April 15, 2021, 08:04:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DEPRESSION IS UPON US- 11-17-2020  (Read 930 times)
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2020, 08:56:50 AM »

I hate this!  These are the days where we get months and months of no new posts here.   Our(my ) daily site visit routine is destroyed until late spring.

It's a ritual bummer I hate when it first starts.  This year I will miss less- as 2020 was the WORST crabbing year in north NJ I've ever seen in my 50+ years of crabbing.

Next up in 2021 is the Woodstown Crabfest which was also F'ed up for 2020 too.

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
Sethehook
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 08:28:49 PM »

Hey Capt.

Pleasure to share you love and interests,

Hang in there bud!!!

I know it hasn't been the best year... for crabbing or anything else for that matter.

I  feel your pain. ( as do many others).

I always look at the winter for a time of reflection, re-organization and eventually.... anticipation.

A buddy of mine from long ago used to call it "digging in", "riding it out" etc.

Now ... honestly it used to start .... "AFTER" ... the Holidays.. but like everything else in 2020... nothing is normal.

.... Just found out my oldest daughter can't make it down for Thanksgiving due to new policies at her job... WTF!!

So we are heading up to her....!!!

Sorry if Im getting off track.... but .... the point is .... Please reach out for encouragement... bitch session ... or a drunken joke of the day off....

Maybe we need a scheduled ZOOM call for everyone... cause I think it gonna be a long 3 or 4 months till Spring....

STH

capt crab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 12:53:01 AM »

I agree with you.   If we continue during the winter months I think it will have a positive effect "Mentally" on a lot of us. Stay Safe during the off months and have a Happie and safe Holidays.   Cap't Crab
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 12:09:53 PM »

Best way I cope is to compartmentalize and focus elsewhere.  But this year everything is [curd].  I cant visit my 87 YO uncle as he's getting cancer treatments.  No travel.  Family gettogether are tedious to do.  And afterwards you worry about some one there getting sick or worse.

And we have Governor crooked teeth making up nonsensical rules just to punish us that do nothing to drive down increases.

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
Shorerd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 08:08:03 AM »

It really doesn’t get much worse than the hellish existence these globalists are carving out for us. You’re gonna have to ask your governor for permission to crab in the future. Oh yeah, wear a mask when ya do!

Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 11:57:37 AM »

MERRY CHISTMAS best wishes to the NJ crabbing world.

Better days ( especially up north) are ahead in 2021.

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 03:43:51 PM »

https://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?topic=98959.new#new Smiley

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
blueclawfever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 12:41:24 PM »

Bad year for crabbing for sure.  Hang in there everyone.  Hopefully Woodstown will be a "GO" in about 10 weeks.  Gosh I hope so....

I have a fever....
And the prescription....
Is more crabbing !!
blueclawfever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 12:43:19 PM »

Could sure go for a Captain WillieCrab story about now....with pics   Grin

I have a fever....
And the prescription....
Is more crabbing !!
CaptWilliecrab
Lifetime Member

A great way to live a day!

Williecrab S Wilson Capt Williecrab

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 01:06:29 PM »

12/4/12 ~ The Creek Crabs of Christmas ! ~~
                                                or
               I'll have a blue blue claw crab Christmas without you

“It was You who set all the boundaries of the earth; You made both summer and winter.” ~Psalm 74:17

The Capt's main ship has been betrayed away. The new ship is still being put together. On a nice mild winter's day, the Capt decided to go crabbing. The ole Cyn Mel Sue, covered with leaves, and with 3 year old gas in her tank was loaded up with gear. 2 fishin poles, 3 traps and 2 handlines. Chickenbacks for crab bait, and a minnow net to catch fish bait, and of course a crab net. With about 30 epoxy patches on her, and a badly rusted trailer, the ship is still creek worthy.

Now the Capt had crabbing on his mind, but he had also gotten a call from whaler, (Edcrab). The whaler said he was goin, and he was trying out his new creek boat. It is a Hobie power skiff, the ultimate creek boat. The Capt's emotions ranged from admiration to envy. The Hobie is so perfect because it has great speed, and will cut through the bay when it is rough with no problems. A Whaler-type boat is bouncy in the rough, but a Hobie with it's pointy bow slices gracefully. The Capt had never seen one up close, he could harldy wait.

The air was a little chilly with an overcast sky. The Cyn Mel Sue was once again on the creeks. The engine started right away, but ran a little rough at first, (old gas ). The first stop after sqeezing under the Turkey Point road bridge, was in a ditch entrance on a creek near Beaver Dam. The Capt was thrilled when he pulled in a keeper and a few throw backs. Lots of grass shrimp were also caught for bait. This was the first crab the Capt ever caught, or even tried to catch in Dec. The Capt began to work, moving the ship to many spots all the way up near Fortescue. No fish or fish bites, and only a couple more throwbacks. It was now past noon. Groups of quacking ducks flew over the meadows. Gun shots rang out off in the distance. Sometimes whistling could be heard from the reeds blowing in the winds, and wings of some large meadow birds caused a swishing sound as they flew by. It was a busy winter day in the meadow wilderness.

Just as the ship set up in a perfect spot, and the tide changing, the Capt spotted something. Far away near Turkey Point he saw a hat just above the reeds moving at great speed back and forth. The he saw the sun shining on a shiny rising bow rail. He knew that must be the Hobie Power Skiff! The Capt quickly weighted anchors and traps and headed full speed toward Turkey Point. He dodged a bunch of crab traps in the creeks along the way. Then, there it was, the Hobie, and oh yeah, the Captain of the Hobie, whaler. This was the first time meeting whaler in person, and the Capt pulled alongside. The Capt was sure whaler would invite him aboard, but just in case he invited himself and climbed on. The whaler then displayed his catch so far. There was a bushel basket about a quarter full of huge heavy Jimmies! Then the Whaler treated the Capt to a ride in the Hobie, it was very fast and spun around on the spot with ease. Then the Whaler shared some secret bait with the Capt. Don't ask what it is (secret bait disclosure creek laws) The Capt then jumped back in his ship and headed for a favorite spot of his pretty close to the Whaler's trap run area. The Capt is a stationary crabber, while the whaler is a move-around-the- creek crabber.

The Cyn Mel Sue was set up again, 3 traps, 1 handline, and fishing poles. whaler was working his creek traps. Both crabbers were bringing in lots of throwbacks, sometimes up to 5 per trap. The Capt hit a stretch of nice big jimmies. The biggest of the day came in on the handline, a huge claw 6 inch jim. The Capt was astounded, catching a keeper in Dec on a handline! Whaler pulled up next to the Cyn Mel Sue and gave the Capt a mini sub with peppers and oil. What a great treat! Whaler reported he had 4 keepers in one trap! The Capt sure did enjoy watching that Hobie glide on the creeks, he didn't even care the Whaler was outcrabbing him 10 to 1.

Now past 3pm, the Capt decided to head back, stopping at one more favorite place on the way. He said goodbye to the whaler who was still bringing in the crabs. No crabs were caught on the final stop just past the Turkey Point Bridge on the home side. No fish or even a fish bite was recorded the whole day. Back at the Owl's Nest, the ship was loaded. A dozen fat male crabs were in the holding tank. That would be enough for a nice breakfast.

The Whaler came in just before dark. He caught a lot of nice crabs and will share his total in his report. It was a little chilly and overcast, but a wonderful day and nice catch for a winter's day. The king of the creeks today, was the whaler.

Capt Williecrab, creek explorer, learning from the whaler today!                                             

“As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease.” ~Genesis 18:22

CaptWilliecrab
Lifetime Member

A great way to live a day!

Williecrab S Wilson Capt Williecrab

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 01:10:13 PM »

Take a ride with the Capt and gang,  a very fast creek ship behind Fortescue NJ to the Dividing Creek Cove.

blueclawfever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 01:22:05 PM »

YES!  The Captain comes through!  Merry Christmas Captn WillieCrab!  If it was up to me I would rename a Cumberland County creek after you!  Hope you are doing great and I hope I see you at Woodstown in a couple of months !!

I have a fever....
And the prescription....
Is more crabbing !!
throwback

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 07:00:58 AM »

I needed that,nice job.
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 02:41:43 PM »

I hate this!  These are the days where we get months and months of no new posts here.   Our(my ) daily site visit routine is destroyed until late spring.

It's a ritual bummer I hate when it first starts.  This year I will miss less- as 2020 was the WORST crabbing year in north NJ I've ever seen in my 50+ years of crabbing.

Next up in 2021 is the Woodstown Crabfest which was also F'ed up for 2020 too.

I know what you mean.  I live in Maryland and I actually crab from a kayak.  To keep me busy this winter I am going to make my own ring traps.  Learning to weave the nets will be the challenging part.

There's no place like roam!
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 07:50:46 AM »

Hang on   ,, Crabbing  Bro,,,  Tomorrow is a stepping stone,,, (PEBBLE),,   towards next season!   Craig Fos should be preparing for his ANNUAL New years crabbing adventure on #1 January   2021  !!   I'll be lookin for the annual report on his results !! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 05:46:22 PM »

Hang in there Capt. Frank.  It won't be long till you're back in the boat again.  Its been a while since my last crabbing trip.  Engine isn't running correctly so I've turned my attention to hunting and fishing.  If things get to bad come on down to Louisiana and we can fish together and pass a good time.  View my fishing post and deer post I uploaded today.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home