February 26, 2021, 07:49:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crab traps  (Read 279 times)
Charlie g

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2021, 03:13:04 PM »

What's better, galvinized or vinyl coated traps?

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 05:35:05 PM »

As far as "better", I don't know, but I like the galvanized ones, myself. They seem to keep their shape better, and are more sturdy in my opinion. I have had mine for over 15 years, and they are still intact. I have to replace hog rings, bait springs, and rope every so often, but you will have those issues with any trap. One thing I will mention though, the coated ones won't cut your boat leather quite as easily as the galvies. Unless, of course, the coating chips off the edges of the coated ones, and the metal becomes exposed. Then they will be just as sharp.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 10:45:23 AM »

As far as "better", I don't know, but I like the galvanized ones, myself. They seem to keep their shape better, and are more sturdy in my opinion. I have had mine for over 15 years, and they are still intact. I have to replace hog rings, bait springs, and rope every so often, but you will have those issues with any trap. One thing I will mention though, the coated ones won't cut your boat leather quite as easily as the galvies. Unless, of course, the coating chips off the edges of the coated ones, and the metal becomes exposed. Then they will be just as sharp.

But vinyl coated are noticeably heavier.

Cuts are biggest problem with uncoated topless traps. (anything that will cut including skin!)  Although time consuming an easy fix is file down all sharp edges... I plan to do that some day, I need a round tuit, lol.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 12:44:25 PM »

You are right about the sharp edges. But galvies just seem better to me. Don't really know why.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 12:53:46 PM »

Mt understanding on comm. crab pots is that gal. catches better then vin coated. that alone would male me use gal. don't know why this is but maybe young ray could chime in, he did pot in NC fo9r a while I think. and no I don't mean smoke it. Grin

xFishdogx

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 09:26:15 AM »

I had the same question last year and I went with gal since someone mentioned that the vinyl can't be cleaned underneath coating which causes rusting.
bluecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:53:54 PM »

ring traps work better less work
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Today at 03:59:58 PM »

ring traps work better less work

I prefer the ring traps too. But that wasn't one of the options offered by the original poster. He was only asking about galvanized vs. vinyl coated box traps.

Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 07:02:39 PM »

I disagree that nets work better. If you like pulling with the current (ie pulling tight lines) the topless work best.  They don't flip over while you watch the crab getting away as they come out of water behind the boat.   On the other hand if you like pulling against current  (slack lines)or where there is little or no current the nets are lighter and easier to pull and as long as they come out of the water fairly flat they work just fine.    As far as catching more crabs in a net or a topless I see no difference.  Sometimes they're in the topless, sometimes they're in the net... averages out the same in the long run.   

A big advantage to using both is you can make a line of topless traps and put a line of net traps parallel and run the topless with the current and turn around and run the nets against the current going back.     

Of course you can pull topless traps against the current with slack in lines (my crabbin buddy likes doin that) but I have better success pulling tight lines so they close the instant you grab the float.

It is not so good pulling a net trap with current where the trap comes out of the water behind your boat.  Many times the trap will flip over and you watch the crab swim away.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:14:42 PM »

They work fine in any direction for me. I guess I'm just good at it!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home