January 25, 2021, 05:58:41 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does having a Commercial Crabbing sticker prevent Rec Crabbing from a boat?  (Read 984 times)
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 11:18:49 AM »

So going with that thought as a rec I (along with many others I know) ran 1200’ baited between swivels with 100’ control lines for a total 1400’. Was I in jeopardy of a ticket?

No you're not in violation. Baited portion is the line between the first bait and the last bait.  All DNR officers know you have to have tag lines and all that I have ever met are really willing to work with you.  I don't believe they have a "quota" to meet like some other law enforcement we know.

Now if you have a half basket of undersized crabs or an attitude they may go looking for other stuff to charge you with.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 12:06:25 PM »

So going with that thought as a rec I (along with many others I know) ran 1200’ baited between swivels with 100’ control lines for a total 1400’. Was I in jeopardy of a ticket?
Not in the least.  The baited line exists between the chains, between the buoys.  The buoys include the lines securing it to the baited lines.  It was previously mentioned DNR uses range finders (or as I've seen) GPS running parallel to your track to get some sense of what length gear you are running.  They use the buoys for reference, and unless its way out of bounds it wouldn't warrant further investigation.  These are reasonable people.  Another 100' isn't going to trigger a second thought, but 1800-2400 will likely  trigger closer investigation and your crabbing day will not go as planned.
nhunter344

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 02:13:34 PM »

No, I'm in the anything over 1200' is not permitted for recreational crabbing.  On your day off or after hours you are no longer a commercial crabber.  It is certainly an interpretation, that you could attempt to split hairs that as a recreational crabber you can use 2400 feet (or a mile) of line but only 1200 feet has bait on it.   (Why not further split the hairs and we say that 600 baited snoods that are an inch wide is only a 50 foot portion of baited line interspersed with “unbaited” line ?)

I cant agree from a strictly legal perspective, but I completely agree with the sentiment. If the COMAR regs cant be written in a clear manner that only have a single interpretation, consistent interpretation and in turn, enforcement are going to be lacking. We all have plenty of  stories of how 3 different crabbers/fisherman/hunters have done the same exact thing only to have very different results when dealing with DNR officers.

I figured since the original post has been pretty much answered, this is all just a fun mental exercise anyway so no offenses intended.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2021, 09:03:50 AM »

I figured since the original post has been pretty much answered, this is all just a fun mental exercise anyway so no offenses intended.
Oh hey, no worries.  It was fun to look into this and offered my interpretation and citied regulations and rational.  Everyone is going to do whatever they decide to do and DNR will rarely have interaction with them.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2021, 09:49:01 AM »

Kind of ironic with all the talk this thread has about length of baited line and what constitutes a "baited line".   I see DNR is working on how to DEFINE it.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Documents/Reg_Changes/DNR-FS-2020-10_Blue_Crab_General_Clarifications_and_Crab_Pot_Lines_Small_Business_Compliance_Guide_1-15-2021.pdf

**Note their proposed definition:    
The bait line is the portion of the trotline measured
from the first bait to the last bait. Clarifying this
will ensure understanding and proper compliance
with length requirements for trotlines.

.03 Trotlines.
A. (text unchanged)
B. The length of a trotline [is] shall be measured along the bait
line from the first bait to the last bait.
C.—D. (text unchanged)
E. Buoy Requirements.
(1) A trotline shall have a three-dimensional buoy of the same
color, size, and shape attached to each end.
(2) Buoys that have a [round or] spherical shape shall be at
least 12 inches in diameter.
(3) Buoys that do not have a [round or] spherical shape shall be
at least:
(a) 12 inches long; [and]
(b) 10 inches wide; and
(c) 10 inches high.
(4) (text unchanged)

I love to fish, but I live to crab.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print