September 17, 2021, 06:58:39 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swivels??  (Read 1900 times)
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2021, 05:59:28 PM »

Ordered some and they are just a little too small...Looking to thread 3/16 rope through for the float line and then the 3 drop lines to the rings...Nowhere local here and I do NOT know sizes...Guessing They would be strong, but somewhere around 100# etc?...Like this picture but without the snap...btw, what do YOU use to shorten your lines while crabbing? I have 25' and looking to make some kind of 'cinch' to shorten...Like when in 4' you want about 6' of line..I cut slits in my pool noodles and that works but looking for alternative...

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 07:02:17 PM »

I use the cylindrical, bullet nose 12" foam buoys that I cut down to individual crab floats. I cut each one down to 2" tall (get 5 out of each, the last piece is pointy and small, I just throw that one out. I cut four slits on the sides at 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees. Between the slits, i carve out mini half circles, this will allow you to wrap your line around the buoy, then when you get it to the length you want, jam rope into one of the four slits. That will hold it in place. I take it one step further than most guys. On my rope "itself", I make hash marks every 5' with a sharpie marker, this way, you have a quick gauge on how much rope is out. Lay your trap on a table. Take a tape measure, and measure 5' along the rope from the TOP of the trap. Make a wide mark around the rope a sharpie (about the width of two sharpie points). Then measure five more feet. At that point, put two wide hash marks on the rope. Continue along rope at every 5', with 3 marks at 15', 4 marks at 20', etc. One thing to note, don't put the marks too close together on the lengths that have multiple hash marks. After soaking in the water, the sharpie tends to swell a little on the rope. So if the marks are too close together, they will swell together as one big mark. Leave at least 1/2" to 3/4" between multiple marks. Hopefully I typed that clearly. LOL.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:11:41 AM by Wallco99 » Logged
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 08:04:46 PM »

I use the round, cylindrical 12" foam buoys that I cut down to individual crab floats. I cut each one down to 2" tall (get 5 out of each, the last piece is pointy and small, I just throw that one out. I cut four slits on the sides at 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees. Between the slits, i carve out mini half circles, this will allow you to wrap your line around the buoy, then when you get it to the length you want, jam rope into one of the four slits. That will hold it in place. I take it one step further than most guys. On my rope "itself", I make hash marks every 5' with a sharpie marker, this way, you have a quick gauge on how much rope is out. Lay your trap on a table. Take a tape measure, and measure 5' along the rope from the TOP of the trap. Make a wide mark around the rope a sharpie (about the width of two sharpie points). Then measure five more feet. At that point, put two wide hash marks on the rope. Continue along rope at every 5', with 3 marks at 15', 4 marks at 20', etc. One thing to note, don't put the marks too close together on the lengths that have multiple hash marks. After soaking in the water, the sharpie tends to swell a little on the rope. So if the marks are too close together, they will swell together as one big mark. Leave at least 1/2" to 3/4" between multiple marks. Hopefully I typed that clearly. LOL.

Yep, understand fully....Is 2" from the buoy enough to float the ring?

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 10:13:45 PM »

The 2" floats I am talking about are the ones on the top of the water. The rope is wrapped around the surface floats, not the mini float down bottom that holds your ring strings up. That is a much, much smaller float on that.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 10:16:29 PM »

I'm sorry, I think I read that wrong. Yes, 2" thick round floats are more than sufficient. And stack very well in your ring traps too when wrapping up.

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 10:36:30 PM »

Here's a couple of angles of the float.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 10:52:31 PM »

These are what I cut down. Cheap at Eastern Marine. They may be a little less than 2", maybe 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" I make them.
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 06:50:15 PM »

Thanks Wallco....I DO believe you are misunderstanding....I have cork on my line JUST ABOVE these swivels that keep the lines out of the rings..I mean IF too deep, they( your 2") will not sink?..My other rings/topless have large enough floats to FLOAT my traps..I have new rings I'm making and modified the center ring etc etc...At the line stage and got the wrong size swivels...Need 1/4" swivels but I do not know what size that might be??.. just looking for alternatives...Those floats look like they'd work fine IF they'll float the trap...Just for peace of mind...I usually don't have a depth finder and have lost traps...Once I dropped 5 brand new, first trip, and 2 went straight down Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 07:44:57 PM »

Thanks Wallco....I DO believe you are misunderstanding....I have cork on my line JUST ABOVE these swivels that keep the lines out of the rings..I mean IF too deep, they( your 2") will not sink?..My other rings/topless have large enough floats to FLOAT my traps..I have new rings I'm making and modified the center ring etc etc...At the line stage and got the wrong size swivels...Need 1/4" swivels but I do not know what size that might be??.. just looking for alternatives...Those floats look like they'd work fine IF they'll float the trap...Just for peace of mind...I usually don't have a depth finder and have lost traps...Once I dropped 5 brand new, first trip, and 2 went straight down Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin

Yes, they will go under water if depth is deeper than the amount of line you have out. But I always set them 5' deeper than my depth finder reads. I watch each float as I deploy my traps. If it starts to sink, I'll grab it back up and let out some more line. But that very rarely happens with a good depth finder.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 05:54:25 PM »

Ordered some and they are just a little too small...Looking to thread 3/16 rope through for the float line and then the 3 drop lines to the rings...Nowhere local here and I do NOT know sizes...Guessing They would be strong, but somewhere around 100# etc?...Like this picture but without the snap...btw, what do YOU use to shorten your lines while crabbing? I have 25' and looking to make some kind of 'cinch' to shorten...Like when in 4' you want about 6' of line..I cut slits in my pool noodles and that works but looking for alternative...

I'm curious why you use swivels?
Several years ago I had trouble with rope knotting up because floats were spinning with current.  Thought about putting swivels on but realized my problem was the 3 strand softlay line I was using. Swapped it out with locktite and haven't had any problems with floats spinning since.  

I use about 1/4" locktite for traps because it is so much easier on your hands than the thinner stuff.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 06:05:46 PM by Harford Crabber » Logged

I love to fish, but I live to crab.

on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 06:50:21 PM »

I'm curious why you use swivels?
Several years ago I had trouble with rope knotting up because floats were spinning with current.  Thought about putting swivels on but realized my problem was the 3 strand softlay line I was using. Swapped it out with locktite and haven't had any problems with floats spinning since.  

I use about 1/4" locktite for traps because it is so much easier on your hands than the thinner stuff.

Just to 'make sure' I get no line twist...I've seen some friends with direct tied and they look a mess...Usually used snap swivels like pictured and removed the lines after crabbing...Like here in this picture...I use big floats and if I try putting them in the trap or outside they are a nightmare to move/store...I did my rings 2 years ago and used snap swivels but ended up leaving the attached anyway, so...I am doing 35 more and want just swivels..

on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 12:37:53 PM »

Wallco....This them?.....If so, you get 5 from each @ 2"?....BUT, will they float your ring...Mine are under a pound(12+ oz) each...

https://www.easternmarine.com/5-x-11-bullet-nose-crabbing-float-orange

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 03:58:36 PM »

No, I showed you the picture above. Mine are about 5"-6" in diameter, those yellow ones look like they are less than that.
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 05:44:20 PM »

No, I showed you the picture above. Mine are about 5"-6" in diameter, those yellow ones look like they are less than that.

These are 5" as shown and orange, not yellow..From Eastern Marine....You got a link for yours, and price?...Guessing that even with these, IF I'd get 5 floats, that will add $1.30 +tax/shipping PER ring...Substantial but IF they float(the ring???) worth it...

They have this listed but says out of stock

https://www.easternmarine.com/5-7-8-x-13-3-4-bullet-nose-crabbing-float-orange

Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 02:46:06 PM »

Buy some 1/2 inch pvc pipe and cut in 12 inch sections and insert in hole in noodle until equal lengths of pvc protrude from both ends of noodle. Now wrap your excess line in figure eights around ends of pvc pipe. When you get to the length you need, do a half knot around end of  pvc.

Cc

Say brother....can you spare a crab...

Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 12:15:34 PM »

Just to 'make sure' I get no line twist...I've seen some friends with direct tied and they look a mess...Usually used snap swivels like pictured and removed the lines after crabbing...Like here in this picture...I use big floats and if I try putting them in the trap or outside they are a nightmare to move/store...I did my rings 2 years ago and used snap swivels but ended up leaving the attached anyway, so...I am doing 35 more and want just swivels..

Snap swivels would come in handy if you do any late fall crabbing.  I normally keep 15' lines but switch to 25-30' lines in late fall to go deep. 

Come to think of it I haven't done any of that deep crabbing last couple years.  But I'm thinking it's not so much because of the pia of putting long lines on traps.  It's more because of older age and worn out shoulders not wanting to pull those loooong lines up.

Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 01:05:52 PM »

Buy some 1/2 inch pvc pipe and cut in 12 inch sections and insert in hole in noodle until equal lengths of pvc protrude from both ends of noodle. Now wrap your excess line in figure eights around ends of pvc pipe. When you get to the length you need, do a half knot around end of  pvc.

Cc

That works..  Just suggest you round the ends of each pipe. Those pipes when cut with typical pvc pipe cutter have sharp ends.  A few years ago the first time my buddy pulled one it hit his forehead.  Made a bloody cut.   I sanded em all down but he's b.tched about the pipes every since.

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 07:05:11 PM »

Wallco....This them?.....If so, you get 5 from each @ 2"?....BUT, will they float your ring...Mine are under a pound(12+ oz) each...

https://www.easternmarine.com/5-x-11-bullet-nose-crabbing-float-orange

Yes, these are the bullet floats that I use.
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2021, 01:48:41 PM »

For the 'most' part done!!!...30 here and have 5 extra in the shed...Just need to get a roll of red tape and yellow tape to mark depths..See how these go...If I have too much float, I might cut them down to stack/fit better??...Always a learning process...

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2021, 02:05:11 PM »

For the 'most' part done!!!...30 here and have 5 extra in the shed...Just need to get a roll of red tape and yellow tape to mark depths..See how these go...If I have too much float, I might cut them down to stack/fit better??...Always a learning process...

I mark the depths with a sharpie. Has worked great for years. Don't know how long the tape would hold up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home