May 12, 2021, 12:51:11 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bear Mountain Dock  (Read 284 times)
Sethehook
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:42:28 AM »

Hello all,

New Jersey crabber here...

I'm gonna be working in Westchester area late summer and fall and was wondering about crabbing in the Hudson.

I have seen reports on here for some of you and it sounds like a nice place to stop for a few hours etc.

Are these waters far enough North of the city to allow for consumption? I get the impression you all been eating them.

If not Ill just stop and fish for awhile.

Thanks and good luck this year....

STH
Sethehook
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 01:38:34 PM »

Can anyone confirm that NY just reclassified this as a nude recreational area?

I've heard rumors

STH
Levi

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 10:41:52 AM »

I have  ;Dbeen going to the bear mountain dock and plenty of other places close by for years, haven't heard any rumors of a nude recreational area but I really don't see that happening!!! The bear mountain zoo is right there, alot of people crab and fish there and the circle line pulls in to the dock. All that said, the fishing and crabbing is really great there!!! laugh Grin
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 12:51:52 PM »

Hello all,

I'm gonna be working in Westchester area late summer and fall and was wondering about crabbing in the Hudson.

I have seen reports on here for some of you and it sounds like a nice place to stop for a few hours etc.

Are these waters far enough North of the city to allow for consumption? I get the impression you all been eating them.

STH

Take this advice as you see fit.  Back in 2010 Anthony Bourdain did a show on the hudson and they crabbed and ate those crabs which were caught right next to Indian Point.  That would be the Nuclear Power Plant Indian Point on the Hudson.  I believe the plant is to be closed next month, so by then all the 3 eyed crabs will be gone when you go late summer... laugh  

All kidding aside like you noted, there are a lot of reports on here about the hudson.  I say go for it!
Sethehook
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 01:50:52 PM »

Hawkeye & Levi,

Thanks for your responces... (finally!)

I was only kidding about the nude classification... just hoping to get a responce of some kind.

I figured as much as what your both telling me with regard to eating the crabs.

I always preach "moderation" to my kids and others that still listen to me... so 1/2 a dozen here and there shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck,,, its getting close.

STH

flagg6805

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 09:18:26 AM »

Hello all,

STH

There's a lot of places to go crabbing on the Westchester side of the Hudson including Peekskill and Yonkers. NYS recommends no more than 6 crab per week if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/75333.html
Sethehook
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 02:04:47 PM »

Thanks  fort the info...

... on that site I found this chart that might be helpfull to anyone fishing/crabbing the Hudson.

STH

https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/fish/health_advisories/regional/hudson_river_and_tributaries.htm#table
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 04:33:49 PM »

Thanks  fort the info...

... on that site I found this chart that might be helpfull to anyone fishing/crabbing the Hudson.

STH

https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/fish/health_advisories/regional/hudson_river_and_tributaries.htm#table

based on that apparently men can eat up to 24 a month.  Women (under 50) and children should not.  

Here is a much longer scientific document on the hudson from 2016.  Not sure if that is your cup of tea as this kind of info makes my eyes glaze over (haha).  
https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/bluecrabchemicals16.pdf

It can be summed up as - in 10 years time (since the last study done), the chemicals have dropped to levels that are well below FDA concerns, except for the tomalley area.  Don't eat that.  Because 24% of the crabs (sampled) still had nasty stuff in the tomalley area, they did not change the health advisory (that you linked).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home