June 29, 2022, 08:46:55 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where can I use crab pots in Maryland? (Not a dock owner)  (Read 1023 times)
HomeyMoJo

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2021, 08:15:58 AM »

I'm sorry if this is a redundant topic but I just can't find any clear-cut answer on the MD DNR website nor these threads:

Where can I legally use a crab pot in Maryland?  I'm not a dock owner.  There were plenty in Assawoman Bay when I was there...I'm assuming I can't use them anywhere in the Chesapeake or any of it's rivers?  Thanks for the clarification, this has been bugging me for quite some time.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 08:28:14 AM »

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/08/08.02.03.07.htm

D. General Requirements.

(1) A person may use crab pots to catch crabs for recreational purposes only:

(a) If the person is:

(i) An owner, lessee, or tenant of a private property along the shore; or

(ii) A guest of an owner, lessee, or tenant of a private property along the shore;

(b) If using the crab pot in accordance with §§B, C, D, and H of this regulation; and

(c) If crabbing from a property located on the Chesapeake Bay or its tidal tributaries, only if the crab pots have been properly registered with the Department.

(2) Not more than two crab pots set for recreational purposes may be attached to a property or privately owned pier, regardless of the number of owners or lessees of that property.

(3) Notwithstanding §§E and G of this regulation, a crab pot set for recreational purposes shall be:

(a) Set in front of the person's property, within 100 yards of the shore, and:

(i) Attached by a line to the property or a privately owned pier or dock; or

(ii) Marked by a buoy or pole and sign; and

(b) Marked with the owner’s:

(i) DNRid number, if crabbing in the Chesapeake Bay or its tidal tributaries; or

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
HomeyMoJo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 09:00:56 AM »

Thanks for the response.

So basically it's illegal anywhere if you aren't a dock owner, but it's not addressed why it's legal in Assawoman Bay, for example...I saw tons of pots soaking there in MD...wasn't on the DE side.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 10:19:15 AM »

Thanks for the response.

So basically it's illegal anywhere if you aren't a dock owner, but it's not addressed why it's legal in Assawoman Bay, for example...I saw tons of pots soaking there in MD...wasn't on the DE side.
They are commercial crabbers.  The DNR draws lines at certain points in the Bay tributaries that commercial crabbers can only place pots below that point.

A good example is the Pocomoke Sound and the Pocomoke river.  The md/va line passes right up the center of the river.  MD's "crab line" runs from Williams point to the md/va line in the river. So, Va crabbers can place pots all the way up the river but Md crabber's can only "pot" in the Sound it's self.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
HomeyMoJo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 10:56:53 AM »

Yesssss I finally get it, thanks for the help.

Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 02:33:35 PM »

Thanks for the response.

Actually you don't have to own or have a dock to use pots.  Jack listed the regs above.  You can use up to 2 pots within 100 yards of your owned or leased property, or if you're a guest of the owner or lessee.  Just make sure the pots are registered with DNR and marked properly.

from the regs for who can use pots recreationally in MD...
(i) An owner, lessee, or tenant of a private property along the shore; or
(ii) A guest of an owner, lessee, or tenant of a private property along the shore;
a) Set in front of the person's property, within 100 yards of the shore, and:
(i) Attached by a line to the property or a privately owned pier or dock; or
(ii) Marked by a buoy or pole and sign; and
(b) Marked with the owner’s:
(i) DNRid number, if crabbing in the Chesapeake Bay or its tidal tributaries; or
(ii) Name and address, if crabbing in the Atlantic Ocean, its coastal bays, or their tidal tributaries.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home