May 16, 2021, 11:20:02 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Topsail Sound April, 28- May 1st  (Read 156 times)
saxon4646

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2021, 08:12:51 PM »

Set out 8 pots this trip - all set in 2-5 foot of water. Set a couple half pots shallow in hopes of catching some stone crabs around the oyster bars. I was surprised to see Thursday morning I had 41 crabs with 19 keepers. It STUNK after that !  No idea what happened as I toss old bait and rebait with fresh each time. Friday I caught 21 crabs with 7 keepers  and today was the worse- caught 8 crabs with just 1 lonely keeper. I think I have finally realized why my catch rates are consistently low. The area I crab at- I have waded all over- I use a Kayak to get to my pots and the entire area is constantly filling in and getting shallower and shallower. It used to be where I had to swim the pots out in places because the water was over my head. NO Longer.  Not sure anywhere I set is over 5 feet anymore. Constantly seeing boat after boat getting stuck . The area close to the ICW is full of full-timer crabbers with pots everywhere so I have tried to stay clear of those guys. I managed to catch 6 stone crabs this time- no keeper claws and caught 4 flounder in the pots. Anyway- that is my latest update.  Happy Crabbing to ALL !
LKNGreg

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 09:47:14 PM »

Thank for sharing, i hope you have better results soon.  Curious as to why the water is getting shallower?   

Best,
GS
saxon4646

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 09:16:09 AM »

So much run off is one reason- wouldn't think it would fill the sound though and constant boat traffic is washing away the protective islands between the ICW and the sound side homes . I used to fish off them and at high tide they are fully submerged and crumbling  away .
seabass

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 02:39:16 PM »

Thanks for the report Sax, sorry you didn't do well. Do you have a plane B ( backup spot to crab)? Sounds like your spot is changing due to Mother nature. Best of luck on your next trip, hope you do much better.

Greg
saxon4646

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 07:02:42 PM »

Thanks Greg- no back up plan except to get my boat running and try other spots . Seems like every time I go the wind is blowing 20+ mph  and using the kayak in somewhat protected places is much more enjoyable than heading to a public ramp.  I do have access to one private ramp but that is also in very shallow water and people constantly getting stuck

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 07:46:45 PM »

thanks for the report it will get better

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print