September 17, 2021, 06:55:24 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pouring a Lead Ring...  (Read 1397 times)
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2021, 11:20:40 AM »

Well, since I did so well with my search for a lead ring, I've decided to pour my own...For you sinker pourers, what, where do I get a cheap(probably only time) lead pot/melter?...I do have a propane burner for outdoor cooking and 'maybe' just use that?...Cast iron pot/pan/ladle?....I'm open to suggestions...Want a lead ring, 'about' 1/4" to 3/8" diameter, 1&1/2" ID....Thinking about pouring a flat 'sheet' 1/4"-3/8" thick then drilling(hole saw) a 2&1/4" OD circle...THEN, center drill that with a 1&12" hole saw...Should leave roughly what I want and then I'll have to clean up the sharp edges...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:43:40 AM by on the hook » Logged

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 12:34:08 PM »

I have a long handled steel ladle that I use for small amounts. You could use a small, heavy duty sauce pan or pot. I've actually used a thick aluminum pot to pour sinkers, but I don't use a roaring jet type burner. The melting point of lead is 621*F, the melting point of aluminum is 1218*F, so you have some wiggle room if you're careful. Cast iron would certainly be wiser and safer.
CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 06:36:54 PM »

Tochtermans on Eastern Ave. sells melting pots.
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 09:29:01 AM »

Little work on my outdoor crab cooker, but...Did 44...pita, but... after molding them I spent a couple hours sanding them all...They BETTER work...

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 02:13:56 PM »

Little work on my outdoor crab cooker, but...Did 44...pita, but... after molding them I spent a couple hours sanding them all...They BETTER work...
Those lead rings are off the hook!  Well done.  I'd imagine the custom purpose driven traps that come of them will be efficient catching devices.

gcs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 05:08:22 PM »

They look good, but...why not just thread a net lead over the wire?
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 08:22:44 PM »

They look good, but...why not just thread a net lead over the wire?
[/quote

You mean like this???]

bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 12:26:01 AM »

VAL

look into a HOT POT for your lead melting I use one for all of my lure making. I am sure that E Bay has them or maybe Creigslist. . They are simple in that you plug the cord into a wall socket and the heating element melts the lead. I have used an old SS tablespoon as a ladle. let me know if you have any luck.

Bobby G
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:58:15 PM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 10:14:39 AM »

Thx Bob...Glad to see you're up and running...I used my fish/crab cooker..Worked OK, but I really would like to get some 'other' tools, but this may be the only time doing this??? Trying these but without the lead actually being a ring it takes some work and STILL looks crude, BUT will work...I do need to find 'some' 3/32" wire??...I bought a pack of the TIG, but it has no strength??..BENDS TOO EASY...I cut one of our tomato cage legs and that is what you see here...I'd like to find JUST the wire from those or similar, instead of using cages...It's limited to distance between the round ring welds...Does seem like they will work fine though...Only other hassle is, I'll need to bend the clip in two 90* after inserting later...Holes are already in the lead rings, but would be a nightmare to try and build with the clip in Shocked Shocked...Thank you Bob for all the help...My wife loves the living room a mess while I do these Grin Grin Grin

bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 02:20:14 AM »

My main workstation is our kitchen table I can set up everything on my end of the table and work from there making my nets. I first make the Rosette and then join it to start the net from the bottom up. I always tie five knots and then move and tie five more meshes. I can tie five or six knots in a minute. Since I am in no hurry my nets look perfect . I find that the two hardest places in my whole net is the first row of meshes to get it started and the very last row the tenth row which is a double mesh to finish the net. I am going to have some of my finished nets for sale at the bargain price of $ 15.00 each. The materials that I use are of the finest quality , I do not use the twisted line I use the Braided line in the # 12 size tarred Nylon it is a bit heavier than the twisted line.

BOBBY G

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "

on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 10:12:56 AM »

LOL...Yeh, no place like home for doing this 'stuff'...Broke the 'lil lady in right when we were first married...I guided duck hunters on the Katy Prairie in Tx in the 70s/80s and was always looking for an 'edge'...2 liter plastic soda bottles proved to help a LOT...I put an ad in the local penny saver newspaper and lo and behold, I was inundated with bottles...I do remember I had to delete or change the ad because I was getting a lot of bottles without caps...btw, I offered $.05/per...Local Boyscout troops jumped on it...I'm talking 77/78ish..I ended up with 2000!!!!!....Then, my wife and I(wife, for the most part) put these in the bathtub with HOT water because the glue really sucked to get off...She still gripes about that...Then, we(lease hunters/other guides) painted them black and a little white....The air moved them REAL easy, compared to the heavier plastic decoys and mixed in with decoys proved a winner...btw, at one time , in Tx, I had 72 dozen duck decoys...Yes, 864!!!!....Then there was the time I had a greenwing teal that didn't appear to be shot..Yep, kept him in the tub too...My daughters(4/1) loved that little critter...Finally let him fly away..Dang....I keep remembering wierd 'stuff' from then...Pet tarantula I found...PLENTY of cottonmouths...2/12/84...Anniversary...Picking up decoys and 2 daughters(5/2..almost 6/3) playing around the flooded pit blind and falling in the water...hahaha...

OK, back on track...I made a top that has padding under to go over an end table as a station...Then I can clamp/screw anything I want to the top..It hangs out a couple inches on all sides...Here is a picture of the last 3 nights work...35 rosettes....Going to start the nets soon...I just use heavier string on that outside loop...pita, but kit works...

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 12:05:40 AM »

I would be worried the bait clips would get hung up with the other nets when you stack them together. Im going to put snoods on mine.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 09:07:16 AM »

I would be worried the bait clips would get hung up with the other nets when you stack them together. Im going to put snoods on mine.

Got snoods on mine now...pita after to open and discard bait...slimy/greasy and the bungee is tight...Gonna try this...If they are a big hassle...Change them...simple fix...I'm told no big problem but nothing is foolproof...

Got snoods on mine now...pita after to open and discard bait...

BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 08:12:17 AM »

LOL...Yeh, no place like home for doing this 'stuff'...Broke the 'lil lady in right when we were first married...I guided duck hunters on the Katy Prairie in Tx in the 70s/80s and was always looking for an 'edge'...2 liter plastic soda bottles proved to help

The Katy Praire is a thing of the past.  Pretty much all of it has been developed. The fields use to be covered with geese this time of year. I hardly ever see any geese around here anymore.
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 03:37:45 PM »

The Katy Praire is a thing of the past.  Pretty much all of it has been developed. The fields use to be covered with geese this time of year. I hardly ever see any geese around here anymore.

Used to hunt where Igloo and the airport is...Just west of Shell Plant rd is my main spot and the reservoirs are still there...Off Stahlnicht(sp) Rd out of Brookshire..Hun ted all that area and south of I-10...Hunted from Stahlnict down to where Exxon is on Morton(?) and south of I-10 for about a mile...LOT of birds back then...Where do you live?...I lived across the tracks from Katy HS on Aster & Ash...

on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 03:48:24 PM »

OK...After doing 35 with the clip/bait hook I've decided to go with a snood Grin Grin Grin Shocked Shocked....The net from the ring above was tangling in the point/curve for the pin type holder Undecided Cry Cry Cry....

BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 07:05:28 AM »

Sorry I just saw these messages.  I live in Fairfield in Cypress.
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 09:00:10 AM »

Did some running in that area...Great restaurant there in the 80s on 290...In-Laws lived in Tomball and SIL still lives in Deckers Prairie...Hunted some around Hockley/Monaville area too..Waller ...OK, a lot of places around that area...I keep in touch with some of the old guys(Gore/Cahill/Gibson) that guided and they don't hardly hunt anymore but WE are getting up there in age now...I miss Tx compared to here(upstate Pa) but South Jersey was great until about 2012/Sandy...Seems that changed a lot...Crabs still good but fish/ducks are a lot different there now...Oh well, time marches on...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home