September 17, 2021, 05:43:12 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mesh size to crab size for hotel pot  (Read 418 times)
samiam

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2021, 10:21:43 AM »

I originally had the two hotel-style traps (pots) that NJ allows for recreational crabbing, but one got crushed a while back. I was thinking about trying to fabricate one myself. My original traps used the typical hexagonal mesh that retains every crab that gets through the funnel. I've been pondering whether mesh selection could be used as a way to cull for (approximate) size. Is there any consensus about how big a blue crab can slip through a particular size square or hex mesh?

SAM
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 12:42:27 PM »

That's what the cull rings are for.   Wink    2 5/16'' should let out anything under 5''.

I had some 2'' mesh pots in my rig before.  Never caught small crabs in them.   

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
samiam

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 01:01:47 PM »

That's what the cull rings are for.   Wink    2 5/16'' should let out anything under 5''.

I had some 2'' mesh pots in my rig before.  Never caught small crabs in them.   

Thanks for the reply. I'm going for as much simplicity as possible. Also thinking about using alternative non-rusting materials (it's only one pot, so not much of a gamble). Was that 2" square mesh, or hexagonal? 2" square wire mesh is 2.83" from a corner to its opposite, hexagonal mesh (I know chicken wire, etc. isn't 100% symetrical hex, but it's fairly close) is 2.31", corner to opposite. Seems to me that 1/2" could make a big difference in crab escapes...
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 04:32:38 PM »

Square mesh.  The 1/2'' does make a huge difference.  Those pots caught #1s only.  But they were cheap.

The problem is electrolysis.  If you put a zinc or two on the pot it will last a long time.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
samiam

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 04:05:24 PM »

Square mesh.  The 1/2'' does make a huge difference.  Those pots caught #1s only.  But they were cheap.

The problem is electrolysis.  If you put a zinc or two on the pot it will last a long time.
Thanks for your advice and insight!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home