June 19, 2021, 05:17:43 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable Depth Finder  (Read 435 times)
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2021, 01:43:11 PM »

Looking to get either a portable(batteries??) or battery(12V) operated that CAN be moved from boat to boat...I can mount the transducer to a board etc and clamp/attach it to the transom if needed...Just looking for YOUR ideas...I'm sure it has been done...I've never had a portable or one that wasn't permanently mounted, so new territory..Don't want one that I have to reach over and manually put in the water to check the depth each time...Thx

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 06:42:34 PM »

Michael had a deep set, almost religious aversion to drilling holes in the boat. We had a Hummingbird depth finder, with a small 12V battery to power it. He clamped a board to the transom with the transducer, just as you describe, and the depth finder and battery was mounted on a board that was attached to a jon boat seat clamp. He clamped that to the seat beside him.

I don't think I have any pics of the set up, and I know where it is in the basement, but am just not into digging it out right now for a photo shoot.

Upshot is - yes, it has been done!

I can only stress on so many things in one day - looks like you're not making the list. Tomorrow isn't looking so hot, either.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 07:41:06 PM »

Disclaimer.. I know nothing about this but your question caught my interest.  Looks like a neat idea and has good reviews. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016O5HR7I/?tag=bca1-20

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Gary S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 08:04:42 PM »

I took a dead electric trolling motor apart and just used the transom clamp and shaft to hold the transducer, it was tiltable and extendable and we used it on rental boats in Canada plus my 14' skiff. Main unit was just on a board.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home