September 17, 2021, 05:47:53 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PITA Spool of #12....  (Read 879 times)
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2021, 08:11:32 PM »

I've used #12 tarred braided for all of my rings in the last 2+ years...I do use #21 for edge and drop/door lines...BUT, I received a 1# spool of #12 and started using it today...It is a nightmare to use...Taking twice as long as the other and is harder to use than the #21 even...I've only done 1 net and can't imagine doing another 15 with it....Any ideas??  Thinking about going with plain ole braided #12...Added a picture of some twine...Memory is awful...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:36:08 PM by on the hook » Logged

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 10:40:53 PM »

Maybe you can explain why its so hard to use?

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 12:10:21 AM »

VAL

This is the line that I exclusively use all the time . I might be able to give you a few tips that might help you.. I remove line from the spool by letting the spool roll in my left hand , that is how the spool is loaded at the factory. When you load your Shuttle only rotate your shuttle back and fourth . You will find that when you start the first row of meshes the line will become twisted a bit , turn your shuttle counter clock wise 3 or 4 turns every two meshes tied to remove those twists, and I always give myself extra line from the shuttle. I have found that my nets lay out on the floor flatter when these twists are removed. The further you are away from the Spinner the easier you will be able to control those twists. I have a series of pictures that might help you see how I hold the loop with my left trigger finger to keep it out of the way while sewing the Shuttle under two then between one and two line. the trick is don't let go of the line under your left thumb until it is almost pulled up tight. That knot will always go exactly where it is supposed to. I hope that this has helped you.

BGFISHHOOK1
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 12:24:12 AM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 11:10:54 AM »

I order from Memphis Net and Twine.  I got one 1# spool of #12 that was very sticky (lots of tar) and hard to work with.  I manned up and made my nets anyway.   Grin Grin  Stop whining and get to work, Val.   laugh

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 04:12:40 PM »

I order from Memphis Net and Twine.  I got one 1# spool of #12 that was very sticky (lots of tar) and hard to work with.  I manned up and made my nets anyway.   Grin Grin  Stop whining and get to work, Val.   laugh

Yeh...Got 2 more done...Seems really really tarred and it reminds me of the old 20# line I bought in the 60s for my Zebco...You spool it and it acts like a slinky for about a month..Might look at Memphis, BUT this is the first out of 6-1# spools to act like this...Hope the last..Had to wrap my hands in duct tape to pull the knots tight...Oh well...I'm way ahead of the game anyway...Should have 35(11 now) done in a week or so(?) and I have the wire...Mike, I'm gonna try and weld the ends of the rings??..Have you tried that?..The sleeves work, but...Buddy thinks he can do it...He's a plumber, but I don't hold that against him...

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.

bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 12:37:00 AM »

HOPE THAT YOUR BIRTHDAY is a special one " RICH " and that you have many , many more of them too ! juggle balloon3 balloon2 balloon juggle2 drummer drummer drummer stars stars sweetheart sweetheart wings wings whip whip wall wall wall

BGFISHOOK1 and his Bride Arlene .

Get it on !
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 09:32:32 AM »

HOPE THAT YOUR BIRTHDAY is a special one " RICH " and that you have many , many more of them too ! juggle balloon3 balloon2 balloon juggle2 drummer drummer drummer stars stars sweetheart sweetheart wings wings whip whip wall wall wall

BGFISHOOK1 and his Bride Arlene .

[/quo

wall wall wall wall wall

crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 02:02:44 PM »

Yeh...Got 2 more done...Seems really really tarred and it reminds me of the old 20# line I bought in the 60s for my Zebco...You spool it and it acts like a slinky for about a month..Might look at Memphis, BUT this is the first out of 6-1# spools to act like this...Hope the last..Had to wrap my hands in duct tape to pull the knots tight...Oh well...I'm way ahead of the game anyway...Should have 35(11 now) done in a week or so(?) and I have the wire...Mike, I'm gonna try and weld the ends of the rings??..Have you tried that?..The sleeves work, but...Buddy thinks he can do it...He's a plumber, but I don't hold that against him...

I have not tried welding.  Not sure how that would work.  I have a hard enough time getting the sleeves on without the net loops slipping off the ring.  You must know a patient welder.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
flatfish4x4

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 06:07:52 PM »

i messed up and got #2 of #12 braid green.come to find out it's not bonded.so would you dip them in a net dip to hold the knots better or just hope the knots hold
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 09:35:53 AM »

i messed up and got #2 of #12 braid green.come to find out it's not bonded.so would you dip them in a net dip to hold the knots better or just hope the knots hold

I've not used twisted yet and don't plan on using it, but....I only super glue knots where I've connected 2 lines or the end knots....I use braided though and not worried about the line unraveling...I'm thinking you'd be good doing the same...There REALLY is no pressure as to pulling on 99.9% of the knots in the net...All the pulling is on the 3 drop lines, imo...

bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 02:32:55 PM »

I've not used twisted yet and don't plan on using it, but....I only super glue knots where I've connected 2 lines or the end knots....I use braided though and not worried about the line unraveling...I'm thinking you'd be good doing the same...There REALLY is no pressure as to pulling on 99.9% of the knots in the net...All the pulling is on the 3 drop lines, imo...
  What this man has told you is absolute truth .I do the very same thing that he does, using Braided line is completely different than using TWISTED LINE . Twisted line has some " GIVE TO IT " but BRAIDED LINE IS LIKE A WIRE " and it does not have any " GIVE TO IT AT ALL " . With that being said if you use a Braided line you must take the extra time while tying your meshes to un -twist while you are tying your knots . Otherwise those twists are going to pile up and cause you a headache. Let me say this I prefer the braided line over the TWISTED line in that the Braided line is more of a solid line and it is even stronger too because it is a bit heavier than the same size as the TWISTED LINE . IMHO  you will end up with a much stronger net with BRAID than you will the TWISTED line .

BGFISHOOK1

Get it on !
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 04:40:41 PM »

What this man has told you is absolute truth .I do the very same thing that he does, using Braided line is completely different than using TWISTED LINE . Twisted line has some " GIVE TO IT " but BRAIDED LINE IS LIKE A WIRE " and it does not have any " GIVE TO IT AT ALL " . With that being said if you use a Braided line you must take the extra time while tying your meshes to un -twist while you are tying your knots . Otherwise those twists are going to pile up and cause you a headache. Let me say this I prefer the braided line over the TWISTED line in that the Braided line is more of a solid line and it is even stronger too because it is a bit heavier than the same size as the TWISTED LINE . IMHO  you will end up with a much stronger net with BRAID than you will the TWISTED line .

BGFISHOOK1

You should agree...It was you that told me to use braided Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin...BUT, I agree 100%....Only thing I'm doing different now is I clamped 2 boards about 7' high and 15' apart in the living room to 'unravel' that REALLY tarred spool...Worked like magic...I may do that with ALL of my twine going forward...Takes about 5 min to put up 150' and that lasts for more than 1 net, so it has time to 'straighten' ..Then, I fill all 150' on shuttles and hang more...Learning every day Cheesy Cheesy

bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 09:45:38 PM »

You should agree...It was you that told me to use braided Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin...BUT, I agree 100%....Only thing I'm doing different now is I clamped 2 boards about 7' high and 15' apart in the living room to 'unravel' that REALLY tarred spool...Worked like magic...I may do that with ALL of my twine going forward...Takes about 5 min to put up 150' and that lasts for more than 1 net, so it has time to 'straighten' ..Then, I fill all 150' on shuttles and hang more...Learning every day Cheesy Cheesy
Even though I never had the pleasure of meeting you in person VAL I already know that you have an uncanny ability to figure things out if given enough time. Just remember that it will help you control that Braided line when tyeing your knots unwind your shuttle by turning it four or five times counter clock wise after tying those for or five sets. you will find that the line will flow better to your knot. Try it and let me know how it works for you.

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 09:59:04 PM »

Yeh Bob...What I do when I see it starting to 'twist' is pinch it near the net and pull my hand down to the shuttle..Usually 3 or 4 turns and it's straight...

bgfishhook1
In Memoriam 07/2021
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 11:38:53 PM »

Yeh Bob...What I do when I see it starting to 'twist' is pinch it near the net and pull my hand down to the shuttle..Usually 3 or 4 turns and it's straight...
How do you think that I knew you would do that ? The twists come right out  of it don't it ? You don't need me to make your nets you are doing just fine yourself ! Good for you VAL. If I can help you just let me know !

Bobby G AKA  BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home