59:20 PM »

I agree with the others, your posts are a pleasure to read.  Great job this year!
RandJonthebay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 09:07:37 PM »

Guy,

Loved all your reports and the pictures that went with them. Great info and very helpful to others, thanks. Pesky was the best first mate a person could ask for. Good dog. Congrats on a good season. Best of luck in the future.

Reed.

CocoCrab

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 07:19:14 PM »

Guy - thanks much for sharing your knowledge this year.  I've learned a lot just reading your posts.  Hope you have blessed Holiday and 'off season'.

Cheers

CocoCrab
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 07:18:22 PM »

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  You're a good Guy!   

(sorry couldn't resist-my kids and now grandkids would be drawing circles around their temples with index finger and pointing at me right about now)

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
jmhuculak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 07:41:52 PM »

I hope to get a glimpse of you or Pesky next season! I think I may have spotted you once, but was scared to approach!  Happy Holidays! Stay Well!
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 05:10:36 PM »

I hope to get a glimpse of you or Pesky next season! I think I may have spotted you once, but was scared to approach!  Happy Holidays! Stay Well!
Thanks, I'm more approachable than I look sometimes.
crabbymike17

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 06:53:02 PM »

Guy and Pesky,

I'm sorry for the long delay in response.  Just got my tongue back.  Your posts and commitment to crabbing and the forum have been stellar.  I'm really glad you had a good year overall.  And I'm always looking forward to seeing what you're up to as we rapidly approach the 2021 season.  Before we know it, warm weather will be upon us.  I never have enough prep time even when I'm looking at snow.  Best wishes to you and Pesky in 2021.  In brief, 2020 was incredible for me!  Crushed it on a combo of pots and lines (off days).  Sorry, no pics, I'm not as good a poster as you my friend! 

CrabbyMike17

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home